Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will you level all classes simultaneously or play one to the top? d

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Jedouard, May 3, 2012. | Replies: 57 | Views: 7168

1. Jedouard

Jedouard IncGamers Member

Will you level all classes simultaneously or play one to the top?

So how will you play come release day? Will you play all classes simultaneously, taking turns levelling them to whatever predetermined level you've come up with, or will you play one to the end?

Here's why I ask: When playing the beta, which was limited to level 13, I was finding a ton of useful gear for other classes. On top of that, I was able to easily increase the Blacksmith's level so that by the time I finished getting my second char to level 13, the top items he could make out-levelled me. (The Blacksmith will likely be the source for a good amount of the best gear in the game, especially while levelling.)

So, there are pluses and minuses to playing both ways - and a lot of them depend on your play preference.

If you take turns levelling classes, then here are some pluses and minuses I can think of...

(1) You can use pretty much all the items your other chars find. This would be difficult to do if you try to take each class to 60 in a straight shot since your inventory space is limited enough that you can't store all those tiers of gear for all the classes.

(2) You might be able to get enough gold to consistently get your Blacksmith to out-level you and increase your stash size beyond your need.

(3) Low-level items should quickly get cheaper on the auction houses, so if you are really deficient in a certain item slot, you should be able to get it right away.

(4) Medium and higher level items, particularly mats to level your Blacksmith, should also be cheaper by the time all your chars start to reach high levels.

(5) It could be really redundant playing the same section five times before moving on.

(6) The game becomes really easy for your 3rd, 4th and especially 5th class in your levelling rotation because you don’t need to do much work for the gear. This could be good or bad depending on whether you want the challenge or you just want to get through the levelling process.

(7) It could really undermine the attachment you get from playing one character to level 60 since you are constantly switching between characters, you repeated the same area of the game so many times and you rarely got into any challenging situations with your character along the way thanks to your great gear. You might just end up hating all your characters.

(8) Along the same lines as point 7, it might just be impossible to tear yourself away from your favorite character to play another character you like less or even hate.

(9) And the last one I can think of is that you might miss out on some great "early" deals in the auction houses because gold income at lower levels was too little to afford those items. Then again, you might (luckily) miss out on overpaying for something and use that gold instead for something permanently useful (e.g. levelling artisans and increasing stash size).

Personally, I will create all five classes right away so I have a place to store gear I find for them. Then I will play my favorite character all the way through Normal Difficulty just to get the story and maybe a little into Nightmare to see how it is. Then I will rotate through the other characters in 10-level increments until they finish Normal. In Nightmare and beyond, I will continue to rotate all characters including my favourite until I have maxed out all of them, probably reducing from 10-level increments to 5-level increments in Nightmare and 1-2-level increments in Hell.

The exception might be whatever character I use to play with my friends. I dislike the Witch Doctor – no offense to anyone who likes him; this is just personal preference – so I might use him to play with friends since that will force me to level him.
  2. LuCas

LuCas IncGamers Member

Re: Will you level all classes simultaneously or play one to the top?

I will play one to the top.
    (didn't read your 534234234 page essay post yet but will edit this post when I do, doing my hw atm)
  3. Jedouard

Homework's more important.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i did read it and my goal is to level 1 to 60, get gear for my other classes then use them. however i know myself and i will probably jump back and forth between characters each time i find a good drop for that class. i am in no rush to be the first to 60 or anything like that. i do know i will for sure beat normal with my barb before i switch at all. after that its all fair game
  5. onorarono

onorarono IncGamers Member

I'll be playing a few simultaneously. That is, will probably dedicate one class to HC only (atm Monk, just because). My SC main is likely a Sorc...I mean wizard. I'll level the wizard during solo play and then play another class, atm Barb, with friends.

I'll eventually get to DH and WD, but not from the beginning, no.
  6. Jedouard

That's interesting that you want to go with one class, but tend to jump back and forth. I've got the opposite problem, wanting to do all the classes, but knowing I'll probably get addicted to one.

I'm still debating about my HC class. I'm also debating just doing HC. It would be a great way to break the monotony rotating classes to level them since dying would mean I could play that class all the way up till its even with the other classes again.

Did you ever think about playing the classes that you don't care for with your friends? I don't like the WD, but it will be my "friend" class. It's a way to make it fun even if you aren't interested in the class. Maybe we should start a group of players who play their disliked classes or the classes they stink at together. Could be fun.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

the second i find a good item i want to use it. nice unique bow drops? omg DH time. whats this? amazing wizard hat? yup wiz time. holy crap look at this voodoo mask! well you get the point. this happens to me in every game. also as i am playing i will see some other char join the game and use a skill and i am all "i want now!!!!"
  8. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

i'll probably run two simultaneous characters at first. A wizard and a demon hunter. One will be for playing by myself and one with friends. :)
  9. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

I'll play 1 until 60. I figure (or at least I hope) that a decent set of leveling gear can be easily crafted as I stockpile supplies on my way to 60, and to be honest I haven't quite decided what my second class will be. I am thinking the end game drops I get will help me make that decision.

Definitely want to overcome the gold sink hurdles as well as begin collecting some max level legendaries first though.
  10. Verkins

Verkins IncGamers Member

I'll play a barb for the story and a monk for multiplayer.
  11. Greystone

Greystone IncGamers Member

I'm thinking I'll beat Skeleton King with each class and get to at least lvl 10 on each before I get really serious. Then I'll level up a Barbarian and Demon Hunter side by side. Once I've beaten normal with those 2 I'll probably start doing the same in nightmare while cutting down their play time in half to complete normal with the other 3 classes and repeat etc.
  12. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

I'm at least going to hop characters for MP. Especially when I play MP with friends and family who won't play it as hard as I will in the first couple of weeks.
  13. sgtTenor

sgtTenor IncGamers Member

I will most likely play several characters side by side. Basically because I like playing different classes right from the start. I know I want to get every class to 60 so why not do it in tandem while you find gear for your level? It would most likely help with leveling up faster.
  14. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

I'll play through normal with one character first. While working through nightmare and hell on the first one I'll likely start more guys to play around with.
  15. Arcanae

Arcanae IncGamers Member

Definately one class to level 60 first. This is just personal preference, but it irritates me to no end when I leave leveling unfinished, like getting to level 40 with one class and starting playing with other class, that would just annoy me. So, yeah, I'll level one class (still undecided) to 60, then I'll level second one to 60, then third one, etc. Yeah, I'll probably get into some problems when I leave Normal with my first char even in D3 and I will probably need to grind somewhat in Nightmare to survive Hell, and in Hell to have a decent chance of surviving Inferno, but it should be a challenge and most importantly, it should (and it will) be loads of fun for me.
  16. xploziv

xploziv IncGamers Member

Taking 1 to 60 playing solo and i'll make 2 others to play with friends...
  17. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

I'll play through before switching to another class. Not because of any attatchment to a certain class, but because I simply don't want my first play through of the game to be a fragmented experience. Its like advert breaks during a movie....kinda ruins the flow.
  18. GibItam

GibItam IncGamers Member

I will probably start with a couple of characters, I have only tried DH and Barb in the beta, so I want at least to try the other character classes. As I really enjoyed the DH and Barb I now think I will start with those and probably even start them in twofold as I will be playing HC only. If I really like a character and it plays well I will probably push it onwards and try to reach level 60, but also at the same time try to level and equip a replacement and other characters as far up as I can. Playing HC basically means that I will constantly level new chars and at times will lose some and rebuild, which goes easier if the replacement is already leveled up a bit.
  19. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I'll always play Barb + 1 level one of the other classes
  20. JWBS

JWBS IncGamers Member

I'll create my 5 mules and play one through to completion, then another, etc etc. I tried multi-levelling back in the day in WoW, and even with the incentive of rested xp boost I couldn't do it.