Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why Macros Will Be Necessary To Play A Monk

Discussion in 'Monk' started by sleepyxtreme, Apr 17, 2012. | Replies: 29 | Views: 6636

1. sleepyxtreme

sleepyxtreme IncGamers Member

Why Macros Will Be Necessary To Play A Monk

Basically, Monk's primary skills have three steps. Meaning i can use fists of thunder for my first hit, deadly reach for my second hit, and crippling wave for my third hit.

However, this does not seem easy to effectively use.

I'd like to see a way to customize my left mouse click to let me choose which skill i want to use for each step.

However, i know the diablo team will never do this. therefore, i'll have a primary skill set to left mouse, 5, and 6, then i'll macro the best combination for a 1 click solution to customization.

i find it inevitable to avoid this as combinations can make the game hugely interesting.

Ideally, these could be a configured macro:

1st Hit: Thunderclap (Fist of Thunder Rune) (teleports to the target in first attack) or Fists of Fury which adds a quick dash to the first attack.
    2nd Hit: Hands of Lightning (Way of a Hundred Fists Rune) (increases the number of hits on the second hit from 7 to 10) OR one of the skills that increases the spirit generation
    3rd Hit: the highest damage attack such as Windforce Flurry another Rune that specifically effects the third strike

what do you guys think :)?
  2. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

Re: Why Macros Will Be Necessary To Play A Monk

You have difficulty pressing 1,2,3?

I guess remap a few of the bar buttons to LMB + modifier binds. Then you can click away and change spell quickly by holding alt,ctrl, or any other key you fancy.

3. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Do monk combos actually work that way? I thought you had to press the same skill three times in a row. I never thought to try any different though.

4. Spartak

Spartak IncGamers Member

Blizzard bans people for assigning several commands to one key through 3rd party programs. At least they do it in Starcraft 2. Maybe they won't be so harsh in Diablo 3 since it is not that competitive. Still, I wouldn't take that risk if I were you.
  5. Capt Goodman

Capt Goodman IncGamers Member

The only macro you really need is for the Barb's Ancient Spear. You just need the macro to call out "GET OVER HERE" whenever you use it.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. sleepyxtreme

Except you can't do it perfectly every time and it's not efficient.... and most likely you'll just be spamming and not taking advantage of the rune you picked (one's that specifically effect the first attack, second attack, or third attack)

And yes, this is the way it works (i'm playin in the beta). it works in overall character steps. so step 1 [insert skill] step 2 [insert skill] step 3 [ insert skill].

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

on top of that the passive "combination strike" grants bonus damage if you use them all
  8. sleepyxtreme

ahhh that's a good point i didn't see

9. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Why didn't Blizzard emphasise the combo system in the Monk video? Makes him sound a lot more interesting to play.
  10. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Hate to burst your bubble, but anything with more than 1-2 spirit generators will not be viable end game. You will need survivability skills to make it happen.

11. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Because there is no real combo system. At most you can pick 2 generators and still have a reasonable build. Damn you 6-skill slot limit!!

12. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Macros would certainly help, but if I recall correctly, Blizzard explicitly stated that they won't be legal to use in Diablo3.

If you wanna use 3 spirit generators (and I will probably experiment with this at some point just because of Combination Strike :p), it'll have to be entirely skill :).
  13. Buu

Buu IncGamers Member

Or you could practice the timing for each skill, and get good it.
  14. rodge

rodge IncGamers Member

I'm going soooo going for a combo monk. Trying 2 of em out in beta at the same time (Piercing Trident & Crippling Wave) gave me versatility and really gave an impression that I'm generating Spirit more quickly. Using these two skills, I never really thought I'd need to use my other skills unless I have to dish out more damage, or if it's completely necessary. Think of the runed combos too!

I changed my keybindings so that I can relax my hands more though. Instead of using 1234, I'm using ZXCV so that I can hold shift and press any of the keys without straining my hands. I think this is more efficient if you're using a combo monk too.

This. Don't hold your keys. One at a time.

15. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

This.

Yup. There is a slight delay between your key presses/mouse clicks and the actual command being carried out in game. If you are fast enough you can que up commands a few milliseconds ahead of them actually taking place, almost as if you were building a combo. The faster your weapons are the easier it gets because you can que up more commands.

16. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

Have to admit I don't see why a macro would be needed for this.
  17. Hokuto no Ken

Hokuto no Ken IncGamers Member

except there's a nice passive that gives you an incentive to use multiple spirit generators on the monk. combination strike...
  18. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Timing isn't the only issue. There's also the whole inability to click lock and cycle skills like you could in D2.

*desire to play barb jumps about 10 points*

19. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

lol so true

20. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Click locking is indeed gone, but I think it's for the best. It trivialized targeting and it was partly to blame for D2's boring combat system.

Skill cycling is still in though. You can hold down the hotkey for Frenzy for example and if you hit the key for Ground Stomp it will go off as soon as the current swing for Frenzy finishes. You'll start swinging again after GS finished, you won't have to lift your finger from Frenzy. This is very much like D2's system, where you could switch skills while you kept the mouse buttons pressed down. This new system requires one less keystroke to do this and it feels much more natural, at least to me.