Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Your character being Stunned, Feared, and Charmed

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Such Violent Storms, Sep 16, 2011. | Replies: 52 | Views: 5027

1. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

Your character being Stunned, Feared, and Charmed

I wonder how these work?

Stunned is pretty simple actually, your character is just... stunned. Feared and charmed are more interesting; in D2, they just didn't effect you at all. So, if my charactr becomes Feared, does he just run away not under my control? Better yet, if my character becomes Charmed, does he start attacking my party members automagically? Do my skills suddenly have Friendly Fire turned on?

I personally don't like the idea of a battle-torn hero fleeing at the sight of a ghost, and I really don't like the idea of losing control of my character.
  2. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

Re: Your character being Stunned, Feared, and Charmed

This is why people think some ideas were taken straight from WoW.

They shouldn't do this. Keep it simple, D2 style.
  3. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

that's the way it works in Rift PvP, and its the dumbest most annoying thing ever

4. AlexanderBarin

AlexanderBarin Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Same as WoW, yeah, not very fun. Hopefully in D2, it just makes you stand still until you take dmg (then it dispells).

5. vileguy

vileguy IncGamers Member

Fear will probably make you run away. This will add excitement and danger as you could potentially run into a group of enemies and have to fight more.

Charm is more unknown. Maybe it will work like confused in D2.

As for being a battle-torn hero that is feared, fear isn't necessarily being scared of what you see, it could be that your mind has been dominated and that you are seeing hallucinations that cause you to see the most horrific things imaginable. Anybody who doesn't have some fear just doesn't have rationale/sense.
  6. Player

Player IncGamers Member

How about keeping it subtle ? Jesus christ have you people lost your minds with these autismal details ?!

Like dude... When you see diablo like, you pee yourself a little, so you get -4 dex penalty cuz your pants are wet. En then that unwashed pee causes a rash in your crotch so you take 5 damage per second. It all make sense dewd yeah. We want this to be epic.

7. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Making other players lose control of their character... ridiculous amount of fun.

Losing control of your own character... pretty much the opposite.
  8. vileguy

vileguy IncGamers Member

I don't know why you're being so abrasive, and I don't quite understand which direction you're going or if you're being sarcastic. Of course these things you're expressing will not be in the game.

9. Turnip

Turnip IncGamers Member

Yep making players lose control of their character is bad gameplay, I remember dungeon runners that was so lame. Its creating a harder difficulty by using cheap tactics.
  10. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

If these forums prove anything at all, it is that peoples concepts of fun is wildly different.

Don't have a problem with losing control of my characters either, as long as you had a reasonable chance to avoid it in the first place. Like 'run away from this mob within 2 sec or you'll get feared'.
  11. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I think stun's okay as long as the duration is very short.

Fear is more annoying but could also be okay with a short duration.

Charm's rediculous; hopefully it will be changed to a debuff of some sort in pvp.

I don't mind these things in games where I control 4 or 6 chars, but in D3 being stunned/feared/charmed isn't gonna be much fun.

I'm okay with it being in the game as long as the devs took enough time to work on it.
  12. Such Violent Storms

Don't try and verify how a character's mind is affected. Twenty years ago in the Diablo timeline I plunged my character into the most horrifying situations imaginable and saved the world 3 times. Bantering about nonsense isn't going to get anywhere. Ultimately losing control of your character is a disconnect for the player.

If my screen is filled with effects from skills as Blizzard states, and players on my team get charmed, I'm suddenly amid hostile friends; I have to pay attention to who is charmed and who is not, which skills belong to who, which are enemies and which are friends, etc.

The issue at hand is that fear/charm make for bad gameplay. Fear ruins immersion and is frankly just annoying, and I don't even want to think about how terrible Charm is.

13. ShadoutMapes

Charm might be problematic yeah. Can't really see what should be so bad about fear. Its Stun - with movement.
  14. Such Violent Storms

Ah, I'm glad you brought that up! Fear is effectively stun and then the computer takes control of your mouse. That's a pretty big disconnect, if you think about it.

Sure, there's the singular gameplay design element of "Oh, well, what if... perhaps, the fear causes you to run into a group of mobs! Aha! See, exciting!" when in actuality it's just not fun. Blizzard throws around the word "fun" a lot. If something is fun it's more likely to be included, and it won't be in the game if it's not fun. That's pretty simple; and it's just as simple to say that fear/charm are not fun.

15. ShadoutMapes

It is still an opinion that fear & charm is not fun though.

Charm can be quite fun, for some people - as in WoW where someone gets charmed and everyone else rush to kill the bastard for laughs (less fun in hardcore mode I guess...), or you get charmed and take 3 steps and oneshots a friend with your 500% dmg buff from the charm effect.

However I don't really think the above fits in Diablo either.
  16. Such Violent Storms

Right, some people do enjoy that sort of gameplay. And in MMOs it can work, but in any sort of action game like GuildWars or especially Diablo it just isn't attractive. If people enjoy Fearing people they can play WoW. I think Diablo should be a break from that and remain consistent with a player's expectations of fast-paced gameplay that makes your hero feel truly heroic. Namean?

17. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

Pretty much all that needed to be said. Of course you go into PvP knowing all of the control skills and all of the ways to get out of it. It's part of the learning curve.

18. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Death is unfun and not heroic. They should remove dying.
  19. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I love the idea of being potentially mind-controlled as long as it is reasonably avoidable.
  20. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

I got a better idea. They should give some monster mind control and then give us the Bioshock hacking minigame to break out of it.