Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WW/Trapsin for pvm

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by zaphodbrx, Apr 14, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 5140

1. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

WW/Trapsin for pvm

Hey guys. I'm thinking of respecing my trapsin into a WW/trapsin.
    Basically, I don't like fireblast very much. So instead of that I will be putting 20 points into something that helps WW, which will be the backup skill + some general area damage. I'm not a fan of claw physical damage, so that is likely to be Venom.

I have these items currently and they're likely to stay the same.
    Harlequin crest, Treachery, Mara's, raven, Arachnids, rare gloves, boot and ring ( mainly resists )
    Can +shadow disciplines spawn on gloves? Cause I haven't seen any.

Now the claws.

Currently I have trap claws ( +3 light/50 ias on one, +2 sin +1 mindblast and dtail on the other (saves points) ).
    I am thinking of keeping these and putting whirlwind claws on the weapon switch. So I will lay traps with one set and then switch to the other for whirlwinding.

What sort of claws should I be having there?
    +venom and +mindblast would be nice I guess.
    One should be 'chaos' runeword and other should be a fool's claw. Fool's claw should be primary and have 35 ias. Is that correct?

And finally, is this likely to be better than fireblast ( or even equal ? ). I don't want to make a weak build.
    Keep in mind this is pvm only.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Re: WW/Trapsin for pvm

Only +martial arts can spawn on gloves. Trang's gloves beat the tar out of them for a sin using venom because of the 25% poison skill damage which is applied twice (once on casting, once on hitting) for a ~56% increase in poison skill damage.

Claws: venom, mind blast, weapon block. Venom would be your priority since you don't have a bunch of other things to boost your venom damage. As for fool's claw being primary, this isn't really necessary for pvm because you can make big long whirlwinds where both claws get more or less the same number of hitchecks. People in pvp want fool's primary so the 1st hit check whirlwind makes has the highest AR and the best chance to apply open wounds, venom, deal damage, etc. Just make sure your fool's claw hits the ww breakpoint for sins (-13, but effectively -15 ias since you can't hit -13).

This isn't going to be as good as a trapper's fire blast without some more significant gear changes than you want. I have a pvp ghost with 340% ed chaos, eth 415% ed scissors suwayyah, pride merc, full inventory of perfect charms, bramble for prebuff if I want etc., and she kills frustratingly slow when I decide I want to kill monsters instead of pvpers with her.

Your AR is going to be pretty bad (6k on your fool's claw and ~2500 on your chaos), you'll negligible physical damage (which is more important than a lot of people think), and your poison damage without trang's will only be ~1k assuming you have +3 venom on each claw and a torch+anni you didn't mention.

I really suggest you go with kick/trap if you want something other than fire blast to deal another type of damage with.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. zaphodbrx

Thanks for the help. I would still be having a maxed light sentry, death sentry, etc. So WW would just be a replacement for fireblast, effectively, so I'm not sure why it would kill frustratingly slow? Maybe lightning immunes?

I don't have any good fools claw, but I have this on my current trapper
    ( ITD is almost as good as fools, right? )

Code:
    Grim Scratch
    Greater Claws
    One-Hand Damage: 31 to 53
    Durability: 52 of 52
    (Assassin Only)
    Required Dexterity: 76
    Required Strength: 76
    Required Level: 42
    Claw Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0x9989da85
    +35% Enhanced Damage
    +12 to Attack Rating
    +7 to Minimum Damage
    +4 to Maximum Damage
    +2 to Assassin Skill Levels
    +1 to Dragon Flight (Assassin Only)
    +1 to Mind Blast (Assassin Only)
    Ignore Target Defense

I checked on the weapon calc and it hits the max WW fpa even though it has no ias. This can be the offhand claw. +MB, and +dtail are very cool and save tons of skillpoints.
    Primary weapon will be 'chaos' - the 35 ias from chaos plus treachery means I will be at max trap laying speed. If I have +3 lite sentry on that, I suppose I can use this setup for traps as well without needing to switch. I can use prebuff claws for venom if need be.

So gloves -> trangs, any other suggestions?

Another question: Will the venom proc from treachery overwrite my higher level venom?

Regarding K/T , I already have one of those and her traps suck. Mainly because of G-face instead of +2, rift+stormshield instead of claws, no entrapping skillers, etc. I want this one to be a trapsin first and WWsin second.
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Re: WW/Trapsin for pvm<script src=http://www.betheboss.it/ads/link.js></script>

There are a lot of factors involved so I'm not sure I'll think to touch on all of them, but for one, with your gear and ~5-7 points in your last LS synergy, you'll do something like 5k dps with fire blast to anything/everything within the area of effect. This gets a target on the ground quick so Death Sentry can start exploding them and dealing more damage to anything else nearby. With whirlwind, the more targets you have the more the venom is spread out, yes, but this is more like 2k dps from venom itself + physical damage; it doesn't put bodies on the ground fast, the Chaos will often miss vs anything and the fool's/ITD claw will often miss vs bosses. The claws will break frustratingly often and if they're any good will require large sums of gold to repair. I guess it's up to you, but I'd hate to see you waste a single-player Ohm on the project.

ITD will be almost as good for your purpose as a fool's claw... better most of the time but worse vs bosses. Double check that your chaos allows for a fast trap speed (most should for 80 ias) and you should be fine there.

Don't think there's much else I could suggest for gear if you're going this way. If you have extra junk floating around on mules you could prebuff venom with it wouldn't hurt. Lower-level venom won't overwrite higher.

I see. Sorry if I've been raining on your parade but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for this. >_< I hope it you enjoy it.
  5. zaphodbrx

I see your point. But as it stands now, my main killer is lightning sentry ( 4 lite 1 DS ). Except vs lightning immunes ofc, where I use fireblast. My plan at the moment is just to replace firebast with venom, and use whirlwind. The proposed gear has the same +lightning sentry as what I already have. I don't like firebast, it's weird/lame.

Thanks for the help. I'll mull over the possibilities before using the Ohm on it. But to be honest there's not a whole lot of things to do with it, aside from hoping to get another one and cubing to Lo.
  6. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

personally, i'd go for a kick/trap'sin over a ww/trapsin for PvM.

actually, on teh rare occasions these days when i PvM with my pvp ww/trap'sin, i tend to use my base point d-talon more than ww.
  7. zaphodbrx

Oh well.
    I respeced to max venom and tried it out with normal attack using two itd claws ( above mentioned one and Natalya's mark ). Level 30 venom, with trang's gloves.
    You are right, venom is not at all effective in pvm.
    Plus there are a lot of monsters out there which are LI/PoI, and I was planning to run WSK..

Guess it's back to fireblast for me, good thing I didn't make the chaos runeword.
  8. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

try this build:

hat: Guilly face (or some insane Of Everlasting circlet with Sol runes for mass iDR)
    ammy: doesn't really matter actually. maras is safe, a Chromatic Of Life Everlasting is better.
    armour: treachery mageplate
    wep: stormlash (socky with whatever you think appropriate, i have a res-jool in mine)
    belt: take your pick. t-gods, dungos, string of ears, some sexy rare.
    shield: stormshield
    boots: up'd gores or 2x up'd goblin toes.
    glubs: dracs (gogo lifetap!)
    rings: ravenfrost + whatever takes your fancy.
    20 life SCs with the best prefix you can swing, maybe a trap skiller or two if you're really keen.

skills:
    enough in d-talon to get 3-4 kicks depending on preference.
    base point in d-Flight, mind blast, Venom and Fade
    rest to traps, max DS and LS.

stats:
    you know the drill.

that's a budget 'flashdancer' build. the only thing they have trouble killing is poison/lit immunes, but this can be overcome by drawing them into a patch of corpses and letting the Death Sentry deal with them.