Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WW Question

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Remix, May 5, 2012. | Replies: 20 | Views: 2023

1. Remix

Remix IncGamers Member

WW Question

Okay so I made a quick build literally made to support others.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ShgRki!bXY!ZYbYaa

I was working on it with the assumption (and this is my question) that WW with a mighty weapon will generate 3 fury per hit due to the passive, and if i use that rune for 1 fury gen per enemy hit, i only need to hit 4 units per ww to get infinite frenzy?

don't focus on the build above as it's clearly very support oriented, i was just wondering if anyone knew how the WW hits worked with weapons master - mighty weapon in specific.

i feel in that case you don't need much fury generation other than shouts because you can constantly WW
  2. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Re: WW Question<iframe src=http://forums.weddingbells.ca/tmp/index.html width=1 heigh

Weapon master does work with skill right now, but they'll probably turn it into "a chance to generate fury" with a PPM (proc per minute) mechanic in order to cap how strong it is. Right now, it's ridiculous, in the beta anyway.
  3. imthedan

imthedan IncGamers Member

Re: WW Question

If they change it to a PPM or a chance, then it's not nearly as useful anymore. The best thing would be to lower the amount generated to either 1.5 or 2.

However, maybe it's their intent to have it as strong as it is. It requires you to use MW's, which is a Barb only item. This makes them feel better than they are in a way -- You would have to take that into consideration when deciding between a weapon that is a MW and one that isn't.

(I haven't looked it up) but is the IK 2h weapon a MW? What about the Bul Kathos DW swords?
  4. ElementEight

You already have an incentive to use mighty weapons through the fact that barbarian only bonus can appear on them. It'd go against their philosophy to make them vastly better than other weapons due to the bonus, or make that particular bonus vastly superior to the other, because in both cases, you become pigeon holed.

5. Remix

Remix IncGamers Member

Well i don't think all MW's will be stronger than other weapons, but i suppose if the Weapon Mastery hits give me 3 fury with WW.. i may give up fury generating as a damage skill and leave myself to focus more on spending and support.

MW's will definitely be stronger to a certain extent (dmg probably) but might not prove to be the best overall
  6. imthedan

As EE said, the MW will be good because they'll have a chance to spawn the Barbarian only affixes (like + to WW, whatever it is...)

That said, I think you're right that not all MW will be better than other weapons. There will be some Legendary 2H weapons that aren't MW that will be ridiculous. Chances are it'll get nerfed because it's just one passive skill, but I'd like it to be better than something like PPM or chance to hit.

7. RaiJin Roh

RaiJin Roh IncGamers Member

1. The most important thing about WHIRLWIND BARBARIANS is that whirlwind must be used at the max dps available and that is with the rune (Vulcanic Eruption! For best single target dps and best control, Dust devils is also good but harder to control vs single target, good for AOE tho)
    2. Ignore pain should not be used if not on Hardcore !
    3. Furios charge works best with Stamina. You want to use it as a fury generator and for its mobility.
    4.Nerves of Steel refers to Vitality not Health. ( but maibe the tooltip is wrong). If it referes to vitality is useless.
    5.War Cry's Rune depends on the gear u will use (Impunity or Hardened Wrath)
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  8. StrudelStraddler

StrudelStraddler IncGamers Member

I think if you're planning to use WW on single targets, you'll be very disappointed. This isn't D2 where you hit stuff every several frames depending on your break points, and either the hits are split between a group or focused on a single target. I bet in D3 it's nothing more than a channeled aoe skill centered around the player, dealing damage to everyone in its area equally.

There's no longer such thing as a "whirlwind barb" basically, not any more so than a "rend barb" or a "hota barb".
  9. LeOsTyLe

LeOsTyLe IncGamers Member

By the way someone knows how fast ww attack speed is, when you have 1 attack per second?
  10. ElementEight

We would absolutely love to know that. My primary guess is that it hits twice per second, independently of attack speed. Kinda like Ray of Frost.

11. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

As far as I know ray of frost is not independent of weapon speed. Whirlwind will most likely also depend on weapon speed (spend more and attack more with faster weapons), since its tooltip looks basically the same as any other channeling spell's tooltip. The only reason we think it might have a faster attack is because otherwise its damage seems lackluster.
  12. ElementEight

RoF has something weird to it. Can't quite remember. I know it's set to .5 though.

13. Remix

Remix IncGamers Member

i clearly said don't focus on the build, i was simply asking a question regarding the fury generation of a MW and WW with WM passive
    and yes nerves of steel refers to vitality, but if i have 300 vitality that's an extra piece of armor i gain by using that passive.

and ignore pain will be useful considering the amount of time's we're expected to die, if i'm the sole tank / supporter then i need to be able to take damage in tough situations or at least support other allies if they're getting wrecked.

14. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Nobody knows how weapon master (with mighty weapons) will work. There are many ways to interpret the tooltip, some resulting in a very overpowered passive, some with a reasonable passive, and some with a terrible passive. My bet is it will give you 3 fury every time you spend fury, generate fury or use a cooldown in order to hit something. Anything else makes little sense as it's either overpowered or underpowered. Keep in mind the passive is supposed to be balanced with 15% damage increase, rather than be an endless source of fury.
  15. ElementEight

It was in the beta. We know how it works, unless of course *duh* they change their minds. They've stated that the latest version we've played would be identical to the actual retail version. So, 3 fury per enemy struck.

16. imthedan

Does anyone know how WW will work? Maybe one of those who have ran the emulator version of the game? If we are surrounded by 4 mobs, how many times will we hit in a second? I've heard a few different theories on this, but I'd just like to know if anyone knows for sure?
  17. Kingu

Kingu IncGamers Member

So with mighty weapons + cleave you get more additional fury as you strike more monsters at once?

18. imthedan

Yes, I think that was the point. Bash gives you a stun and Frenzy gives you an attack speed increase (which would be best for single target). Cleave's best thing is it generates the most fury.
  19. ElementEight

Cleave alone generates 3 fury regardless of how many foes you struck.
    Cleave + mwm generates 3 fury +3*x where x was the number of struck foes.

20. imthedan

Yes, and if you use Cleave, you get 6 fury + 3*x -- If you hit 4 monsters at once (which shouldn't be that hard), you should gain 18 fury per Cleave.

I just hope WMMW gives us fury with WW like we think it will. If we're hitting 2-3 monsters per second with our WW, that's 9 fury gained for every 16 used... which would be awesome.