Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Will be playing blindly?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by ADest, Apr 17, 2012. | Replies: 18 | Views: 1066

1. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Will be playing blindly?

So beta goes down May 1st, and the game is out May 15th. I noticed 'The Arreat Sumit' website is now gone, and there's no replacement/equivalent for it for D3. Does this mean we'll be playing D3 for weeks/months 'blindly'? That is, without knowing how everything in the game works? We know a lot about the game mechanics now, but there are still a lot of systems we're in the dark over. Foremost is perhaps the exact details of many of the skills. We're still not 100% sure how DoT skills and the channeled skills (Rapid Fire/Ray of Frost etc.) interact with weapon dmg. We're still not 100% sure on how Witch Doctor pets scale with Weapon Damage. We're still not 100% sure on what a lot of affixes actually DO. These are minor details, but put them all together and you end up playing in the dark, making less than optimal choices.

In ARPGs a player has to constantly make choices. Everytime a piece of gear drops, everytime you visit a vendor, everytime a new skill or skill/stat point becomes available... It's tough to make good choices when you don't know what your options really are. My time with D2 can easily be broken down into two sections. My time spent playing before I visted the Arreta Sumit, and my time after I became a regular of that site. Prior to visiting that site I had characters like my Sorc with 14 points in Firebolt and at least 1 point in virtually every other skill. After visiting Arreat, I started to save skill points instead of spending them like a goof. I learned what Deadly Strike and Crushing Blow actually do, I learned how important life leech was, and so on. Most importantly I learned exactly how skills work, and how they scaled. The in-game tooltips are just NEVER detailed enough to explain this...
  2. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Re: Will be playing blindly?

These things will be clear sooner or later so I'm not so worried about it. But I do agree with you that it's nice to know such things.
  3. Carisma

Carisma IncGamers Member

I do not think this is how you should look at the situation at all. There will be information out there for you to access, as you will find some on these forums, on other websites, and even the strategy guide you can buy with the game. This also will be a time where you might be able to fully test something on your own, with out the contamination of the "internet say this," so it must be true. I think the game is about the many choices you can make and test, where is the fun if you already know what should be the "best."

I doubt it will take months for information to hit the internet, I would be surprised if it took more than a day for most of the stuff to start going online. The one thing we have going for most of us this time, most of understand the basics of the game fully, and nothing is ever permanent (except death in Hardcore.)
  4. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

I wouldn't use site like Arreat Summit for at least 2 months anyway I guess. I like to discover things on my own.
  5. Mefet

Mefet IncGamers Member

I wont use any outside help at all (i mean not before a very very long time, maybe when i hit 60 or when pvp comes out), for the simple reason that i wont have the time to do so, since i'll be playing Diablo III. Maybe if some day i have access to the internet without having access to Diablo III i might take a look but that's all. And since nothing is permanent in Diablo III (except hardcore death i know), the only consequence is that it will take me more time to reach 60 but i'm not in a hurry.
  6. Wizz

Wizz IncGamers Member

u seem like ur the type of person that needs someone to hold your hand in order to make the best choice. give it a shot on your own if you got half a brain i bet its even easier than d2. as they've said many different builds are viable so who cares how those things work, they work. =) this may or not make sense to you, if not sorry. myself i prefer to go on my own first of course and only when/if i severely struggle i will seek help
  7. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

Well, yeah, in a way it does seem like that. But it's not fair to play a game if you don't know what the rules are. That's called cheating by the host. If every skill, item, stat etc. had it's own webpage it wouldn't be a problem. But using D2 as an example again, I had no way of knowing what '10% chance of Deadly Strike' or '30% chance of open wounds' meant. Sure, the proc chance was clear, but where was the description for what the actual procs do? It wasn't in the manual, that's for sure. It was on websites like this and the Arreat Sumit.

Anyway, D3 is a simpler game in many ways, and websites like this one will probably be loaded with info soon after release, so I guess we'll be fine...
  8. YOUR

YOUR IncGamers Member

One advantage (disadvantage from another POV) of D3 is that you actualy can reskill and experiment. So while websites may be a major source of useful information, I suggest just trying out and having fun
  9. Carisma

Carisma IncGamers Member

Your example of "deadly strike" and "open wounds" is a good example of poor game design by today's standards, but i am sure that this will not be an issue with this game. Blizzard has grown, and what they expect there game to be has grown too, they have learned a lot over the year, and this should not be a darkened path. But either way "deadly strike" and "open wounds" seem like they would be good added bonus just because they sound cool before you know what they did.
  10. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Surely it's more fun to learn? I mean in D3 you can't really muck up your character, it's basically impossible. So, why not just learn? :loving:
  11. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

12. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

People like different things. Personally i sometimes tend to spend more time by the drawing board than actually playing the games.

You make plans, design the character, set goal and decide that this is what i'll be going for. This has far it has worked out pretty well. It's easier to grind when you have set goals.
  13. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

D2 had a lot of those. Arbitrary IAS, FCR and FHR breakpoints would be another prime example of bad design. For example designing a well functioning kicker assassin took ridiculous amount knowledge and expertise that for an average-Joe player was only attainable by visiting multiple shady websites.

14. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

I doubt that's true
    I'm sure you could build a well functioning kicker assassin by visiting only a single shady website :wink:

15. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Oh, to answer the actual question - yes, I'll be playing cold, for the most part.

If information on items was up on the game guide, I'd look, but I wouldn't look at monster info, or boss / Act info.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), they said that the game guide wouldn't be updated with all the juicy info until launch, or slightly later. So I *have* to play cold, whether I want to or not :p.
  16. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

It is a shame that blizz doesn't put in a game really advanced (optional) tooltips, or some sort of detailed documentation about game mechanics, as a part of the game. It is really easy for them to do (from developer point, they know all mechanics from the inside).
  17. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

They never do. Even in WoW people have to do all research by themselves. And Blizzard do it intentionally, becuase they want there to be sites like elitistjerks.com where people do all the math, they check what are dimishing returns, all raitings and their caps, testing proc chance and internal cd's of items etc.
    Blizzard basicly never gives formulas they use for these things. There were very few exceptions when they had to explain something (like armor penetration).
  18. Bgx

Bgx IncGamers Member

wow sites were updated hellishly quick, i remember not having problems with finding anything 1-2 month after release, given the big interest in D3 it will be the same
  19. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

WoW mechanics are logical and fairly simple to test, but D2 has a non linear breakpoint and frame systems. It's really tough nut to crack without taking a look into the game files.