Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why in the heck do I enjoy Diablo 3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by TheDestructor, Jul 13, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 1009

1. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

Often, many have wondered, or I assume at least they have wondered, "Why do people enjoy Diablo 3? This game is pure crap!"

Well, I enjoy it for a variety of fairly simple reasons, though for your sake, not enough to write a novel. So here goes.

1. Loot -- Whaaat? I like the loot system. In Diablo 2, you knew what the best piece of gear you would get was, because the best piece of gear was The Occulus, or Harly, or Stormshield, that was it. So you spent the entire 500 hours of farming, hoping to see that one item drop. Addicting, but also somewhat maddening, and a bit silly, because in a game that triumphs on randomization of everything, it would make more sense that you could end up wearing just about any combination of gear. (Yes, more powerful legendaries would be more welcome -- mostly in the area of weaponry -- but it's not really a game killer for me as it is for others.) And what makes me most excited when farming, is that somewhere out there is a drop 100x more powerful than anything I could imagine. This is appealing to me. Some people like to know what they're after, but the great unknown has more appeal to one such as myself.

2. Combat -- The combat can piss you off sometimes sure, but so can Contra and Mario Brothers and Monopoly and just about every other game ever made that was worth playing. Sure, some combinations are just plain unfair, but some combinations are just barely beatable, and for me this is where the game is firing on all cylinders. Where you have JUST good enough gear, JUST good enough build, and are truly on top of your game to just barely eek out a victory against a truly vicious pack. It really adds another element of enjoyment to the game beyond: "Did anything good drop?" For example, just the other day, I managed to survive against 2 elites at once. It felt...wait for it... AWESOME.

3. Disintegrate: Convergence Rune -- Not much more to be said about this one. I mean, pretty freaking obvious.

4. Gold -- It's hard to come by and it has worth. I like that. I like the repair bills since they mean I play that much harder and try to live that much more. Plus, I like money. It's a small thing, but money management really adds another layer to the game play outside of finding loot.

I guess my opinion is a bit skewed since I've ONLY played about 240 hours since release when others have played much MUCH more (and I'm jealous of them for that :p) so I've not quite obliterated Inferno like so many others. I'm slowly working my way through Act 1 Inferno and enjoying finding all of my gear, crafting gems, crafting items, and slowly gaining marginal increases in power, as I grow into a literal god but that's okay, because the journey is fun and satisfying and though this might sound like crazy talk, I hope to continue on it for many years to come.

So that's me. And why, in my eyes, this game is just fine.

2. Inntinn

Inntinn IncGamers Member

How I wish the forum would allow me to just:

+1

3. Mackan

Mackan IncGamers Member

Well, just stay away from the auction houses though. Once you realize that all the best loot is there, you'll start to feel... different.

In my eyes, the game is not fine. I stopped playing. But that's me.

4. Carisma

Carisma IncGamers Member

I honestly stopped reading your comment after you said you enjoy the loot! I entered this post to be enlightened by something I might of overlooked, but to see this made me really laugh. The loot system in Diablo 3 is horrible, it is generic and often filled with affix's that do not mix or that is completely useless. I am glad that you are enjoying the game, and I hope you always will, but the loot should not be a reason you enjoy the game, as the loot and the end game is 2 of the biggest problems with the game.

5. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

It's good to see a different view for a change...but I still have to say

There's really no "great unknown" as far as the loot goes much more than in D2. The stats are a bit boring in items and you'll know exactly what you're looking for in rares, what numbers you'll get and want. You get an item with bigger numbers than your previous item, that's it. Hardly a surprise and not much different than finding an unique item in D2 with better stats than your current version. The main difference is that in D3 theres a much larger chance that your item is useless

The combat has satisfying elements to it, but once again the elites have too much abilities that take the control away from you. I don't recall such things in the Mario games I played.

Money management is fine as an additional layer, however when it takes the center stage in a loot based game it's a major problem. Compared to "loot managament" money management is dry and dull

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  6. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Ah more fanboyism.. just what we need.

yet those were DIFFERENT places. So in diablo 2 one could farm different places and still gain progression in the game. Heck even if you didn't get loot you could just farm for levels. This isn't the case in D3, D3 is just farm inferno, inferno inferno.. Ow you wish to do something else? bad luck for you we're not giving you any loot or xp rewards cya!

7. Karamo

Karamo IncGamers Member

If I want the best loot not to be unique I'd play Diablo 2 Classic. From day one, the rare affixes/suffixes was a blast with all the fun stats that could spawn. Not sure how D3 could fail on this point when it was perfect from day 1 of D2...

8. Terenas

Terenas IncGamers Member

Any combination of gear ? Based on my limited experience (highest char in A3 Inferno): you are going to desire Primary Stat/Vit/All Res for most slots. Also IAS/Crit %/Crit Damage. Weapon Damage/LoH etc... Like the monk says vs Maghda:"No more lies! No more illusions!" :). I simply do not see the variety you see: yes you are going to be equipped with rares and the occasional Legendary, but the core stats are those - almost no escape. Also, because your gear will belong to the best tier, you will also look like your friends of the same class I think (excluding dyes/wings). Basically back to 1.09 where every bowzon was like Gaze/Shaft/Buriza/WF/can't remember the class specific one.
    reminds me of "You can't do that heroic/raid because you lack dps/heal/mitigation" - Gear Check. It feels like that other game.
    To have a currency is good. I lived through the SoJ Pgems Runes ages and I think that gold is more interesting as a currency. The problem I see is that the bots appear to introduce too much gold/items in the game, or at least at a far faster rate than players would.
    After 240h you might have a decent opinion on the game imo. But if you are crafting items... I don't know, maybe you are playing the slot machine to craft a killer 6 properties rare, but you have to have a lot of resources to do that.

I like the game too, but it almost looks like you are trying too hard to like it. And, D2+LoD got a few things right, why scratch everything ? (yes I know, not the same people in dev).

9. Supernova

Supernova IncGamers Member

Well I'm glad some people are enjoying it..

I'm not =(

Haven't been on in a week, and I come to this site occasionally just to see whats happening.

10. Snakefinger

Snakefinger IncGamers Member

Combat IS great in this game, light years ahead of previous versions. It's nice that gold has actual value in this game. I whole-heartedly disagree with you on items though. I want to upgrade all my armor spots -- helm, shoulders, chest, body, belt, boots & my off-hand (quiver). You know what I"m looking for? In order of importance: +Dex, +Vit, +All Resist. There is no need to search for legendary or set pieces because the chance is 0.1% of finding a set or legendary that is either a.) an upgrade OR b.) something you're looking for. The game play is phenomenal in this game, but the loot system lacks any viable long-term appeal.