Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will we fight gods?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by qOcOp, Oct 7, 2008. | Replies: 38 | Views: 3532

1. qOcOp

qOcOp IncGamers Member

Will we fight gods?

Tyrael is only a angel so obviously there are higher rank people over him. Perhaps we will fight god(s)?:coffee:

2. SoulSpectrum

SoulSpectrum IncGamers Member

Re: Will we fight gods?

Dunno.... The Diablo lore has the same words like angel and demon, but with different meaning compared to real societies. There hasn't been anything to my knowledge about a higher being.... But that would be cool if something happened to end the "sin war"... Something that elemenated one of the elements of High Heavens, Burning Hells, or Earth.

3. Ampersand

Ampersand IncGamers Member

He's an Archangel...which to my knowledge is as high as you go in the angelology...unless they change that ofc.

4. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

I doubt we'll see Gods... Diablo is more about demons and angels.

Anyway, I despise every plot or story where a hero gets to see/interact with a god, fight a god or defeat a god (worse). It's just too much, I mean gods are supposed to have created the world and all and they get defeat i mean WTF... (sorry if I seem angry about this i'm currently reading a series of book where, at the 11th tome, a dead guy defeats one of the highest gods. I almost barfed)

5. deadbeater

deadbeater IncGamers Member

Actually, the Greek/Roman Gods were usupers of the Titans, who were the descendants of Eros who was said to have created the world.

There is a saying in Zen Buddhism that goes something like this: if you meet the Buddha, you have to try to kill him.

6. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I want my d3 chr to become a god. I want special god status. Immortality too.

-When he picks up a white item, he drops it and it turns into a blue magic item.

-He bleeds gold whenever he looses hp's.

-Anything he trades in tradescreen has his aura tacked on as a mod.

-He can personalize infinite numbers of items.

-His 10 selected end game items get converted to perfect ones.

-He can resurect other players on the battlefield.

-He can create a man or a woman. Whoever clicks on this new chr gets to make a new chr with better starting stats.

-He can part rivers and just walk across without having to use a bridge. Or walk on water.

Hey, I'm just kidding.

7. Elric-Logain

Elric-Logain IncGamers Member

The Diablo world of Sanctuary seems to mostly avoid the issue of whether true gods exist apart from the angelic and demonic hosts, and I like it that way. It makes the actions the supernatural characters far more ambiguous in motive and nature. Human religions in this world are mostly founded around angelic and demonic principles of light and darkness, good and evil, and order and chaos. The world naturally gravitates towards a well developed Manichean worldview.

In this game I do not expect that we will fight gods, but merely that the heavens shall tremble.

8. Generic

Generic IncGamers Member

I think a fight against an ArchAngel could be extremely fun.

9. ZSiegfried

ZSiegfried IncGamers Member

I hope that we don't need to go against the Light...Aren't we supposed to be fighting against the Darkness? I don't mind fighting against a traitorous fallen Archangel but fighting against pure good? Not so much... :no:

10. Generic

Generic IncGamers Member

I always thought the "light" and "dark" were closer to the representations in Todd Mcfarlane's "Spawn". That is the "light" isn't so much "pure good" as we think of it. It is hard to explain how it is represented in the comics. Although it seems almost toltalitarian, and has a "sacrifice a few to save many" slant.

11. ZSiegfried

Well as far as understand the Light is completely good but they don't have too much patience with anything that isn't as good as them or doesn't completely fall in their plans.

They will easily "sacrifice many to just save their ideals" which is considered not so "good" by many...

I think that in the Diablo universe it’s easier to think of the Darkness as the dirty, ugly and funky looking ones and the Light as the clean, cool peeps with awesome wings... Not to be confused with worldly definitions of good and evil...

12. SoulSpectrum

Exactly.... they may appear good in light, but really in all, it's just a title. The High Heavens is more like an order, a system or government. In the Beginning there was the darkness and the light. They interact with one another because that is their purpose, or put more simply, what else was there? Without one, there is no other, just a balanced equation with irreversible entities. Two sides of a war equally matched. Now we introduce X, being Sanctuary, into this equation.... Now there's more matter, that is neither nor, but can be formatted to either side.... changes everything. The greater amount will win.
    The Bruning Hells want Sanctuary because within it is the power to stop this war. The High Heavens wanted sanctuary to live because just as easily they can end this war. However, the High Heavens sought to destroy the world because that is also a chance of it turning to the opposing force.
    Sanctuary has proven that they can stop if not atleast hold strong against the Burning Hells, on Sanctuary's territory.... But what about the High Heavens? I have a feeling Imperius would be a formidable opponet. In the Sin Wars Uldyssian was able to stop everything at once.... so now we have a triangle of existance.....
    But the homepage as an article saying that there are other worlds in the Diablo universe completely destroying the special circumstances of Sanctuary, pretty much killing the lore of this whole game... (Yeah, that kind of bugs me, but oh well.... hopefully they won't go completely WoWish [not gameplay, but story] and start pulling things from out of no freaking where).

13. ZSiegfried

Do you really think that sanctuary can even compete with the Light and Darkness? Your lore knowledge is more than mine...

Maybe in Sanctuary, where their power is limited we can match them but in the greater equation I think we are not comparable but since they are balanced we are the "swing vote"?

14. SoulSpectrum

Yeah it's somewhat like that.... if you want a good read pick up the Sin War Triliogy by Richard A. Knaak. His writing style is good..... but not to compelling. There'll be boring pasrts for about 60% of the triliogy... however that 40% makes up for it.
    Not to ruin any spoilers, one of the nephilim (humans) had so much power that he completely stopped both the burning hells and high heavens.... but that was with some advance hlep of the demons and angels.... it would take an unbelievable amount of time before the humans can be able to tap and control that power inside of them.... but it's really a great read to get the lore.

15. GRaFFiKNaTuRE

GRaFFiKNaTuRE IncGamers Member

how dope would it be if diablo 4 some god decided it was tired of this war between good and evil and decided to end it all... and dark and light had to join forces against God

would be dope as ****, having diablo and tyreal vibin in town and buying weapons from mephisto.

the cinematic would be incredible for the end of it all

16. SoulSpectrum

I'd only be dope if Wert opens up his tavern! I could only imagine seeing Baal trying to walk. Maybe we'll see Duriel trying to give the Mistress of Pain some compliments on her.... fangs?

17. Kordova

Kordova IncGamers Member

i would actually like to see the 3 prime evils as more of a side quest, think about it diablo 1 main boss diablo, diablo 2 basicly has 3 main bosses, mephisto, diablo, and baal... and they have been spanked how many times now??? maybe the ultimate evil? the ruler of the three, a nasty power you must defeat all three at the same time( much like uber trist) aquirering their skulls to more or less "summon" this all powerful ruler of darkness

i think the idea that your fighting the light would be fatal to the story of diablo...might as well call it jesus

18. SoulSpectrum

From the lore stand point, there hasn't been anything mentioned about a higher being... I picture it being like the Burning Hells as one big entity of dark power. The Primes just happen to be the bigger clumps of power which in the ranks of Burning Hells, the strongest are on top. So, I think the Primes are pretty much the tops of the tops and there's no one else to take the place.... unless someone smarter and more powerful came along... but they'd have to be an outsider.... from you know... Sanctuary? Just a possibility.
    As far as seeing more diabolical enemies, check out Imperius.... We actually may have seen some artwork of him, unofficial. There's also some other angels. Belial and Azmodan are the two lesser evils of Lies and Sins.... No imagine fighting the Lord of Lies..... What kind of sick plot twists could they develop! Then there's always unmentioned characters of Sanctuary like rogue Necromancers or Wizards.
    This one's far out there.... but it's possible. Inarius. Look up what happened to him from the D1 manual and try to picture seeing him as whole in your head..... pretty nasty, in a delicious sense.

19. Kordova

Kordova IncGamers Member

Maybe a compilation of the three, "diamephaal" could burst forth from the world stone as it is being destroyed as a spirit that flees to hell... i like the idea of a Rouge necromancer sewing together the parts of the 3 and meshing the spirit with this franken'prime

20. Frostraven

Frostraven IncGamers Member

Pure good: No cursing, no criticism allowed, no unprovoked violence, no eating of animals, no sex outside/before marrige, no divorces, no alcohol or drugs or mind altering substances, no selfishness or self indulgence allowed, no selling of items for profit, everyone works for the same payment, everyone has to share with those who have little. It's communism.
    There would be zero tolerance for these actions; death penalty.
    To the absolute good, everything not absolutely good is definately evil.

I always liked the idea of light beeing too good for humans.
    Face it.
    Humans aren't good, we're neutral.
    Most humans can't live with the same person in marrige without growing unhappy through the years.
    Most humans lie, get addicted to something (coffee, sugar, chocolate, alcohol, coca cola, pepsi max etc.), commit unprovoked acts of violence at some point, sells things for profit whenever they can, are self indulgent, think's he should get more paid than the next man, doesn't care about the pain and suffering of his food, can but won't do anything about the suffering of others in the world because it doesn't make *him* happy to have less, and so on and so on.

Just read the old testament for silly laws the forces of good would try to pull down over our heads.
    Death penalty for cursing your parents, death penalty for having sex outside marrige, death penalty for *** sex.

We love our sinners, and love to sin -- to an extent.
    Which is why we don't side with the demons, either.