Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zoom barbarian

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by GoldenredDragon, Mar 11, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 768

1. GoldenredDragon

GoldenredDragon IncGamers Member

Hello all !

I'll post this here, as I seem to remember challenges are always welcome in the SPF community. Sadly I'm not really an SPFer anymore as I play with a total of 3 friends occasionally, and trade. Oh well... My HC chars are self-found however. Does that count ? :D

To the challenge...

It's quite simple. Play a barb with the screen zoomed in. (the 'z' key for those who never noticed) Possibly in HC, but I wouldn't advise using high-level characters to try it out...

The idea is that as a melee character, you shouldn't be able to see any further than the enemies that are right in your face. So you play all zoomed in, and it changes the way you feel about the game. (Oh and sometimes, trees, walls and other things get in the way. I recommend turning on the monster health bars, in order to always see them, even when they are behind something)

I started a HC barb that way, and she's going into towards rakkis crossing, in normal, at level 25. It's been loads of fun, and quite the change from endless farming in inferno. The skill set is very different from my usual mobility skills, and it makes for interesting gameplay. You can't really kite, as you have no idea where other monsters are, positioning is still key (doors are you friend, as well as small spaces). Revenge shines.

So if anybody feels like it, try it out ! Play the barb in zoom mode. :) (Could possibly be a tournament, but I'm not active enough to keep track of things, and the rules would be quite simple...)

G.R.D. (usually a wizard)

2. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Ok. This idea is great. I restarted (actually, I started from scratch in Europe realm, since I'm tired of act3 runs) and remembered of this thread. My experience:

- The game art is actually good when zoomed;
    - The "horror atmosphere" is there;
    - It fells like a fast-paced old action game, but 3D!

If you like games like Final Fight 2, Turtles in time, etc. (Beat'em up), I strongly suggest the zoomed barb idea. I plan to beat the game self-found that way. I'm not actually playing this week, but saturday afternoon I'll seriously invest time on this.

(Surprisingly, this game is very good zoomed :scratchhead:)

Another points of interest:

- Jondar looks a lot like D2 necromancer. With back problems, but still...
    - This game's overall art makes a lot more sense zoomed in

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. BaronScarpia

I really felt need to bump this thread, because the idea is relly awesome. (If you want the Tl,dr version, see the spoiler tag above).

One of the reasons that really impacted my immersion on D3 was the lack of Light Radius. D2 light radius, even when "annoying", actually helped with the "terror feeling".

Just to clarify: while "zoomed in", sometimes a champion pack just teleports into your face and beats you. Or a champion pack with nightmarish makes you run 2 screens or so.

Also, while the D3 soundtrack is good (music-wise), I don't feel it as relevant (game-wise) as the other games' soundtrack. I had a blast playing the game while listening to early Iron Maiden. Can see it working with Black Sabbath (N.I.B., Paranoid, Iron Man, etc.) or Iced Earth (Horror Show album - don't know the band enough).

If you're into "Classical"(-ish) music, I could see it working with Beethoven, "Dark" Mozart (Some "Don Giovanni" sections, Requiem, "Funeral March") or even Barroque music...

It fells like D3-director's-cut-enhanced-dark-gloom-version. (If you're considering it, go with barbarian or monk, since melee just makes more sense, imo).

4. GoldenredDragon

GoldenredDragon IncGamers Member

Thanks for the support man !

I really enjoy doing this for a change of pace. It changes the game, like you said.

I'm not quite sure it would work with a monk, as in my experience, the monk really needs the mobility to stay alive (until later stages of the game), but on the other hand, it could work with the witch doctor. That dude has loads of spells that are short range, and sort-of melee.

I really hope more people try it out, and have fun with the possibilities it offers.

G.R.D. (However, it doesn't help the paragon leveling..)

5. BaronScarpia

One of the console features that seems to be nice is the "zoom in" the game makes sometimes. I wish we could have levels of zoom (like-ish racing games) because sometimes trees get in your way. :)