Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will WD's pets be able to tank inferno?

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by tvndental, Apr 4, 2012. | Replies: 33 | Views: 8389

1. tvndental

tvndental IncGamers Member

Will WD's pets be able to tank inferno?

What do you guys think?

I am guessing they can't.

If they could then inferno wouldn't as hard as everyone says it is. Just have your pets tank and while the entire party just spam ranging attacks.

Am I right?
  2. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

Re: Will WD's pets be able to tank inferno?

I think it's quite safe to assume that they won't last very long in inferno. Currently they can't even handle Skeleton King in the beta.
  3. WD pimpin summons

WD pimpin summons IncGamers Member

Or maybe they can with the right setup, but the monsters will come straight for your character instead of minions.
  4. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

The WD's pets were always intended to be more transcient than the Necro's.

That said, I *do* think that pet tanking will be viable in Inferno. You just need to get the idea out of your head that they'll survive each fight. Even if they tank for 20 seconds, that's a pretty good return for the 1-minute cooldown. Really, the Skeleton King is the only thing that owns them in the beta, so I don't think that's a good comparison at the moment.

The Witch Doctor was designed to have the primary playstyle of "pets-distract-while-you-do-damage". If the WD's primary playstyle isn't Inferno-viable, I'd be quite surprised. And remember - Zombie Dogs are your mooks, the Gargantuan's going to be doing the heavy-duty tanking, I imagine.
  5. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

I think everything will be viable in inferno. Pets don't deal too much damage, so clearly, their use must be in taking some hits for you. Sure, they can't tank the skeleton king... but unlike trash, he has mechanics that can be avoided, so you don't need dedicated tanks to keep your *** alive.
  6. Horcsog

Horcsog IncGamers Member

Think u will need ur pets + a barb for tanking in inferno, then the 3 of u can do the imba ranged dps.
  7. ElementEight

Game is soloable. Try again.

8. Bulkers

Bulkers IncGamers Member

Performance of pets in beta atm is laughable, they are good versus normal monsters, any chempions/elites/bosses are destroying them on sight. I hope it will change later in the game because right now they are not buying enough time for WD in boss/elite/champion fights.

But let us not jump into conclusions based on beta since its very small piece of the game.
  9. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

With the certain passives and/or with the Templar's Loyalty aura, I'm sure that ZDs will be good for Inferno tanking as well. They may not last 60 seconds, but they won't be one-shotted either.
  10. ElementEight

Jungle Fort + Bad Medicine = 36% damage reduction. Use it, love it
  11. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Also, Zombie Handler for 20% more HP and 33% more dogs. :)
  12. BZK

BZK IncGamers Member

I'm not sure how the pets scale and if they get stats from the player like hp regen but the Loyalty aura description says :
    Regenerate X life per second for you and the Templar.
    Maybe it's just a mistake but if it worked for pets it would be in the description as an usual aura for allies and all. Anatomy from the scoundrel and Focused Mind from the enchantress specifically talk about allies.

13. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

In the beta, the dogs die in one hit from the skeleton king. At least at the level.
    That's all I have to add to the thread. :p
  14. sprocket

sprocket IncGamers Member

If everything is viable, it would be called normal.

The fact that inferno is harder means that what works for an easier difficulty may no longer be sufficient.

Otherwise inferno would be just doing the exact same things you did in all other difficulties and dying more.

15. pcguy

pcguy IncGamers Member

This doesn't add up, you are completely discounting equipment. Equipment is what will carry a build in Inferno. As long as your equipment complements your build, it won't matter what build you have.

Here's a challenge - make me a build that you think will be completely useless in Inferno, and I'll tell you how it can be fixed with equipment. You are going to find that it becomes difficult to make a build that is truly gimped.

16. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

Yes it will be quite possible that there is equipment which lets the pets become tougher. There are several class specific items, amoung them legendarily ones. But some of them will be quite rare and expensive. (Hopefully we don't get a situation where *everybody* zaps around with enigma)

However I don't get the impression that the WDs pets are as important or will be as good a tank as the Necros. He has pretty strong direct offensive skills, partly rivaling those of the Wizard. So it seems only fair that they are somewhat more like a temporary distraction instead of a indestructible meat shield.
  17. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

The leeching beasts rune combined with Jungle fortitude and fierce loyalty should help lots for Zombie Dog resilience.
  18. ElementEight

Go on youtube. Type Blizzcon inferno revealed in the search box. Watch all 50 minutes. Jay goes over this forever.

Yes, but the skeleton king has a gimmick. If you respect the gimmick, you'll take less damage against him than you would against a regular skeletal archer getting an arrow off from the edge of the screen. You don't need dogs. The way the game's headed, you probably won't need to "tank" bosses with your own face, and even if gimmicks do one shot your dogs, it won't matter to you. Will randomly generated masters kill them quickly? Doubtful, unless they have gimmicks themselves.

19. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Ideally each of them will last long enough to soak a few hits for the WD every fight, and you'd be forced to invest into keeping them up so they can mitigate some of the damage.
    But it's more likely that they'll either be immortal or die very quickly.
  20. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

In Inferno you'll probably be more worried about infinite piercing arrows and giant magic aoes that cover half the screen.