Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wizard 1.07 builds

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by RazeBarb, Jan 31, 2013. | Replies: 22 | Views: 25402

1. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Hey my fellow brethren!

Are any of you tinkering with the skill changes on the PTR? (I'm not, but I'm interested in the changes)
    The changes to Blizzard look very nice and I wonder if it will make Blizzard viable for good damage dealing (instead of kiting forever) on higher MP levels.

Here are the 1.07 changes for Wizard (as of Jan 30th) for quick reference:

• Wizard
      • Active Skills
        • Arcane Orb
          • Weapon damage increased from 175% to 200%
          • Skill Rune – Obliteration
            • Weapon damage increased from 228% to 260%

• Blizzard
          • Weapon damage increased from 210% to 510% over 6 seconds
          • Proc coefficient increased from 0.01 to 0.0125
          • Skill Rune – Grasping Chill

• Skill Rune – Frozen Solid

• Skill Rune – Stark Winter
            • Proc coefficient increased to from 0.005 to 0.0125

• Skill Rune – Snowbound
            • Proc coefficient increased to from 0.01 to 0.0125

• Skill Rune – Unrelenting Storm
            • Weapon damage increased from 280% to 680%

• Shock Pulse
          • Weapon damage increased from 105% to 150%
          • Proc coefficient increased from 0.667 to 0.8
          • Skill Rune – Fire Bolts
            • Weapon damage increased from 152% to 195%

• Skill Rune – Explosive Bolts
            • Weapon damage increased from 70% to 105%
            • Proc coefficient increased from 0.5 to 0.8

• Skill Rune – Lightning Affinity

• Skill Rune – Living Lightning
            • Weapon damage increased from 37% to 52%

• Passive Skills
        • Critical Mass
          • Critical Mass now affects the cooldowns of Archon: Teleport and Archon: Slow Time while in Archon Form

• Temporal Flux
          • Now reduces enemy movement speed by 60% for 3 seconds (up from 30% and 2 seconds)

• Unstable Anomaly
          • Now activates upon receiving fatal damage (changed from when a player is reduced below 30% Life)
          • Dying will now reset the cooldown

• Bug Fixes
        • Blizzard Critical Hits now correctly have a chance to proc Arcane Power on Crit

2. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

I don't play the wizard alot but now when Blizzard have higher dmg and procs arcane power on crit, and the dmg from arcane orb is increased. I thought that a non signature wizard could be kind of cool.

Get a decent high arcane power on crit and alot of crit chans ofc. Then go Arcane orb with Tap the Source to reduce AP cost and Blizzard with Snowbound for the same effect. Should be enough to let you spam Arcane orb I think. Donno if its good enough though.

3. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Might be possible to make a cold wizard with frostburn gauntlets now?

4. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

This looks great. I've been using meteor/comet as a ranged attack plus chill, and spectral blades and frost nova coupled with the cold-blooded passive to clean up. I could easily see switching to blizzard if it did real damage and with a buffed proc. That plus frost nova and cold-blooded should be pretty lethal.

Shock pulse might also be worth a go, although I've been using the spectral/healing runeword to boost my life on hit.

5. RazeBarb

I'm currently trying a Ray of Frost/Blizzard build on the live servers http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Flexy-2748/hero/2210535
    It's surprisingly good even now on mp7-8, but you need to play in a group because you run out of AP all the time.

My AP reg is high enough that I can at least shoot a beam every 0.5 secs while holding down the button and being out of AP. It's kinda like hurling a magic missile, but with more damage. I think it might be a decent build once the patch hits.

6. NightCraweler

NightCraweler IncGamers Member

@ RazeBarb Nice dps, it's cool to see a good slorak's for a change. High aps is bad for channeled builds try reducing your attack speed(ias=higher ap cost) and increasing apoc and raw damage(ei:+min/max dmg). Storm Crow is good for channeling with apoc and +elemental dmg. Another good thing would be to drop sloraks for a black weapon(for +elemental damage%) also look for apoc here if you want to use trium. I think that would make it more effective. Also if you like RoF try disintegrate it works well with cold blooded.

Edit: I thought I replied with this, I've been running with a slow time/meteor build(with wof) and I may drop slow time for bliz to proc coldblooded, if only for solo play.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. RazeBarb

Thanks for the tip about IAS! I'll look into it.
    My Slorak's is already a black weapon I think, because I get the full benefit of Trium's and Zunimassa's +elemental damage.

I also bought Frostburn gauntles with +6%/+28% cold damage for 40k because they were so cheap.
    The problem is, that they still seem to be less effective than my rare gloves with crit damage/crit chance.

8. NightCraweler

NightCraweler IncGamers Member

No slorak's is not black it is lightning. While yes you are getting the full effect of tium and zuni's you not getting the most out of your weapon. Remember these item cause you get more out of weapons, more so black. However keep in mind it will show in your dps, so keep the better weapon.

I didn't like frostburns either but like you said they're only 40k.

9. RazeBarb

I bought a cheap skorn and overall it's better than my slorak/trium. I can spam more blizzards and they hit harder. I feel like a WW barb. Yesterday I just ran through keeps and got a 144kill Massacre before I ran into a dead end.

I'll be using it until I am rich (or lucky) enough to get a good 1k+ dps 1h weapon.

10. Tombat

Tombat IncGamers Member

The bug fix for blizzard and APOC is a great improvement. not to talk about its damage boost.

But regarding the proc buff, do you think going from 0.01 to 0.0125 will be noticiable?

Edit: what is the meteor proc rate compared to 0.0125 form new blizzard? (sorry but all info i found is related to % so not sure how to compare myself). If it is at equal level of proc rate I see the rocknado build will be overtaken by the new "blizznado".

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. RazeBarb

Well, increased procs are always good. We'll see how much better they truly are. But 12,5% instead of 10% sounds like much in a game like D3. Especially since it'S getting supported by the APoC fix.

Meteor procrates:

• Runeless – .0125
    • Molten Impact – .0125
    • Star Impact – .0106
    • Meteor Shower – .005
    • Comet – .0125
    • Liquefy – .0106

12. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Blizzard: Stark Winter
    Shock Armor: Thunder Storm
    Hydra: Venom Hydra
    Teleport: Fracture
    Illusionist + Cold Blooded

Very nice damage for being able to kite around and do nothing else. Then you add in the scoundrel with a windforce proc knockback endlessly. High life regen gear puts the icing on the cake.

13. Tombat

Tombat IncGamers Member

Tested blizzard and I am disapointed. I keep sticking to meteor, both better proc rate and damage (although in theory blizz should do more damge, it does not, may be due to the restriction in no stacking several casts, and its lacking of initial damage in impact).

The test with all with the last rune, more blizz duration, havent got time to check more runes.

14. RazeBarb

You really only want to use the "Stark Winter" rune for covering more ground.
    You can deal damage/slow everything on the screen with it, if you click fast enough and place them right.

15. Tombat

Tombat IncGamers Member

Ill check it. However were I usually farm are narrow corridors and guess there is no need to cover wide area. Anyawy ill give a try.

I play CM wizz, use meteor as secondary atack, there is no need to slow thing down since are all frozen already, I was just looking for another ranged atack dealing more damage and at least the same proc rate, and blizz does not matches this.

Btw, farming exp in MP10 publics is great. Which will be the new desired MP for exp farming?

Tomb

16. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

I'm playing with blizz and it seems to miss a lot...

17. Kanji

Kanji IncGamers Member

Blizzard's co-efficient went up to 1.25% from 1%, not up to 12.5% from 10%. Also, Meteor's coefficients are all a decimal place higher than what you posted (.125 instead of .0125, .106 instead of .0106, etc.), but outside of that they're accurate. A proc rate of 1 is equal to 100%, a proc rate of .1 is 10% and a rate of .01 is 1%.

Speaking of co-efficients, Fire Bolts now seems to have a fantastic combination of proc rate (.8) and damage. I feel like its main problem is with its targeting logic (or lack thereof) and general inefficiency outside of extremely close combat in an open area, but the new numbers look pretty strong on paper. Has anybody tried it out?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  18. RazeBarb

Yes, I tried firebolts yesterday and didn't like them because of the exact problems you listed.
    Instead of a signature spell, I'm using Frost Beam with the rune that makes it cost 10AP instead of 16AP. Together with my current AP regeneration, I can cast it almost infinitely. That's 215% dmg + slowing. As soon as my APOC gets higher, I'll swap to the 280% dmg rune.

19. Tombat

Tombat IncGamers Member

Good to know! As CM wizzard im very close of targets, dont think Ill miss many hits. However well see if it crits and procs as much as wicked wind, specially note against single moster. If you can replace WW for Bolts, you do not need that much APoC to make CM work, which means you can buy a cheaper Chant source that deals more damage.
    Another issue is also that bolts itself deals less damage than WW, has to be tested its impact in the efficiency of the build.

20. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Start winter is the best rune for blizzard because it has the biggest aoe.