Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wizard Passive Skills to Improve/Upgrade/Combine?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Flux, Mar 1, 2013. | Replies: 5 | Views: 4013

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

An interesting thread in the Demon Hunter forum asks which DH passives should be "baked in" to the character, basically making them full time abilities. The whole thing was spurred by a blue post about Monks:

The most commonly proposed solution is to simply bake One With Everything directly into the Monk's class. In essence, give the passive away for free. This has a few issues. We don't currently bake a mechanic like this into other classes, so it would be something that’d need to be explained to new players or otherwise exist as a hidden bonus. It also represents a big boost to one class that's inequitable with the other classes.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Wizard_passives
    http://www.diablo3ladders.com/skills/mostused/wizard

[TABLE="class: skillUsage passive"]
    [TH="class: headerHeader addTextShadow, colspan: 3"]Passive Skills for Wizard in Softcore[/TH] Pos Skill Percent 1 [TD="class: left"]Critical Mass(Passive)[/TD] 64.82% 2 [TD="class: left"]Glass Cannon(Passive)[/TD] 46.97% 3 [TD="class: left"]Cold Blooded(Passive)[/TD] 36.09% 4 [TD="class: left"]Evocation(Passive)[/TD] 31.47% 5 [TD="class: left"]Blur(Passive)[/TD] 29.75% 6 [TD="class: left"]Astral Presence(Passive)[/TD] 28.51% 7 [TD="class: left"]Galvanizing Ward(Passive)[/TD] 27.86% 8 [TD="class: left"]Unstable Anomaly(Passive)[/TD] 6.46% 9 [TD="class: left"]Temporal Flux(Passive)[/TD] 5.71% 10 [TD="class: left"]Arcane Dynamo(Passive)[/TD] 5.01% 11 [TD="class: left"]Illusionist(Passive)[/TD] 4.43% 12 [TD="class: left"]Prodigy(Passive)[/TD] 4.23% 13 [TD="class: left"]Paralysis(Passive)[/TD] 3.45% 14 [TD="class: left"]Conflagration(Passive)[/TD] 2.51% 15 [TD="class: left"]Power Hungry(Passive)[/TD] 2.51% [/TABLE]

Wow, now that's a tale of halves and have nots. Critical Mass is the only real outlier at the top, but once you get past Galvanizing Ward things just drop off a cliff. Deservedly.

Paralysis and Temporal Flux are weird and I think relics; why do just Fire and Arcane get the stunning effect singled out in passives? Because cold chills by default and during development Lightning caused a stun when it hit with a crit. So the devs wanted all 4 elements to have a stunning option, and needed to add passives for two of them. Maybe combine those two into one passive, add Lightning also, and lower the proc? Or tie it to crits? Something.

Arcane Dynamo seems needlessly complicated and unsatisfying in the mechanic. Would it be more fun working like Frenzy or Sweeping Wind, where it charged up from fast hits in succession and provided a buff that lasted until you didn't get any hits for some time?

Prodigy and Power Hungry are poor man's versions of Astral Presence and could be combined or removed entirely, as even decent quality gear does much more for AP recovery than those passives.

On the whole, Wizard passives seem half-baked. There are a few good ideas and some have a big impact, but then you've got a bunch of filler. Add stuns to specific elements, add damage to specific elements, add minimal amounts of AP in weird ways, etc. Seems like a lack of vision or creativity on these; where are some more with interesting proc effects, or some that proc from health orbs? Maybe the removal of skill trees hurt these, since that seems to have ruined the bonuses to entire families of skills, other than some that boost by element type, but unimpressively.

That said, Wizard is the class I've played the least of these last few months, so hopefully some of you guys have better or more creative ideas than me about what new passives the wizard could use, or how existing passives could be improved or combined or baked-in?

Similar threads are now running for all five classes: Barbarian Passives, Monk Passives, Witch Doctor Passives, Demon Hunter Passives.
  2. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

OH BOY, HERE WE GO:

-Glass Cannon: Should either give you a higher damage bonus than just 15%, OR don't reduce your resistances.
    -Fire/Lightning/Cold skills should be combined into a single passive, but with a twist: Your weapon needs to have an elemental damage affix in order to make use of it
    -Astral Presence: This should be baked into the class, come on now.

All in all, I think Wizards have the most boring passive skills.
    Oh, and they should REALLY let us stack Blizzard. At least with diminishing returns.

EDIT: Unstable Anomaly got really useful with 1.07 - you almost can't die. I tested it and definitely want to use it again, but for now I need the slot for Astral Presence.
  3. Kanji

Kanji IncGamers Member

Collapsing the three elemental passives into one and then gimping them with a pointless gear requirement seems less like a "twist" and more like a nerf, especially to Cold-Blooded; cold damage weapons don't hit nearly as hard as others and it doesn't seem like the live team is going to give them some help any time soon, so the only way to benefit from the cold damage portion of the passive would be to cripple yourself with a sub-par weapon. Paralysis would also still be junk, and a lot of different build paths would be erased since the requirement of an elemental weapon would make it impossible to benefit from more than one of the elemental effects at once, as is possible now.

If any passive were going to be baked in without any of the Wizard's actives being changed, I think the obvious answer has to be Critical Mass. It's already completely core to the way Wizards are played; huge chunks of her skill suite are either specifically designed around it, or have been nerfed to the point that they aren't even worth using if you don't pair them with it.

Power Hungry could probably stand to be collapsed into Astral Presence.

I loathe Frenzy and Sweeping wind and would never use Arcane Dynamo again if it functioned the way they do. If it either needed one less stack to discharge, or added 5-15% more damage, I think it'd feel a lot more satisfying to use. That said, getting huge crits with AD-boosted Molten Impacts is extraordinarily satisfying already. I don't see what's wrong with AD being a cool niche skill, it's pretty fun if you build around it.

If Paralysis had a slightly higher stun rate and worked independently of proc scalars, I think it'd see more use. Being able to stun en masse with procs from MW:Electrify or Shocking Aspect could make a lot of Wizards at least consider using it. By the way, Flux, Paralysis is procced by lightning damage, not fire. Not sure why you seem to think it's the other way around.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Temporal Flux was to use it with Disintegrate, Arcane Torrent, or Archon. It provides a modest amount of CC for builds that wouldn't normally have any way of keeping stuff off of them, in other words. Another niche skill, in other words. It could probably be better, but I don't know if collapsing it into something else would be the way to achieve that. Maybe make it also slow down enemy attack speed.

Just had to point this out, since all of the Wizard's damage-increasing passives boost every damage type. Cold-Blooded and Conflagration are triggered by elemental damage types, but once they're active they apply to everything.

Overall I think the Monk and Demon Hunter have it way worse than the Wizard does, as far as passives go. Astral Presence is overrated and pretty boring conceptually and Power Hungry and Paralysis obviously need help, but I use (or can think of a non-gimped way to use) every other passive in the Wizard's arsenal. They aren't super flashy, but I'd rather have a kit that I can actually use over one that seems cool but is actually useless.
  4. Flux

Flux Administrator

B/c I wrote this post quickly while skimming the passives and I don't play Wizard much lately. Plus I remembered that lightning had stun on crit during dev and figured the passives to enable that would be the other elements. So clearly Bliz wanted lightning to have a chance to stun and once they removed all the bonus effects on crit types, they added a passive to replicate it. Which no one uses.
  5. Kanji

Kanji IncGamers Member

I figured, I just thought I'd give you a hard time about it :p

Obviously I agree that Paralysis and some of the other Wiz passives could use some improvement, I just don't think things are as bad as they're sometimes made out to be. I think the absolute most important thing is fixing Critical Mass, since it very nearly breaks the class. It crowds out a lot of passives that are really pretty usable, requires base defensive cooldowns to be high so that it isn't too easy to constantly roll them, and has gotten a lot of otherwise-fine proc scalars nerfed for the same reason. Baking it in would at least fix it crowding out other passives, but I think overhauling it - along with a lot of the Wizard's active kit - would probably be a better long-term solution.

The simple nature of her passives doesn't bother me much, but I do agree that certain things were probably lost in translation when the dev team transitioned from skill trees to the current system. Lightning, in particular, seems sort of bare bones; it mostly consists of buffs and stop-gap skills. Every element other than lightning has an AP dump of some kind, it seems weird that there isn't at least a Blizzard or Meteor rune that'd change it to lightning element.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  6. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Prodigy should be 5-10 arcane power on critical hit.

Paralysis is simply useless. But I guess critical mass frost nova chains is perfectly balanced. Just lazy devs going on here.

Glass Cannon needs to be 20% like Steady Aim at least to justify it.

Nothing wrong with Illusionist. I love it. Highly underrated.