Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zidane finally responds...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mhl12, Jul 12, 2006. | Replies: 41 | Views: 1411

1. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

2. TaytoTheFirst

TaytoTheFirst IncGamers Member

This is what lip readers made of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhmN_cOnbmk&mode=related&search=

Apparantly Zidane said something along the lines of "If you want my *deleted* shirt i'll give it to you after the game.

Materazzi is just making it worse for himself by denying it, but i can't see Italian's being bothered about it at all.

Tayto,

Do not bypass the word filter again

Freet
  3. EliManning

EliManning IncGamers Member

Materazzi did admit to insulting him though. That Reuters article isn't very clear about that. It actually makes it out like Materazzi worships Zidane and would never insult him or something.

It's sort of a red flag to me that he's saying "I didn't know his mother was in the hospital" and claiming he didn't insult her. Why would you even mention that if you didn't say anything about her?
  4. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

The fact that he claims to be so ignorant that he couldn't call Zidane a terrorist because 'I don't even know what a terrorist is' also rings about as false as it gets.
  5. Cdnexpat

Cdnexpat IncGamers Member

This is what Materazzi said:
    "I said nothing to him about race, religion or politics. I did not talk about his mother either," the defender was quoted as saying.

"I lost my mother when I was 15 and it still upsets me to talk about it. Of course I didn't know that his mother was in hospital. I send her my best wishes."

He is responding to the things that people have speculated he said. Even Zindane says Materazzi did not call him a terrorist, so I would think speculation about that would be dead. "Zidane denied Materazzi called him an Islamic "terrorist," as was reported by a Paris-based anti-racism group."

You guys can dissect what happened all day, in the end regardless of what Materazzi said Zidane did not have the right to head butt him. Zidane deserved to be red carded and he should be stripped of the "best player" award. While I am at it, if that half assed apology (I am sorry but it isn't my fault) was the best he can do he shouldn't have bothered.
  6. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Well at the very least that does indeed kill the terrorist remark garbage. In fact, had it been proven that this indeed was the insult, the rules of FIFA have a clause in them that would make the offender's team automatically lose a game for remarks such as those. That's why there was some talk the last couple of days about stripping the title from the Italians.

As long as Zizou admitted that this wasn't the case, then the Italians can be secure in the knowledge that their title is indeed safe.

As for Zidane himself, if that's the insult that got him ticked off then it must be the arabic blood in him. From what I understand, insults like that get thrown around ALL the time in football, in all levels of play.
  7. Cdnexpat

Cdnexpat IncGamers Member

Insults like that get thrown around in sport at all levels of play.
  8. EliManning

EliManning IncGamers Member

What I'm hearing from someone who saw the actual interview is that Zidane said Materazzi's insults were ones that struck at the very core of his being and his mother and sister were sort of thrown in as afterthoughts to that. Maybe the specific word "terrorist" wasn't used but it sounds pretty ominous, especially with Materazzi admitting to insulting Zidane but not revealing what the insult was.

FALSE. Getting a red card doesn't make you a lesser player. He's already served the punishment that goes with a red card.
  9. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Agreed.

In a separate news story, I saw Materazzi say thast to him 'the mother is sacred' which, coupled with the story of his own mother, I doubt that was the insult used. Yes, Zidane did say that he could have his shirt, as Materazzi was holding on to it for dear life.

Regardless, Zidane headbutted the guy and was red carded. Words were said, a response was made, and consquences were faced. What's the big deal?
  10. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

That's what I was thinking. Materazzi probably earned it. Zidane violated the rules and got his punishment. Let it go.

I laughed when I saw it. The good part of me loved it, and loved Zidane for it. Great as it was though, this will not ruin football, and it won't ruin his career.
  11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Do I have to understand sport to see why this is such a big deal?
  12. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

No. Remember Janet Jackson flashing he teat? This is the same thing, only cool. It's got nothing to do with the game but everything to do with society.

EDIT: ... and our fascination with heroes.
  13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

14. Zodijackyl

Zodijackyl IncGamers Member

This incident has produced many wonderful animated images on the internet. I don't really like the YTMND ones though. Most of the images off YTMND are just stolen from other sites and thrown into an unfunny cliche joke on a site that got old after 15 minutes :(
  15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, YTMND has no filter so what do you expect?
  16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's a good one. I think I put it up in the other thread.

Memes 4eva.
  18. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

He denies insulting his mother only...

We know, and there are a few threads back on this.
  19. myleftfoot

Rubbish. You really think they would strip the Italians of their title from one man's word over another?
  20. myleftfoot

It's like Michael Jordon headbutting some guy in one of the most important matches of his life 2 minutes before the end. It's gonna be a talking point. Of course you can substitute Michael Jordon for whatever sports personality you choose.