Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Worst Hardcore Character?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Simfish, Jul 27, 2012. | Replies: 58 | Views: 7210

1. Simfish

Simfish IncGamers Member

Just want opinions on what the forum thinks the most challenging class to succeed with in Hardcore is. I've heard many arguments pointing to the Demon Hunter, and I'm wondering if others feel the same way.
  2. flint

flint IncGamers Member

I read in another thread that Barb, Monk, and Witch Doctor have completed inferno hardcore (and I've watched the videos of the barb and doctor) so it obviously can't be them. I haven't heard of the other classes completing inferno but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Wizards have been instrumental in assisting barbs in completing inferno, not that barbs cannot do it completely solo. When Kripp became the first person to complete hardcore inferno he stated that the only reason his Wizard partner did not defeat Diablo was that there was an extremely small chance of a one hit kill, and even though they were 99% sure it wouldn't happen they decided not to take the risk.

Demon Hunters have not been able to handle it on their own nor have they been deemed particularly useful by other classes that are looking for a partner to help them through so I would say anecdotal evidence points to Demon Hunter being the worst choice for hardcore.
  3. AlexanderBarin

AlexanderBarin Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Demon Hunters and Wizards. Probably Demon Hunters because they have less overall defense and 1 mistake / 1 sec lag = death for them.

Barbs and monks are best.

I'm talking solo though.

Barb + DH group is pretty easy. Grouping makes pretty much everything 50% easier, for both barbs and DHs. Dhs get a tank, barbs get good dps. This is assuming both of them are geared adequately and know what they are doing.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  4. lanceuppercut

lanceuppercut IncGamers Member

I would say DH, not "worst" as that's a poor choice of words, rather the most unsuitable for HC. Due to no decent skills to reduce damage for a prolonged period (SP/Gloom for the 3 seconds does not count!), they have no "2nd chance" abilities incase they make a mistake, nor do they have pets to tank/slow the enemy down while they attack from range.

The only standout point the DH had was the ability to do mass damage but at the same time being very fragile but of course in HC, that's not even an option. Yes they have amazing mobility with TA and vault/SS and able to control the flow of the battle with traps and whatnot but all that doesn't stop an unlucky +fast/waller/vortex affix, once you're in too close, you're done for. There's no panic button as it were.

The best thing the DH seem to have had was SS pre-nerf (I never got to use and abuse it), still don't understand why the duration was cut so short. To stop chain-SS? Then why not add a 1.5 sec cooldown or something.. Infact I wish that was a rune, 5 second duration, 2.5 second cooldown, same disc cost or something like that.

The 1.5 second duration with a rune seems so much like a slap in the face because if you say you've been vortex'd in, you're likely going to have SS to prevent dying in the middle of what is more likely an arcane lightshow then to vault out of there to make some distance and by then as it's so short it's run out so pop another SS (or vault if you're feeling safe) and now you're barely away with minimal discipline left. And all you've really done is escape a vortex! :/

Yeah, my main character is a HC DH :(
  5. AlexanderBarin

/bow

I am levelling a new DH and love it, but I foresee many, many, many deaths ahead.

6. VHD

VHD IncGamers Member

When you say "most viable" or "most challenging", I take that to mean the hardest to avoid death.

I would rank DH -> Wiz -> WD -> Monk -> Barb for how difficult it is to stay alive in HC.

DH is just so fragile (as people have mentioned above). I think they are very valuable in group play however.
  7. lanceuppercut

lanceuppercut IncGamers Member

So you should, had a HC DH on the go since I got the game, I'm on DH #7 at the moment but loving it. My previous DH's died in quite hilarious ways (although each time, I was fuming!):

1, lvl30 - unprepared for azmo (argh!),
    2, lvl18 - overeagerness to re-level (ffs!),
    3, lvl31 - attempting to caltrop/JS diablo (lol!),
    4, lvl54 - unprepared for hell and got walled in on a bridge (should have known better!),
    5, lvl37 - lag spike (grr!),
    6, lvl57 - bad affix pack ("acceptance")

Infact atm I'm levelling up different classes to 60 at the moment because I couldn't bear to lose yet another DH especially since I've now managed to obtain the 4 piece Nat's set (minus the poo weapon) at great expense.

8. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

Where's the Witch Doctor videos?
  9. Simfish

Simfish IncGamers Member

I'm curious why you think that comp is strong. My impression is that anything DPS a Demon Hunter can do, a Wizard can do better. Demon Hunters may be able to achieve higher numbers with Sharpshooter, but the way that the Wizard deals damage is much more consistent and effective, especially when you consider that a Wizard can possess up to 3 sources of damage at the same time. Hence, I am led to believe that Wizards possess higher DPS even when they list lower damage values, and it certainly feels that way at times. Plus, they can do damage while out of LOS, and snare/control mobs better.

But DH is such a fun and challenging class. Already started one on the side :thumbup:

10. AlexanderBarin

Agreed, Wiz is probably better, but DH + Barb is still quite easy.

11. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

I'll pile on to the consensus. Force armor simply makes a wizard much sturdier than a DH. WD have spirit vessel, and of course monks and barbs have innate 30% damage reduction and tons of staying alive/mitigation tools. My wizard has 7k armor without a shield. A DH probably couldn't even hit that number with a shield - and then of course there's the force armor effect on top of that.

I'm not sure why kripp's wizard partner thought he might get one-shot. With force armor diablo couldn't even get close to one-shotting me on my wizard, not before 1.03, and not after. (I don't think they changed the fight any)

He might be talking about the DoT. That cuts around force armor and can take quite a bit out of you if you don't have much fire resist. With typical hardcore defensive stat stacking I can't see it being a real problem though.
  12. Steven Hazani

They played before the 1.03 nerf. The grab attack does do a lot of damage even after it. It nearly killed the Barb at one point after he was meteored into a cage. His fire attack also made the Wizard's health drop pretty fast. I think he might have died if not for life on kill hydras.
  13. flint

flint IncGamers Member

Witch doctor clearing inferno act 4 can be viewed here:

http://it.twitch.tv/themetamart/b/325293847
  14. VHD

VHD IncGamers Member

I love that:

"I'm not one of these purist hardcore players that believes you have to kill every elite pack you can see. I fight the ones I know I can fight. If you think that in someway makes me less of a man ... well there's a reason I'm still alive and that's because I don't fight every pack I see."

15. mrmud

mrmud IncGamers Member

I have a Barb, Monk and DH at 60 in HC and my DH is by far the scariest to play.
    Everything needs to be kited to all hell and vortex or waller will ruin your day.

I really think that something should be done to improve DH survivability in HC.
  16. Steven Hazani

Can it? The video never actually loads for me. I was hoping for a working link.

17. flint

flint IncGamers Member

the link works fine
  18. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

It is a stream, not a VOD. It is only active when he's actually playing.

19. Steven Hazani

Right, and that guy apparently quit right after finishing. So...
  20. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

There is one video in his archives showing him finish act 4 inferno though. The link directs me to that, you just need to click continue on the top right.