Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why is witch doctor the least popular class?

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by Dogbert, Aug 8, 2012. | Replies: 25 | Views: 10545

1. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Anyone got some ideas? The necromancer in diablo 2 was also one of the least popular after the druid and sin i think.
  2. Jedouard

Jedouard IncGamers Member

Well, the Necro wasn't always the most popular class. For quite a while, he was pretty unpopular in fact. From release, the Necro's skeles and skele mages sucked late game and poison was never useful. His only survivable summons were the raise dead minions, but even they sucked because they did no damage. The golem was virtually useless once they nerfed the iron maiden/blood golem combo. The only thing the Necro had going for him was his bone spirit, but that only lasted until patch 3 or 4, when they nerfed that too for no apparent reason.

It took years until patch 10, which fixed all of this. The skeles and skele mages became survivable and dealt decent damage (at the cost of being able to summon 1 skele every 3 skill levels after level 3 versus 1 every level, but that was welcome given the lag). Raise dead and clay golem became good one point wonders. Poison and Bone each became their own twink trees for massive damage. And, most importantly, telebombing aura-mancers entered the game and were easily the most versatile, over-powered build. That's when Necros became favorites.

Witch Doctors are unpopular for the same reason the early Necro was unpopular: their minions are useless and they are pigeonholed into one build (as far as I know): spam zombie bears and use a bunch of high duration spells to accomplish that.

3. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Witch Doctors seem to be unpopular for a couple reasons:
    1. They disappointed the hopes of people who wanted to play them as a pet/summon class. All those folks made WDs, got to inferno, probably kept going in spite of not having fun because they wanted to make gold, then switched to another class. The pets' bait and switch soured them for WDs.
    2. Witch Doctors don't have a miracle build. They aren't particularly weak compared to any other class's default CC builds (tank barbs, gc dhs, blizz/hydra wizards, standard monks), but they also don't have any special builds that become fantastic with only very specific gear like the ww/sprint barbarians and critical mass wizards.

Both of these lead to fewer people playing WDs; most of the excitement is centered around two builds from two other classes and the people who originally wanted to play WDs anyway have often quit.

Jedouard, I'm going to have to disagree about WDs having only one build (rain of toads/acid rain tanks at the very least are quite different and there are a lot of variation for VQ builds too) and fishymancers being overpowered and most versatile (they had their weaknesses and shared the versatility title).
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

Witch Doctors are the least popular because:

1. Pets suck in endgame.
    2. Mana... you either have to use vision quest passive or not use any secondary skills (by using 2 primary skills).
    3. Less people are attracted to this archetype than the other 4 classes.
  5. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Yes i remember this. My very first charachter in diablo 2 classic 1.00 was a necromancer using the blood golem/iron maiden combo.
    Lol people were always crying. "Plz necro no skeletons or mages" heheh. I guess the minions caused massive lag or something.

Even corpse explosion was nerfed. Do you remember? It used to kick some serious *** before it got nerfed. I think they changed it to not scale with monster hp or something (When more people entered the game) Or maybe it was the monster resistances that got buffed. Can't remember. At any rate it wasn't quite the same after that.

But is the witch doctor really that bad? The necro was great for group play. Lower resist everything for sorcs. Or Amplify damage for the rest. Revives were awesome tanks etc.
  6. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

yes, the WD is that bad

summon skeleton warriors are awesome in D2 -- but zombie dogs die too easily and the 60 second cooldown to resummon them is ridiculous; they die and you have to stand there waiting and waiting before you can resummon them

corpse explosion is awesome in D2 -- but you had mana leech and charms and runewords and items that increased your mana and man regen

you don't have that as much in D3 so its difficult to keep bears or acid rain going because you keep running out of mana

my zombie dogs don't even get healed when I drink a potion
  7. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

Yes pets are horrible past nightmare.

It should be a priority to fix them.
  8. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

Meh... People say WDs suck for the same reason they said Necros sucked back in the day. Its because their puny brains cant figure out how to use them.

Even in this thread people are saying WDs suck, but what they really mean is their 'build' isnt working for them. Mainly summons... And i agree Summons are bad. But summons are a small part of WDs and they still can be used with the right set up.

Back in d2 my necros where mostly PVP necros. Any negative attitude toward me i would simply go to town and hostile everyone.

It was always funny.. To watch players talk smack about Necros, not invite me to partys and STILL mock me right after i hostile them. Even funnier when i killed them all in seconds, took their gold and hacky sacked their ears around.

Some players would try and get back to their corpse and id bone prison them while they where naked putting them on time out.. Oooh the rage that followed was priceless.

Yes...Necros suck.. And yes WD suck. I hope it stays that way...lol
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  9. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

No.... Not every WD uses zombie bears or is pigeonholed intot one build. Lord knows i didnt.

Also...Real d2 was before enigmas and synergies. Necros where considered the underdog class then and thats whan they where the most fun to play. I used to hang out with alot of PvP Necros on useast.

And i can say, between me and that group of Undead Freaks we could chew up and spit out 99% of the players on Useast in seconds.

Necros sucked... And we liked it that way.

10. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

@Vooodu

If you noticed we didn't said they sucked, we said they are less popular.

They maybe are less effective in inferno than other classes, but definitely don't suck.
  11. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

The only builds I really find more powerful than my WD are my WW/sprint barb and my critical mass wizard. Other than those, the WD seems about as effective as other builds I've tried with the wizard and barb and all the builds I've tried with my monk and dh.

12. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

I think it depends on what people consider effective.

My current WD build is kind backwards in what I thought I was gonna make. I can't really kill anything fast but i can live forever. In public inferno games range classes love me because i can take the biggest possible beating by crowd controlling with my body.

Its kind of funny when im pretty much getting 40000+ health from my LoH in a second while getting smacked around by packs of monsters. Watching 10+ arcane lazersrip through me and almost kill me feels like im gear checking the monsters..lol

Im like.. NO. Im NOT gonna move. Im gonna stay right here and LoH a million health while you puny monsters waste your freakin time.
  13. Nodders

Nodders IncGamers Member

I have all 5 classes in inferno but my WD pet build is my favourite and also my MF farmer, roll on the patch at the end of the month to make my pets more sturdy , can't wait :)
  14. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

I also have all classes in inferno (except monk he's level 55) and I'll definitely go back to playing my WD once the pets are buffed. That's really what kept me away from him.
  15. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

#1 reason witch doctors aren't played... spamming poison dart for 54 levels is hella boring. My issue is the mana cost. I love my wd build but I'm always low on mana and vision quest won't work with my build. If vision quest stacked based on 1-4 skills and not just only 4 skills on cd, would be much nicer. The pets was also a big one for me. First toon I created in d3 was wd and I was gonna be super pet/super cc guy. Then I realized pets die in 1 hit and much of the cc doesn't work on bosses. I'm still havin fun with him but they could use some work.
  16. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

be awesome to see some mana gems (either max or regen)
    or some that reduce cooldown by 1%, 3%, 5%, 7%, 10%, 12%, 15% and so on
  17. torand

torand IncGamers Member

You have a pet build that actually works in Inferno? You should share IMO, because I am really curious.

My Witch Doctor was my first 60 because I LOVE pet classes. I was sad when my zombie dogs started dying in one hit in hell, but I still had my gargantuan, so I was OK with that. Then he started dying in a couple hits towards act 4 Hell. Got to inferno and all the pets seemed completely unusable, so I leveled other characters. I now have almost 4 classes at 60 (One is in their 50s), and I really miss my WD. If they fix pets, I am bringing him back!!

18. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

yeah, zombie dogs and gargantuan should be the recipient of the positive effects of Life on Hit and the negative effects of Reflect Damage
  19. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

The build is basically:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZRhYT!agX!aaaZcY
    You can switch out skills here and there. acid rain gives u instant aoe damage reduction+damage (also nice for loh/lifesteal). poison dart, grasp and spirit walk can be switched out for w/e. Some people use locust swarm but that instant HUGE aoe acid rain is baller :).

This requires certain gear to use. You need some life regen 600+ and high armor/allres 5k/600+. My buddy is runnign something like this in act2/3 atm so I'm guessing it works :p. I'm gonna try it soon but I have to win an auction to get the gear first :/, dang snipers.

20. deya

deya IncGamers Member

Well, for me, the answer is really simple:

Witch Doctor doesn't fill the spot he was designed to. IMO his skill set is close ranged/melee casters set but he doesn't have the tools to withstand the huge damage output Inferno monsters dish out. Pets and mana costs currently both sucks big time.

There's only 2 options:

A) Overgear the content, I mean, you need to have EXTREMELY good gear to play WD with Bears/Locusts etc close ranged abilities at Inferno A3-A4
    B) Stick to the few long ranged abilities he has, such as Darts & Bats.

Option A) is EXTREMELY expensive and you need to be super rich to gather such a good gear.
    Option B) DH/Wiz just does this so much better. They are a lot better kiters, have better tools for that and they also have better damaging abilities such as Piercing Orb/Elemental Arrow to get the job done.

WD also suffers from extremely harsh Mana costs which makes him the only class who really really struggles with his resources. You can play VQ build with mana regen from gear and do OK but again, you need to gimp your build AND get some great gear to pull this off.

Three things that would greatly improve WD:

Improve base manaregen/lower mana costs a lot so that he can actually spam stuff and not be dry in 2 seconds.
    Give him ability like Energy Armor/Prismatic Armor to make him sturdier.
    Make pets usable and let this game have one effective summoner.

I would love to see WD a better class but right now I feel silly to play my WD. The gear I have is rather highend and I struggle at Act 3, the same gear used on my Wizard makes him immortal and I can clear the game inside out with exactly same gear. As much as I love WD, he is just in a bad spot right now and Blizzard needs to buff him by fair margin.