Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why use a maul for a WW Barb?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Holy Dude, Aug 29, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 2024

1. Holy Dude

Holy Dude IncGamers Member

Wouldn't whirlwind be better off with swords, because of the range? I always thought it should be axes for frenzy, swords for whirlwind, and mauls for berserk. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
  2. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Great Maul, Martel de Fer and Thunder Maul are all rangeadder 2 weapons, the same as two-handed swords (excluding Bastard Sword and Gothic Sword, which only have rangeadder 1, like a Maul, War Club or Ogre Maul).
  3. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

The better question is probably why on earth your thought that it in the first place. I've done Frenzy with swords and Berserk with a sword. Oh, and also Whirlwind with a maul. Your associations of different weapon types for barbarian skills seems arbitrary. For twinked play, weapon choice should really be based on what one wants the endgame runeword/unique/magic weapons to be.
  4. Holy Dude

Oh, well for all my characters, I tried finding patters in their skills and stuff, just as a challenge. In the official diablo 2 guide, the paladin was displayed with a sword and shield, so I wanted to make a melee pally. Then, the Amazon page showed her with a spear, so I wanted to make a Fendazon. The Necro had a dagger so I wanted a poison Necro. I know it sounds really stupid, so feedback on my theory would be really nice.
  5. Holy Dude

Never knew that. Thanks for the info. Both of you :)
  6. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I think all of those can work, but it doesn't mean other things can't work. There is a lot of variety in this game and a wide range of skills and equipment can produce viable results.

For the examples you have in mind, a sword and shield makes perfect sense for a paladin and there are multiple options, with a Fanatic Zealot probably being the most straightforward. Fend can be a very strong skill for a spear-wielding amazon, although I prefer Jab. Javelins are a lot more popular on amazons than spears, in no small part due to Lightning Fury, but if you want to make a spearazon, I think you'll find she can pack quite a punch with a decent weapon. Poison Dagger isn't the most popular skill to focus on for a necromancer, but it does have its perks. Onderduiker, the person that provided the information about the rangeadder in this thread, has written extensively about Poison Dagger. If you're interested in Poison Dagger, definitely check out that stuff.
  7. Holy Dude

Thanks a lot. Lol I feel stupid now. I'm always trying to find the "true" character when this game is supposed to be filled with variety. I realize that i shouldn't be that way
  8. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Hey, there's nothing wrong with wanting to use some ideal to guide a character. There's a thread going on right now in the paladin forum about the "true" paladin, with the idea to use the holiest of gear possible and make a viable paladin out of that.
  9. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

I created my first WW barb many years ago. After Ive got a very good rolled Breath of the Dying.

Made in an eth Ghost Spear. ;)