Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will Diablo 3 become an eSport?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Wiggidy, Apr 17, 2012. | Replies: 49 | Views: 2610

1. Wiggidy

Wiggidy IncGamers Member

2. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

Re: Will Diablo 3 become an eSport?

No, or at least not in any great capacity. Certainly not with the success of say CS or Starcraft.
    It isn't being designed as an e-sport.
    Blizzard have stated they will not be balancing it to the level required for a successful e-sport (there will be a rough semblance of balance but certain builds/class combos will still end up having an edge).
  3. Wiggidy

Wiggidy IncGamers Member

Mhm, so you don't think it'll become an actual eSport like SC or CS - but do you believe there will be world championships in arena once it's out, and online shoutcasting like illustrated in the video?

4. Eeryck

Eeryck IncGamers Member

I really do believe with compelling casting like that, D3 has a good chance of becoming entertaining to a wide variety of audiences and could become a thriving e-sport.

I would strongly recommend that you start brushing up on your casting skills so you can be at the front of the curve.

Don't worry that it is not PvP that you will be casting and there is no variation in the PvE side of it. I am sure there will be longevity in the e-sports side of the house on speed runs to level 2. I can imagine the number of times I will sit down with the family to watch someone cast full normal speed runs. How exciting.

Looking forward to hearing quite a bit more about you in the future Wiggidy!
  5. Wiggidy

Wiggidy IncGamers Member

Hahahaha, +1 for making me laugh, sir!

On a serious side, the video was more to get some attention brought to the subject, and I had no PvP footage(since it's not in the beta), so I did it with another kind of competitive style, "speed runs".

But I think that Diablo will have a good chance as well of becoming an eSport, not as big as DoTA, LoL, HoN, CS or SC - but I think it has potential at some point to develop into one.

Thanks for your opinion, as well as Amarules' - anyone else have an opinion on the subject?

6. Eeryck

Eeryck IncGamers Member

Right don't worry about the fact that the game will not be balanced for PvP either, I mean look at professional sporting events. No one *****es that Michael Jordan, Sidney Crosby, Tiger Woods are IMBA and people flock to those sporting events.

I thing people complain too much about e-sports requiring balancing. Focus on the imbalance and sell it as entertainment. I would seriously consider quitting my day job or college if I didn't have a family and work on promoting D3 e-sports. I mean look at NASL!
  7. Amarules

It's all down to the community. I'm sure given the number of devoted Diablo fans that exist that seeing tournaments /livestream events are a given. However I believe for the most part those activities will be organized and run by members within the community as opposed to official organizations such as MLG. Companies and sponsors aren't going to be willing to invest significant funds into a game that lacks competitive balance.

But yes once PvP is finally implemented I think the arena will be a pretty big deal community wise and we can expect streams and casters commentating on tournaments maybe for small prize-pools etc.

8. Wiggidy

Wiggidy IncGamers Member

Yes, indeed, indeed. So you believe it'll mostly be hosted by "amateurs" rather than Blizzard themselves/organizations with the required funds?

But, in any other eSports, we also see imbalances. In CS we got the famous "AWP" sniper that some servers even decided to ban, because of it's damage. In games like DoTA/LoL, the majority of heroes isn't nearly as good as others, and they wouldn't ever get picked for a tournament. Don't you think that the combos that would have an edge, would be wide enough to compeet on an eSport level, where the sponsors and prices will be major enough for it to be considered "proper eSport", in the future?

9. Amarules

No game can be perfect but at least in many instances developers devote resources to tune balance as much as they can /deem necessary, and any exceptions are accounted for within the tournament regulations.

The fact the D3 dev team have openly stated they will not be pushing D3 as an e-sport, and that they intend for it to remain a simple but fun multiplayer mode suggests to me those balance issues could be more prevalent and more severe than in other games.

Not to mention games like Dota only require dev's to balance 4-5 set abilities per hero. Diablo 3 they would have to consider any build based upon any combination of 6 skills from a pool of ~25 with 5 rune variants per skills AND passives because a single passive synergizing too well with only a specific build creates a balance issue.

When you look at the scale of the task to do this for 5 characters I think you soon realize why the D3 team sensibly opted to very publicly distance themselves from any connotation of D3 becoming an e-sport.
  10. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

It might become an e-sport in some capacity, but I bet it would be a crappy one. Kinda like how WoW e-sport is quite silly.

It isn't just because of the potential imbalances, but also how interesting it is to watch, and how much skill it can show in the players.
  11. Wiggidy

Wiggidy IncGamers Member

True, true. I definitely agree with you. Same thing they encountered in WoW when trying to balance PvP to it's fullest.. It's simply.. Impossible with some many combinations/variations of skills/runes. It would be interesting to see tho how they would try to manage it, in case they decided to go for it.

One more thing also, why don't/do you think Diablo 3 should become an eSport game, if it had the capacity to it(question for everyone else also)?

12. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

MLG and Twitch TV just signed with CBS, and MLG has stated that they plan to have D3 pvp on the pro circuit.

Expect it to be shown at MLG Anaheim after E3.
  13. Eeryck

Eeryck IncGamers Member

I think there is a real opportunity for people to bring in big name sponsors to the D3 e-sports. It is all in the quality of the casting and presentation. If you build it they will come.

Come on, 30-minutes of mage tower humping is compelling entertainment. Don't be a hater because you can't appreciate the skill involved in tower humping.

I mean look at all the variation there will be in the D3 casting. I am sure this will be consistently entertaining for quite some time.

14. Wiggidy

Wiggidy IncGamers Member

Oh, that is definitely interesting. Do you have any thread/post/interview where they state that? I'd love to read/watch it at least to get some information on it!

15. Skjolde

Skjolde IncGamers Site Pal

No .
  16. Siege Valgore

Siege Valgore IncGamers Member

Absolutely, Totally and in all other ways, 100% true.

17. Loriku

Loriku IncGamers Member

True story, canadians dont lie!

18. Siege Valgore

Siege Valgore IncGamers Member

It's going to be awesome.
  19. Kelrist

Kelrist IncGamers Member

I think it is possible the game could become an Esport. We have all seen Blizzard state one thing and defend it adamantly and then pull a complete 180 and do exactly what they said they would not do. This could just as easily happen for PvP if Blizzard determines that it is cost worthy. I've played many pay-for-perk type games and the money generally rolls in due to the competitive nature of players. If Blizzard sees a profit in developing the game into an Esport in order to increase competition which should naturally result in an increase in RMAH transactions then I'm sure they'd do it. They would definitely wait until the majority of us have purchased the game though...of course.

I never say never with Blizzard :p
  20. Eeryck

Eeryck IncGamers Member

With MLG backing D3 as an esport, consider the possibility for a gamer run league. "Diabo Unlimited Labyrinth League", being player run it will be more in touch with the community and therefore draw bigger audiences and better sponsors.

It even has a pretty catchy acronym.