Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Yet another gear advice thread

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Kanji, Mar 17, 2013. | Replies: 3 | Views: 2895

1. Kanji

Kanji IncGamers Member

I recently came into my first decent-sized windfall of gold and, having never had this much at once, am looking to figure out where I should start with upgrades.

Here's my profile:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kanjihack-1673/hero/9832654

First off, I have a budget of 55 million gold. I put my current gear set together for around 5-10 million gold and am generally pretty stingy, so I'd prefer not to spend most of this on one or two pieces unless they're really essential.

Effective DPS and burst damage are more substantive to me than sheet dps.

I like 1h+off-hand better than 2-handers, mostly for aesthetic reasons, but also because I cannot stand the attack speed of 2h weapons. Based on the way gameplay feels with frenzied shrines, getting to 2 APS is a stretch goal for me, but I don't feel the need to go higher than that. I farm pretty well at MP4, but I have to throttle my damage output against reflects when I'm not using Healing Blades. I don't have problems with damage output in higher MP levels than that, but sustain is a bit of a problem. Given those two things, I would be willing to spend pretty lavishly on a lifesteal weapon.

Obviously I have a decent idea of what I want, I just never really bothered to look at medium-high profile gear since I just didn't have the spending power for it, so I'm not really sure how to be efficient about this.

Thanks for your time!
  2. ChrisTheMean

ChrisTheMean IncGamers Member

Looking at you build (mine is similar), I can vouch for the need for sustain. For a wiz with good EHP, 3 piece zuni set of chest, ring and boots is hard to beat IMO. The ring can get expensive if you want CC or AS, but a basic one can work until you can budget for a good one. I don't know if lifesteal on your weapon is that critical for this type of wiz build; raising your resists with the zuni set and picking up some regen is much cheaper and seems to help alot against reflect as well. I would say a rare wand with about 1100dps, APOC and a socket would work for you and be well within your budget (maybe 5-20mil depending on quality). If you don't really need the APOC, that sword you have right now isn't bad. However, getting your APOC from the weapon would allow you to switch you hat for a mempo or good tal helm which are much better IMO.
    GL
  3. Kanji

Kanji IncGamers Member

Started actually looking at the numbers on it and I think I'll definitely look into at least getting the chest and boots from Zuni's. I already have 750+ AR, so I'll probably stick with rare rings until I can afford a duo Pox. You sure about the LS? I was running with almost 2k LoH and another 400 or so regen awhile ago and I honestly barely even noticed a difference when I dropped down to the numbers I'm currently at. The LoH, in particular, barely seems to do anything, given how bad all my proc scalars are. I feel like actually getting some substantive healing via Blizzard would make a big difference. I probably won't be doing this, either way, since I'm noticing the prices on life steal weapons are far, far higher than they were when I stopped playing a few months ago :/

[EDIT] To be clear, my sustain is great with Healing Blades, I just would prefer to be able to use Deep Cuts since it seems to produce quite a bit more damage (honestly a lot higher than it seems like it should xD) and I enjoy the utility I get from the higher proc scalar. As an aside, does anybody know how, exactly, the DoT is applied? Like, is it 15%/sec for each individual blade hit, or is the 45% divided evenly across all three hits - meaning 5%/sec per hit, obviously - as with the 165% damage? I use it all the time but for some reason never really paid attention to the numbers and didn't think about testing it until now.

Thanks for the advice! It's nice to get a fresh perspective, every now and then. I was pretty set with my build before posting this, but trying to plan out where to upgrade has gotten me thinking about just transitioning over to SNS since it seems like it'd be a lot easier to slot upgrades in as I'm able to afford them xD
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. NightCraweler

NightCraweler IncGamers Member

1st with meteor life steal is amazing.(I refilled my entire health pool in a single hit.)*note* This doesn't mean loh is bad. Aside that look for a witching hour and zuni's pox as mentioned above. I can't answer your question about the dot with spectral as I don't use it. My meteor build on d3up (I post d3up cause I use multiple builds)