Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Windows Service Pack 2 - Problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cougar, Sep 5, 2004. | Replies: 30 | Views: 770

1. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

Windows Service Pack 2 - Problem

Well i just d/led this lil update, restarted, then left to go mow.

I come back and it's at my login screen. I type in my password, yadda yadda. My desktop appears, and then an error box saying there's a problem with explorer comes up, and now explorer wont run. I get angry, try to boot up in safe mode, and it wont even run in safemode. Now im angrier.

Im thinkin the problem is that i a little while earlier after reading Corneo's thread on how to change the word on your start button, i decided i'd change mine too. That's the only thing i can think of, matter of fact, during the install of the service pack that sprung into mind and i was hoping there wasn't gonna be a problem.

I had another guest account on my machine and that doesn't work either. The error report shows "initiumexplorer.exe" being the problem. And that's what i renamed my explorer file to, so it knows it's there.

Anyone else have any probs with this update? I looked under microsoft's support site and all that jazz and couldn't really find anything pertinent. Im gonna do some more digging, but if anyone here has any info that'd be great.

Peace.

2. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

It's usually a good idea to do a clean install between major updates like this because, in this case, SP2 might not like your setup.

Or you could try the network install rather than the express one...but so far clean installs (or just reinstallation) have fixed most of these odd problems with SP2

3. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

I can't install anything tho, i can't get to windows. It just sits on my desktop w/ no icons and explorer wont run.

We have another pc in the house, that's how im posting here btw.

4. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

got the installation disc? you don't need to login or anything..just need to be able to boot and get into your bios.

5. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

hmm yeah i can get into my bios, dunno where to go from there tho. I haven't really messed with a lot of this stuff.

And yeah i have my install disk.

Are you talking reformatting? Cause i'd really really like to avoid that at all costs.

6. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

well..yeah i thought you figured that...ok I'll try to explain

SP2 = major upgrades
    major upgrades = almost a new operating system
    Windows = doesn't handle upgrading operating systems well

So..a clean install would be the best solution. Since you got two comps..just network then and transfer all your important files and wipe. If you don't want to then....what's the exact error? initiumexplorer.exe doesn't exist on google

7. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

Yeah, i got confused when you said clean install. Thought you were talkin about reinstalling the service pack, then about midway through what i was typing i realized you were prolly talking about reformatting and reinstalling windows.

Im temporarily at my 'rents house while i go to community college to save some cash, and we got both pc's through a router. Prolly wouldn't be a big deal to network, but my dad is insanely paranoid of anything going wrong with stuff, and it's not my router so i have to respect that. That, and this PC is still on '98 and i had some major probs trying to network these pc's together awhile ago, and couldn't get it done.

I think im just gonna sit here and pout for a little while longer until my bro returns my call.

Thanks for the help tho, hopefully i can get this problem worked out. But i have a feeling im gonna be removing my hard drive and backing it up somewhere else... humm.. stupid microsoft... (prolly stupid me ;p)

edit:
    Now that i think about it, networking them together would be impossible because my other machine has been rendered useless..... son of a...

8. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

you could always take it out and put it in the other tower as a slave and transfer data directly....but if you don't want to mess with the hardware stuff then good luck

9. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

yeah, that's my plan if i can't fix it.

10. BartXeno

BartXeno IncGamers Member

I had a problem installing SP2 on my laptop because I was using a custom boot screen however it didn't cause as much trouble as it sounds like you are having but it is probably, as you have guessed, because you modified a Windows system file.

The need to get into your BIOS is to set it to boot from your Windows CD to run Repair/Recover. Here's Microsoft's solution:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875355&Product=windowsxpsp2

Above is for removing your failed SP2. The following will tell you how to repair your XP to restore any system file(s) you altered so you can retry upgrading with a much better chance of success:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

11. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

yeah this sp2 thing is pretty crazy. It took like almost as long to install as xp did. I was actually suprised at how easily sp2 installed for me. It took me forever to get sp1 installed because I used a bootleg windows xp cd. SP2 just went fine though.

What all is new with SP2 aside from the fact that microsoft is trying to put virus protection programs out of business with that crappy windows security center?

12. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

• Major upgrades to IE6
    • Plugging up some major holes
    • increasing reliability (supposebly...hasn't been the case so far)
    • better compatiblity with new software
    • Wi-fi stuff
    • Windows Media Player 9
    • Directx 9c
    • new version of microsoft's installer
    • a lot of other stuff

That security center thing is only there to alert the user and control the firewall. There is no anti-virus program or scanner

13. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

went through the first part of that recovery deal. It's doing the same thing. I didn't get an error message, but it just sits there with my desktop picture but no icons/start button/quick task bar.... NOTHING.

I'm so annoyed right now.

14. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

try this: windows key + r then type "explorer"

15. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

nope... nothing....

i think reformatting is inevitable.

16. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Don't forget about...
    • creating more major holes
    • even more broken compatibility with older software
    • even more bloat
    • more DRM
    • more bugs than an army of locusts

17. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

yeah I know I've started getting blue screens again with SP2 installed >_< Can't they do anything right? :rant: :rant:

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Hahahaha *sits back with Durf, Ev_, Anyee, and MadMerlin* We are immune to this 'blue screen'. Current uptime. . .156 days(OS X) Current uptime on my server 194 days.

My uptime is longer than yours, therefore I have a bigger E-penis.

19. Zerobluex

Zerobluex IncGamers Member

Yeah I got a problem with the pack also. After I installed it I couldn't do nothing on my computer. I couldn't open up anything. I unistalled it , it was a hassle but I managed to do it. I was thinking of installling it again but after I saw this post I don't think so.

sincerely,

zerobluex

20. BartXeno

BartXeno IncGamers Member

I only turn off my Windows XP boxes to change hardware or clean the dust out and reset only when an install requires it. I don't have an uptime clock running on any of them because there's no reason to check but quite a few months go by between cleanings. My friend gets to see little bombs on his more expensive Apple screen at least twice a month. In fact, I think I built 3 PCs for what he paid for his one. :p