Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wots yer build?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Pijus, May 20, 2012. | Replies: 89 | Views: 8265

1. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

So, I have D3, the full, non-starter edition. I like it well enough, although I can't wait to play with FE.

I thought a good thing to discuss is what sort of character we're playing. What skills are you using, which runes, how do you combine them? Anything you're focusing on in your gear?

I'll go first. Playing a wizard. Using Frost Nova with shatter, Shock bolts with explosive bolts, freeze ray, wave of force, ice armor. I am currently at the start of act2. Gear isn't particularly focused on anything. I do like to get MF when I can.

The thing I like about this combination of skills is that it decimates groups of smaller enemies. Cast frost nova, they all get frozen. Cast shock bolts, and when you on them dies, there's a little shock explosion that usually kills a few more enemies who also explode, and they also cause their buddies to explode. Combine that with a 50% chance to cast frost nova when a frozen enemy dies, and you're nigh untouchable by smaller critters.

Freeze ray is my single target attack, and wave of force I use for breaking pots. And sometimes knocking away dangerous enemies.

Passive perk is power hungry. Turn health globes into mana potion basically.

So, what have you got going?

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Wiz, level 32 right now.

Gear: Everything is max damage. Every item has intelligence, +damage, or +ias, or 2 of those. I've been lucky I guess, and many items also have things like +vita (life is ~2400).

Skills: Electrocute (chain lightning), Disintegrate (convergence), Diamond Skin (prism), Archon, Magic Weapon (electrify), Familiar (sparkflint), Astral Presence, Power Hungry, Glass Cannon.

Act 3 was a cake walk. Act 4 has been mostly so; also not quite done with that act. (all normal diff)

Listed damage is now 625. The forces of hell melt before me. I rarely get hit, and when I do, I just hit Diamond Skin and then a health pot.

3. Mostly_Harmless

Mostly_Harmless IncGamers Member

I've been running a monk (for the moment; I keep getting distracted and switching) and just got to the Nightmare Skeleton King.

My skills are: Deadly Reach with Piercing Trident, Fists of Thunder with Lightning Flash, Breath of Heaven with Circle of Life, Serenity with Peaceful Repose, Mystic Ally with Water Ally and Mantra of Evasion with Divine Protection. My passives are Transcendence, Sixth Sense and Guardian's Path.

The general gameplan is to either get behind the Water Ally or kite while using Deadly Reach. This clears out groups very well without getting me into too much trouble. If I get something on its own (like when boss packs get spread out from kiting) I usually switch to Fists of Thunder to kill more quickly. My chance to dodge is in the 50-60% range (depending on which attack skill I'm using), and between Breath of Heaven, Serenity and Transcendence I have a lot of staying power.

I don't know if I should be stacking dodge so much for general questing, but it's insane versus bosses. The build has a nice combination of AoE, single-target damage and safety. We'll see how it works as I move through Nightmare.

4. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

I'm only at level 10. Thinking of deleting and restarting so I can play through at normal speed rather than super slow-mo (got a new graphics card). Demon Hunter using Caltrops, Hunger Arrow, and Rapid Fire as my 3 main skills.

5. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

For now, gear is all about the characters' main stat, vitality, and +damage. I'm also going self-found per character, so no muling/twinking from one character to another. Eventually, I'm really going to want to find some gear that gives +life per hit to help out my survivability.

My solo character: MissLawless, Demon Hunter clvl40

Hungering Arrow (Puncturing Arrow for 50% pierce)
    Chakram (Razor Disk for precise, on-a-line/area damage)
    Caltrops (Jagged Spikes for extra damage)
    Impale (Overpenetration for quick, high damage on-a-line)
    Vault (Tumble - 2 Vaults for the price of 1.5)
    Preparation (Battle Scars for a second instant heal)

Steady Aim (20% ED when enemies are 10+ yards away)
    Vengeance (25 increased Hatred, gain 20 hatred from globes)
    Archery (bows get 15% ED, 2 one-handers get 10% crit chance)

I'd been rocking dual crossbows ever since they started dropping, but I found a sick socketed bow so I switched over pretty recently. I tend to finagle with some skills from time to time, where the Impale slot is the most frequently changed. Right now I'm wishing I had more crowd control as I'm finding myself back pedaling a lot, especially against champ/elite boss packs. Recently I ran into a double pack, and I literally backtracked halfway across the map to beat 'em. Any battle in an enclosed space is scary scary.

MP character: TrimDaddy, Monk clvl37

Crippling Wave (Mangle for extra damage)
    Sweeping Wind (Master of Wind for enhanced duration)
    Seven-Sided Strike (Several Sided Strike for more hits)
    Blinding Flash (Blinding Echo for a secondary blind)
    Breath of Heaven (Circle of Life for a strong secondary party-friendly heal)
    Mantra of Healing (Sustenance, again to be party friendly)

Resolve (reduce enemy damage when I hit them)
    Seize the Initiative (Armor is increased by 100% of my Dex)
    The Guardian's Path (15% dodge increase)

This guy's been the only tank for all of normal and some of nightmare up to early-ish Act II. So I've focused mostly on AoE, crowd control, and keeping my allies alive. I had been running with Deadly Reach with the trident rune, but because my weapons aren't great I recently switched to Crippling Wave for more damage. And now I'm much more vulnerable because I can't stand as far away from the action as I used to. Still, it feels very much like my job is to keep enemies distracted while my teammates bomb from the back row. It's getting harder now that the champ/elite packs have two varying mods to them now. Oh, and arcane enchanted is bad if you're not looking out for it.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

I love builds! I love reading other peoples and planning my own, I approve of this thread.:smug: I promised myself to stay away from forums and any d3-related browsing until I finished normal once. Finally I can awe in other peoples creativity.

I rolling a demon hunter, and when I'm looking at her "build" I find myself wondering if I though I picked a D2 amazon :crazyeyes:
    I'm level 35 and just starting nightmare, so my runes are somewhat limited.

Mouse skills:
    Hungering arrow runed to split into 3 arrows. I sometimes switch to puncturing arrow for more pierce against single targets.
    Multishot runed for spamability with half hatred cost. I do love my multishot!

Keyboard skills:
    I've been running rapid fire since I unlocked it. Currently runed to produce rockets when channeling. This is my single target boss-killer. I am considering switching to impale.
    Rain of vengence. Only unlocked the first rune which I feel is weird acting, so I'm currently swapping between that and no rune. The skill itself is of questionable use because of the long cooldown, but I really like using it so so-far it's on my skill bar.
    Vault. Never have and never will get rid of it. Currently runed with tumble for those cases where I accidentally roll into the boss pack rather than away from it.
    My fourth skill has been debated on alot. I was using shadow power for a long time, but didn't use it much and never when I would have needed it. Tried smoke screen for a while but mosty forgot all about it and used vault instead. Now I'm using caltrops with the stun-rune. This is what I feel comfortable with right now because of the lower cost to cast and the stun is real nice when I get jailed or walled in.

Gear is nothing to speak of. I usually pick up whatever has the most dex on it, so I'm kind of a glass cannon. My next goal is to increase survivability since I've had a few deaths in act1 NM, but it still stings me to see my damage drop when I switch my gear out. I started off digging the dual hand bows, but sticking to the amazon theme, I am now rolling with bows!

7. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Another level 40 demon hunter... just with only half of TRM's mad DPS. :badteeth:

Hungering Arrow (Shatter Shot)
    Impale (Impact)
    Smoke Screen (Lingering Fog)
    Companion (Bat Companion)
    Multishot (Suppression Fire)
    Preparation (Battle Scars)
    Vengeance
    Steady Aim
    Archery

My build is different from theirs, revolving around Smoke Screen's 3 seconds of epic win and strong hatred/discipline regeneration. Impale's high damage/stun is nice for single targets at relatively low cost, while Hungering Arrow/Multishot take care of larger packs, depending on whether I need to regenerate hatred/discipline at the moment.

When I'm not too lazy to swap around skills, Chakram (Twin Chakrams) for insane open area low cost area DPS is very nice to have as well instead of Impale.

Vault... I ditched. *shrug*

EDIT: Swapped in Elemental Arrow for Impale. Ball Lightning does nice damage, but I do miss being able to stun things that actually give problems... a tradeoff of sorts.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  8. Es Mors

Es Mors IncGamers Member

Level 30-something HC Barbarian here. Gear is a balance between damage and survivability of course. I am constantly gold starved. :( Must... craft... more...

Skills:
    Cleave (Rupture) - Very good AoE damage dealer.

Revenge (Vengeance Is Mine) - This one becomes active when you get hit, which is also exactly whan you need it, because it heals life. A good mechanic I found is: Have revenge on right mouse button and cleave on left mouse button. When you meet some big bad monster, hold down the right mouse button on him throughout the whole fight. While holding down the RMB, keep clicking him with the LMB. This way, you will be using Cleave all the time and Revenge will cast itself automaticaly each time it becomes active.

Leap (Launch) - Life saver in HC!

Ground Stomp (Wrenching Smash) - The rune is the crux of this build's strategy. It gathers a lot of enemies stunned close to you and then you unleash Cleave on all of them. Revenge is also very effective because there are so many monsters around you. Immediately when they become unstunned, use Threatening Shout.

Threatening Shout (Falter) - Good skill, but will probably be exchanged with War Cry (Invigorate), which seems insanely good, when the time comes.

Wrath of the Berserker - Trying this out now. Before, I used Earthquake which I saved for champion packs and it worked very well. I read that WotB breaks you out of jailer traps when activated, so I am trying it out now. Also, the Insanity rune is very promising.

Passives: Nerves of Steel and Inspiring Presence for survival. Berserker Rage since the build has no fury spenders (except WotB, which has a 2 minute cooldown), so I am almost always at full fury.

EDIT: Just did some math and found out that Inspiring Presence is better than Bloodthirst, so switched that one out.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  9. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

I'm still working on my barbarian, as my build was sub-optimal on early NM.

Gear: + <your important atribute> is king. I tried to focus on armor and health globes bonuses but it didn't worked very well.

A big part of the game in the beggining is where to spend money. I seldom buy things from merchants, have 1 page stash and artisans at respectable level on early nm. If I could go back in time, I would evolve the artisan before the stash.

10. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Playing a Witch Doctor. My current build is based around lots of mana regen and crowd control.

Corpse Spiders (Widowmaker) - The mana return/hit is nice, and I also like that they function almost like a DoT.

Firebats (Direbats) - This is my nuke skill. Will probably swap it for Zombie Charger with Zombie Bears rune when I reach the level for it.

Hex (Hedge Magic) - Turns enemies into chickens and casts random heals. What's not to love?

Spirit Walk (Honored Guest) - I like this skill as it serves two purposes with the rune. If the fight is easy, I use it as a quick mana replenish. If the fight is rough, I can use it to escape danger.

Horrify (Face of Death) - Big radius AoE fear. Use it to keep myself or my minion safe.

Gargantuan (Humungoid) - Tank.

Passives:

Jungle Fortitude (20% DR for myself and minions)
    Spiritual Attunement (Increase mana and mana regen. Will swap for Bad Medicine, an additional 20%DR when enemies are poisoned when I get Zombie Bears)
    Spirit Vessel (Reduces the cooldown on Horrify/Spirit Walk and if you die, brings you back to life with 10% health.)

My gear is split between Vit and Int.

11. LazySlothman

LazySlothman IncGamers Member

On the weekend I finished nightmare with demon hunter (yay!), diablo took me a couple of goes (well.. 5, one was so bad it was laughable – I was slow off the mark and got grabbed straight up = insta death) but once I got the hang of it it was tense yet under control.

Level 49
    (Was trying to do full clears at the end to make it to 50 on the dot..oh well)
    DPS – 2469.34
    Life – 12874
    Str: 221
    Dex: 873
    Int: 134
    Vit: 478

In general gameplay I played through (solo) with:
    LMB: Entangling Shot – Chain Gang
    RMB: Elemental Arrow – Frost Arrow
    1: Caltrops – Jagged Spikes
    2: Smoke Screen – Lingering Fog
    3: Preparation – Battle Scars
    4: Companion – Bat Companion
    Passives: Archery, Cull the Weak, Vengeance

I'm sure additional damage dealing could be done, I did experiment with some of the other damage dealers for a long time (multishot/rapid fire) which I also enjoyed yet later on this setup seemed to handle those 'oh sh**' moments the best and still abolsutely rip through levels.

Against Diablo I went with:

LMB: Enangling Shot – Justice is served
    RMB: Impale – Chemical Burn
    1: Mortal Enemy – Marked for Death
    2: Smoke Screen – Lingering Fog
    3: Preparation – Battle Scars
    4: Companion – Bat Companion

Passives: Archery, Steady Aim, Vengeance

Since then I've been playing act 1 hell and straight up my DPS was ok for non-boss groups however boss/elites were very very tough with a huge amount of kiting required.

I've geared up more and re-ran for extra xp (something like 6k dps and 17k life now on level 53) however Elites still give me trouble as caltrops don't really slow them too much and they ignore my follower - will keep playing around with skills.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  12. spearv

spearv IncGamers Member

I'm trying to find something that lets me creep through Inferno with a chance of killing the boss packs rather than parking/skipping them all.

DWing Monk.
    L: Fists of Thunder (Thunderclap)
    R: Sweeping Wind (Master of Wind)
    1: Breath of Heaven (Blazing Wrath)
    2: Serenity (Peaceful Repose)
    3: Mystic Ally (Air Ally)
    4: Mantra of Healing (Boon of Protection)

Passives: The Guardians Path, Transcendence, One With Everything.

I've been trying to find dex, vit, fire res, all res gear. And I desperately try to sneak some IAS on the armor, it offers a ridiculous damage boost, not to mention more spirit generation. Gameplay: get all the passive damage going, hold LMB on something, spam mantra of healing.

Hour by hour my damage decreases while my defenses increase so killing ordinary mobs is a lot slower than it could be, but I'm relatively capable of finding 5 boss packs and killing inferno SK. I suppose I should try to eke out enough gold for a weapon with some serious dps.

13. Malicious

Malicious IncGamers Member

I'm at the start of inferno with a witch doctor, up to skeleton king. For levelling to this stage I used primarily:

Firebomb (Flash Fire)
    Firebats (Direbats)
    Spirit Walk (heal rune)
    Gargantuan (berserk)
    Fetish Army (CD rune)
    Hex Fetish (heal rune)

Passives: Jungle Fort, Blood Ritual, Spiritual Attunement

Have dabbled with other passives and skills like Vision Quest, but it didn't suit my playstyle. I also used a heavy summon build during normal, but it started to suck towards the end of it, so I stopped using stuff like Zombie Dogs.

Going to try another build tonight

14. Grunthex

Grunthex IncGamers Member

In search of a bit more challenge in the early game, I made my witch doctor into a pure spirit doctor. As of almost the end of act 2 (level 23) his current skill loadout is:

Haunt - Consuming Spirit: Primary attack skill. Damage over time, plus increases the witch doctor's life regen noticeably
    Grasp of the Dead - Groping Eels: Area of Effect slow, runed for more damage. This is actually my biggest damage dealer in most cases.
    Soul Harvest - Siphon: Area of Effect intelligence booster/heal. Makes everything else that much more efficient.
    Spirit Barrage - The Spirit is Willing: Rarely used, for those times I need a single target nuke. Basically LARGE mini boss or boss encounters, when I have nothing else to cast because Haunt and Grasp are already on the target.
    Spirit Walk - Jaunt: Get out of dead free. 3 seconds of spirit walk is enough to avoid waller traps, it breaks jailers, etc.
    Mass Confusion - Unruned: For those really big ugly packs. Why fight them alone when they can kill each other?

Passives: Spiritual Attunement (more mana/mana regen), Blood Ritual (15% of mana costs paid with life / life regen)

I figured this would be a gimmick build, I started it at the beginning of Act 2. It was frightfully effective. (Used Horrify before I had Mass Confusion). Generally I lead with a haunt or two, drop Grasp on the biggest pack I can, and run in to Soul Harvest them, thus boosting the damage of those ticking damage over time spells. For most packs, with 2 or 3 haunts running, my life regen is high enough that I take minimal damage.

At 30, I'll probably throw Spirit Vessel up as a 3rd passive, and might put Horrify back in for Mass Confusion.

15. Ilandalar

Ilandalar IncGamers Member

I'm currently playing a semi-twinked wizard. He's level 35 at the moment with 1.9k dps and 8k hp.

The build : http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcQXjS!YXc!aaaaaZ

The signature skill can be anything but I decided on Chain Lightning because it looks better (Waiting on Thrown Blade or Lightning Blast).
    Arcane Orb is my AoE hard hitter.
    Teleport is used to go in melee range so I can shot point blank Arcane Orbs.
    Diamond Skin is used to allow me to shoot point blank Arcane Orbs without taking damage.
    Familiar/Magic Weapon/Passives are all used/picked to increase damage.

So far I'm having a blast killing everything after getting my head ripped of on my barbarian. I'll of course have to adjust later but Arcane Orb/Diamond Skin will definitely stay, maybe Teleport too.

16. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I have a gargantuan summoned, splinter dart for ST and Flash Fire for AOE. Soul Harvest (life leeching rune), Fetish Army (for big groups) and Locust Swarm.

17. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

So I finished normal with a barbarian.

Skills:
    Right mouse button: Bash(Onslaught)
    Left mouse button: Seismic slam(Extra damage and knockback :p)

Q: Ground Stomp(more radius)
    W: Leap(Extra armor)
    E: Charge(Extra damage)
    R: Ancient Spear(Dread Spear)

Weapon: The biggest baddest two hander I could find. I crafted an executioner sword, then I found a Hammer, then I crafted a two-handed axe. Damage on the LCS is very nearly 496 when I beat normal

Why those skills?

Well, I like that bash knocks dead enemies far across the screen, especially with Onslaught. I didn't use a rune for a long time, because the first one removes knockback. Also tried Cleave with Scattering blast on the right button, it's good for crowds. I have my left button skills on the right button, because it makes it easier on my index finger.

I chose Seismic slam because it's just awesome. It's also good for killing groups of weak monsters. I used Hammer of the ancients as the poor man's Seismic slam at the earlier levels.

I used Ground Stomp to give myself some breathing room when the I was getting overwhelmed. I think it's the second rune the gives you more radius and lets you pull things closer to yourself. Used that for a long while, but I later switched the rune that makes it do damage.

Leap is pretty self explanatory. It let's you jump around. Also good for catching casters and other pesky critters.

Furious charge is super awesome. Used it to kill groups and to get around. And to gather health orbs in the heat of battle.

I had Rend as my last skills for abit, tried Earthquake, but none agreed with me. In the end I settled with Ancient spear to help me generate fury, to attack at range and when I got the Dread spear rune, to heal abit.

For passives I used the one with extra critical strike and damage, the one with 3% life leech, Weapon master(gives various bonuses based on my weapon type. I used an axe and got + 10% crit chance).

Overall this skills set worked really well, I died maybe 4-5 times in normal. 2-3 of those times to act 2 and 3 bosses.

EDIT: LCS is a term everyone understands. I doesn't really matter what it actually means if you know what I want to say, does it? It's like the floppy disk used as a save icon in most software.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  18. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Having to get used to using 1,2,3,4 as my skill buttons because my key bindings won't stick. Haven't unlocked the 4th slot yet. Currently using (level 18 (I think) Demon Hunter):

left button: Bola Shot with the first skill rune (makes a bigger boom, which is always nice)
    right button: Rapid Fire
    1: Caltrops with the second skill rune (freezes monsters for a couple of seconds)
    2: whatever the skill is that replenishes Discipline (so I can semi-spam Caltrops)
    3. Companion
    Passive: Vengeance (I think)

Basically cast Caltrops to slow stuff down, then blast with a combination of Rapid Fire and Bola Shot. Rinse and repeat. Wielding dual crossbows.

@Pijus: we're in D3 now. Shouldn't it be LDS (Lying Details Screen), or even LDT (Lying Details Tab)? And has it been shown that it lies?

19. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Well, that's why I was dying in act4 with my sorc all the time and couldn't kill Izual and have difficulty with Daiblo later. 250 DPS and 2K life is realy low...

Anyways I started Barbarian, I am now lvl 43 and enjoy him more than a sorc.
    L Cleave Rupture for AoE damage
    R Bash with Clobber for stun
    1 Ground Stomp with Wrenching Smash for Stun and bringing enemies close to me to Cleave them.
    2 Seismic Slam with Stagger for Stun and dealing with ranged mobs
    3 Ignore Pain with Ignorance is Bliss (lifesteal) for surviving
    4 Earthquake with different runes (not settled yet) for damage dealing.

While untwinked I have a lot of difficulties with most of the champions and unique monsters. So far casting Earthquake+Ignore Pain with lifesteal worked the best for me. If they are still alive after earthquake, I use all my stunning skills to finish them off.
    750 DPS and 8K life on lvl 43.

EDIT: Passives: Ruthless (increase criticals), Weapon Mastery (+15%ED with swords), Berserker Rage (+25% ED while at full Fury)

20. Grunthex

Grunthex IncGamers Member

It's not actually that low. All my characters are self found, and tend to finish act 4 with around 350-450 dps, and 1500-1800 life usually.
    Twinking might be necessary later. So far, nope.