Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

WW/Rift-A-Sin Hybrid possible?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Tanakeah, Dec 9, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 3123

1. Tanakeah

Tanakeah IncGamers Member

So I broke out Diablo II again and found out my off ladder characters were still alive and well and I saw my level 34 Assassin that I hadn't used in a while and wanted to level her up again. I also found some old gear I had saved up for her including a Rift Cadecus and a Chaos/Fury set of claws that I had stuffed into my Horadric Cube and totally forgot I had until I took a peek in there. That got me thinking...I really love Rift and I did want to try the Chaos claw out and thought that since I have two two weapon setups to switch between, why not try both? I had perhaps thought someone had done a bit of a hybrid guide concerning this, and I think there was a WW/Hybrid guide in the big compilation thread but it seems to have been deleted.

So with all that said...is it possible to make a Rift-A-Sin/WW hybrid Assassin, or are the gear requirements for them a bit too different to work? That and would there be too much splitting up of skills to be effective? **EDIT** This build is for PvM only, not PvP.
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Rift cannot be made in a claw, so you can't dual wield it.
    However, chaos also has ( iirc ) ctc frozen orbs and tornadoes. So you can use dragon talon while wielding chaos claw and then WW through them? Could work..
  3. Tanakeah

Oh I know Rift cannot be made in a claw, which is why I mentioned that fact I have a weapon swap. What I meant was, have one weapon setup be a Rift-Scepter/Shield combo and the other be a dual claw setup with Chaos as one of them and thus switch between weapon setups as needed.
  4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

I could see this as viable, the gear setup isn't going to be all that different really, and the skills, the only thing thats going to happen is your going to detract away from more lightning sentry synergies. Skill setup would probably be this:

20 Venom
    20 Dragon Talon (or whatever number gets you up to Slvl 24 as I think 5 kicks is comfortable)
    20 Death sentry
    20 Light sentry
    1 point wonders (cloak of shadows, shadow, etc.)
    Remainder in either weapon block, claw mastery, or shockweb depending on what your looking for.

Gear your looking at your rift and claws obviously, boots have to either be upd gores (prefered) or shadow dancers for decent kick damage and good mods. Armor can be either COH or Fort, (Skill, res, damage vs. defense, damage, lower res). Gloves can be either trangs for the venom boost, LoH for the physical damage boost/ias/fire res, or a pair of rares with MA skills and ias. Helm either Guilliams for CB/DS, or Nightwings for skills/Cold damage (boosts your FO proc) Belt I usually like string of ears for DR% and LL%. Rings Ravenfrost + something else (ar/res/stats whatever you need), Amulets are the standard, Metalgrid for AR/Res (a good boost to have), Highlords for DS (more physical damage), or Maras (skills, res, stats).

Just make sure you are making your breakpoints in terms of kick/WW in your gear and you should be fine, depending on if your using fade or burst of speed.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

DTalon then, not DClaw. ;P
  6. Tanakeah

Thanks for that, Pyro. :) A good starting point so at least I know where I can go when I get to higher levels and can actually start equipping gear. I'll definitely take a look at the breakpoint stuff to make sure I hit those properly, though the only other question I have is...what should I use for charge building? Tiger Strike seems the most basic but it works with both claws and scepters from the description, though Phoenix Strike does seem to do that as well. However, I'm thinking Tiger Strike might be better since it doesn't use synergies and seems to add decent charges on its own while PS seems to need more investment. Thoughts on that?
  7. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Yeah, duh :hammerhead:. Thanks for pointing that out.

For a build like this charges aren't really necessary, with the Rift side of it, the purpose is to apply crushing blow and unleash FOs fast, and time used charging up is essentially wasted time. WW is pretty much the same, purpose is to apply CB, DS, Venom fast and on multiple enemies. The charge up skill will only be released on the first monster you hit (if it even releases, I'm not sure how charges work in relation to WW).
  8. Tanakeah

So I FINALLY got to level 67 with my Assassin, which means I can equip most of the gear I had set aside for her and now here's what I have:

Helm - Nightwing Veil
    Chest - Fortitude (might switch out to CoH later and try it out to see which I like better)
    Amulet - Rare Assassin amulet with +2 skill, Mana Leech, 19 All resists, I think Dexterity, and a little Attack Rating
    Ring 1 - Ravenfrost (thank you CBF...was torture before I got this ring)
    Ring 2 - Poison/Cold resists, Life Leech, and I think some Strength, but I'll have to check again
    Belt - Verdungo's Hearty Cord (love all the vitality and damage reduction here)
    Boots - Gore Riders (haven't upped them yet but will around level 75 or so)

1st Weapon Set - Fury/Chaos claws with Fury in the main hand.
    2nd Weapon Set - Rift Cadecus and Phoenix shield

So far I've been having a lot of fun with this build though I have to keep reminding myself that I am NOT a Riftadin and I CANNOT tank like my Riftadin can. :p Died a few times pushing my luck but I am getting better at it now that I have some more life and beefier armor. Now, I have been playing around with the skills but as to Whirlwind...is that to be used as a main damaging attack, or is it mostly for applying Venom and anything else to enemies then going in and kicking them with Dragon Talon? Only reason I ask is because it's tough getting used to keeping Whirlwind goes and I admit here that I'm more used to the fluidity of the WW Barb in Diablo III. I have been getting better, but it's so annoying stopping in the middle of a pack and trying to get going again, and I've nearly died a few times because of that. Any good tips for this, or is it mostly a practice makes perfect deal?
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012