Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why RMAH will kill Diablo 3 (and how to save it)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by cozmiccc, Apr 9, 2012. | Replies: 131 | Views: 9442

1. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Why RMAH will kill Diablo 3 (and how to save it)

I had heard on Blizzard inclusion of RMAH since it was first revealed on 1 July last year, and up until now I was indifferent to it and bought into Blizzard reasoning that they are merely cutting the middleman and the reality that there will always be people going to sell in-game goods for real money.

Now let's examine this in today's environment. Diablo 2 glory days was in 2000s before the breakout success of WoW, which along with it sprouts the rise of big gold seller site like IGE. Since then they had expand to practically all online games where there is profit to be made and devaluing the game's currency along the way. Look at IGE page for SWTOR for example, they had way more currency than what's healthy for the economy.

So what is this has to do with Diablo 3? Well RMAH gives this gold farmer direct access to their eager customers, not just for the sale of gold (which will happen RMAH or not) but also high end gears. Another big problem is that unlike all other MMO games, best level loot could drop practically anywhere outside the hardest area of the game, even with boss acting as a skill gate, dedicated farmers could simply farm a more boring area and breaking urns that although boring, but there still that chance on dropping the 1337 loot. And Another obvious difference from MMO is the lack of soulbind or item binding mechanic.

Now takes a step back and combine all of that, direct access to sell actual loot, no binding even for the best possible gear, and possibility for mindless no-skilled farming to still obtain highest grade loot. What will happen?
    IMO worst scenario will be a few months down the road, thousands of commercial farmers will flood the RMAH not just for golds but also with best gears which they obtained not from player skills and clearing content, but from infinite patience. Gears will be severely undervalued (think like $3 for Windforce) and when everyone have cheap access to best gears there will be little incentive to continue item hunts and hence no reason to continue playing.

Ironically, IMO the best way to solve this while still keeping RMAH is to simply go back to their WoW mechanic and introduce item binding... And there you go, no buying for level 60 gear, no item recyling to AH and hence more gold sink . Solved all these issues but unfortunately I don't think Blizzard will ever introduce item binding to Diablo III :(

2. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Re: Why RMAH will kill Diablo 3 (and how to save it)

Doom, doom, doom... *yawns*

3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

As people on the 'markets' forum have theorised, Inferno / late Hell will be very hard. You shouldn't be able to mindlessly farm zones such as those - they will require focus to survive.

As a result, gold farmers will stick to Mid-Hell and below, and while they may affect the 'commodities and gold market' (I'm just like copy-pasting what I heard the folks in that other forum say :p), they shouldn't affect the endgame item market that much.

As Blizzard has said, they imagine real-money transaction for gold to be inevitable - even WITHOUT the RMAH. As such, the RMAH isn't there to prevent real-money-for-gold, but to do so in an environment where customers can't get scammed. It should be win-win for everyone.

4. ael

ael IncGamers Member

The only aspect of the RMAH I don't like is that no legit player will ever get their hands on a full end game set without reaching into his wallet. I find that a super-turnoff.

Unless ofcourse you are again super lucky, but if the item system somewhat resembles the d2 randomization, you won't be getting your gear without trading.

5. skien

skien IncGamers Member

The drop rates for these items are going to be so incredibly low on urns and random mobs that it will be (as many have said) like "making a living off the lottery - from what I've seen Hell is no walk in the park either and in order to get it on farm status you'd have to be inferno geared, if you look at gold farmers from wow they didn't exactly devote themselves to their characters.

Also a lot of people have spoken about the idea of a glut and that everything should be BoE, but it runs on this bizarre assumption that every item in D3 is a tampon: good for a day then you flush it down the toilet. This is just unrealistic, it will take a long time for hell and inferno gear to build up to the point where everyone has it, if ever and they fully intend to release further expansions which will most likely raise the level cap and add new gear.

6. skien

skien IncGamers Member

What constitutes a legit player? - if you spend 100 game hours grinding for your 'Axe of i got shafted by blizzard' you can sell the stuff you picked up on the RMAH and use the cash you made from that to buy your axe... How is that any different from grinding for hours then swapping a bunch of SoJ's for your new gear?

7. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

How can you be so sure of this? You don't know how long people will be playing, and it is pure assumption that everyone will buy gear.

Beyond that, if there was no RMAH, how are legit players supposed to get full sets? Would they not still be trading? The items still have to be found, and the only difference is that some of the trades will involve real money.

There isn't anything wrong with trading; in a game designed around random loot, it should be a goal, not a taboo activity, unless you just don't want to, and that is a personal choice. If I am lucky enough to find two IK chest armors, and I need/want the helm or boots for the set, of course I am going to trade.

I will never need to take money from my wallet; I will sell excess items and build up my account, and use those funds, with no cash trading hands, or the GAH if it makes more sense. Again, these are all personal choices people make.

8. cozmiccc

I had thought about the skill-gate in Inferno (or even hell) that stops mindless players from farming the zone, but then again we had also heard that we can gain those gears from late hell act or from early act 1 randomly (kicking urn etc.). Yes the chance is low to compensate for that, but which outcome you think is better for the game?

1) That the chance for random godly drop is so low that even a dedicated farming company with 50 PCs running for 18 hours/day at the same time cannot obtain a single godly gear from random urn kicking ---> no point for a player to even kick a single urn ever as your chance is as likely as getting a Zod in D2.

2) Or, that even though it's still small it's still can be expected that a casual player running in early inferno could rarely get that random godly drop from an urn, hence keeping the gameplay exciting ---> but that farming company for sure is going to make a killing on random legendary drop, after all the power of luck from a single 'normal' player playing on reasonable hours is no match for the luck of 50 accounts running for 18 hours daily...

Sorry but to me neither outcome is good for this game. I really think soulbind in WoW was a big improvement over D2 system of item recyling and trickling down, and we still need that gold sink right?

9. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

bots are biggest threat imo, and they will work, as they work in world of warcraft unfortunately

10. cozmiccc

Yes you can simply ignore RMAH if you don't like it, all true. But try imagine this scenario that might happen someday:

**you login to your character, you're a reasonable skilled player but recently you're stuck on act 2 Inferno due to no small part to the fact that you haven't upgraded your sword since act 3 hell..
    Now you can as usual go through and farm act 1 inferno or act 4 hell again OR open RMAH and drop $3 for the best legendary tier-16 sword with the best mod that only has reasonable chance to drop from inferno act 4 boss**

Honestly, which is more option is more tempting? which option is most players more likely to choose? which option is more likely to be boring after a while? which option is more likely to kill the game longetivity?

Yes, as a single individual you can simply ignore RMAH, but I'm concerned for the larger and healthy playerbase, without those big numbers of players support for Diablo 3 from Blizzard would also dwindle over time and nothing good could come from a dying population in any game...

11. skien

skien IncGamers Member

I don't think BoE would change anything because gold farmers aren't using the items then reselling them. All it would do is stop people buying from gold farmers from re-selling and thus generate a perpetual market for gold farmers.

Repairs are the major gold sink as far as I know, it's perpetual, but leveling artisans will apparently be big - although you only do this once per an account I don't see how it can stabilize the economy.

12. Crudesash68

You would have been better suited to call your post "why items will kill D3".

The RMAH, in and of itself, does not affect, in any way, shape or form, the actions of both legit players, botters, or farmers; it simply changes how the items change hands. If there was no RMAH, those who want to buy and or sell items would find a way, and it does not affect botters or farmers either. There is no real argument here; if you take the stand that the RMAH will somehow create more farmers simply by its existence, you are being disingenuous.

In an item based game, you cannot make the items BoP. When all monsters drop items, and rarity is involved, you can't have a successful game where a witch doctor now finds a legendary barb weapon, which he/she must then vendor or salvage. If you had BoP mechanics, gear would have to be much less rare, less random, and the game would not be based around items, which it is. Free trade is the only way to go with this model.

13. cozmiccc

In any case item binding act as a gold sink as that prevent players from reselling that item after use, hence less gold received for that player, not a gold sink by definition but act as one to individual.

Also, having something that drain gold from player is a positive than not having it at all, inflation is inevitable but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to slow its pace.

14. skien

skien IncGamers Member

If in inferno to clear a boss all you need to do is upgrade one piece of gear I think that people will clock D3 before they have to reach into their wallets. Inferno is supposed to be an end-game-esque progression, you might down the final boss in act one but it doesn't necessarily mean you're ready to take on the beginning of act two - you gear up and prog

15. skien

skien IncGamers Member

....Whaaaat?... if anything BoE will mean that the player can only exchange the item for gold... how is that a gold sink?

16. Crudesash68

They work, but they are constantly policed, and are of little impact.

As I wrote above, it is not the RMAH that causes this. While to a certain extent more people may use the RMAH due to its accessibility (although, as I stated above, I do not believe it will increase farming), I think in the end people will do what they do.

Also, just how many of these amazing t-16 swords do you think there will be? How hard can the content be if these amazing weapons can be found so easily?

17. cozmiccc

Yes, players can always try to find a way to trade real money for in-game item, BUT without the official avenue to do that, that will leave out only the most desperate and willing player to look for those avenue and have the confidence on that unsanctioned system. With the way Blizzard-approved RMAH now it's inevitable that there will be tonnes of players that are getting into RM transaction which they will never do if it was not official.

Item binding doesn't have to be BoP, BoE is fine too, you still get player-trading, but not circling in perpetuity within the economy, what we are looking for is that reliable gold removal from the economy.

Also I don't call why item kill D3 because I believe the opposite that 'item is the driving force of D3', that's why we need to preserve its integrity.

18. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Or they salvage them, which is where the item "sink" is going to be anyway without binding. It's going to take crazy numbers of crafts to get remotely close to best in slot items and every top end craft will need mats salvaged from a lot of gear.

Plenty of Gold sinks already - Crafting, Repairs, Gem unsocketing and combining.

19. cozmiccc

How hard? like my previous example, it can be either absolutely rare (ala Zod) that will make it hard for even farmers companies to find it, but are also close to impossible for us (hence no point on trying to find it in the first place), or reasonably rare chance for us that will still dangle the hope for us to one day find it (but no problem for farmers groups with their crazy available resources hence flooding the economy).

Either way how can an individual player like you and me be compared fairly to a professional farmer companies that employs 50 players running 18 hours 7 days a week grinding and farming? no drop standard can match these two camps fairly...

20. cozmiccc

BoE is not technically a gold sink, but to players it remove the potential of them from earning that gold again from 'used' item, less gold for them in the long run.

Would you rather salvage tier-14/15 weapons for another legendary essence or sell it for massive gold/real-money?