Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why I deleted all my characters and started over

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by InteNuIgen, Aug 21, 2012. | Replies: 48 | Views: 6977

1. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

Hi all, first post! :)

I had one level 60 wiz which was selffound up to level 60, then i hit what for me was a brick wall: Inferno act 1.
    I always considered AH "cheating" but eventually ended up there, upgrading my gear.

What happened? Well, i advanced to act 2 and then another brick wall. I never got any upgrades and enjoyment was gone.

I also had a level 55-ish barb and some other lowlevel chars. But i guessed same thing would have happened to them.

So after a long thought i decided that struggling to beat inferno was not what i enjoyed.
    The news of the Paragon levels finally decided it for me. Beating Inferno would be reduced to.. well, nothing.
    Now it will be a grind-fest, because that is what this game is about, farming and looting.

So i sold or salvaged everything non-top-gear, and gave away the rest to a friend. I gave him jewels, i63 gear, tomes, even the rest of my gold, everything.

Then i deleted every softcore character i had and created a new wiz-woman, "Deathbringer" :)

The feeling of once again run selffound is great. I get upgrades all the time and with patch 1.0.4
    just around the corner, this will be even better!

A note about legendarys which speaks volumes about the randomness of them dropping:
    I had just played my first char for like 3 hours, and BAM! a legendary dropped of some trash mob in the cathedral
    (Slave Bonds, pure trash roll). "Hey this will be great!"
    I have then played for over 400 hours and not a single one has dropped.

Here's hoping for more (and more powerful) legendarys post-patch :)

2. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

We've always called then "restarts", and most SPFers restart every now and then. One thing to look forward to is the increased drop rates of legendaries with ilvl 50 or less. Doesn't get too much press from the 60 croud... they couldn't care less. I'm just getting up to ilvl 40, so hope to see some effect of that change. Most of the patch has little effect on my play though. I like the light blue text, but still wonder why they're leaving white/grey items able to picked up. Leave them as drops... fine. But there's absolutely no one picking them up on purpose.

3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Cool, good luck on the restart!

I've kept my HC characters AH free and will continue to do so, that way I can go back to basics if I feel overpowered with my AH gear on SC :p

4. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

I have a level 60 Monk, he's just started Inferno and had his arse handed to him every time he saw an elite, lol. I've started to upgrade his level 40-50 gear on the AH. I just started a Barb who will use a separate tab in the stash and be self-found, till level 60 at least. I'm tempted to delete the Monk to do a proper restart but I may be able to have the best of both worlds?

5. InteNuIgen

Just a minor update:

I am now level 57 and about to start act 3 Hell. Upgrades have arrived at a steady pace, which have made me feel neither over- nor underpowered for the content in question.

Belail Hell was easier than i remembered, but maybe i have more hp this time (about 17k). :)

From now on think i will play with a helmet - on myself. If a brown or green item drops i will probably faint and i dont want to hit my head in the desk :D

6. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Site Pal

The AH has tainted gameplay for me too. I built a gold find character but then realized I only need gold to buy items from the AH.

So I have sold everything and started over. How do I get rid of my gold? Buy one expensive item and drop it? I don't have any online friends and offering gold in a public game sounds like a scam.

Edit: I ended up spending 2 million on fiery brimstone and throwing it on the ground. Relevant video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  7. InteNuIgen

I know a few people that would have cried seeing you do that. :D

But proper restart or no restart, i say. Good luck!

8. InteNuIgen

I agree, but had my view slightly distorted yesterday when i picked up a white 2h by accident. When i was about to throw it away, i saw that it had higher dps than the blue 2h i was currently holding.

I had no use of the affixes of the blue, so i ended up carrying a white weapon for awhile :D

That said, i will not bother about whites, this was a one-off

9. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Site Pal

I've been recording the different types of whites/greys and will be posting a breakdown of it soon. An example affix is 'Fine' which is +dmg%. I have a fine short sword that gives +29% dmg. That's better than a lot of blues with +dmg%.

10. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

I don't twink my lowbie characters much (just a baby legendary here and there, if they offer any improvement), and that being the case, I can spend quite a lot of A1 normal running around with non-magical weaponry.

My monk is in A3 using socketed magic fists made via Haedrig now, but back in A1, she inspected (and used) many different high quality white daggers.

Whites do stop being very useful after A1, but during, they can be best-in-slot.

11. InteNuIgen

Painman: this was in act 3 hell. In normal, i often carry whites

12. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Ah, well that's different then.

For Hell below lvl 60 I have a 560 damage 1H axe with a lvl req of 50. ;)

13. Crunchy II

Just had a thought, it'd be difficult to do a true restart in Diablo 3, you can't reset the artisans! You could certainly self-regulate use of patterns, i.e. don't craft items that you haven't found the pattern for since reset.

14. Aremi

Aremi IncGamers Member

Hi all, I made restart as well, trashed all and started over for 1.04. I play HC SP selffound and I enjoy it as I always did in D2. My pace is slow, I do full map clears with all 5 classes on similar level. I am currently in Act II normal with the team. Rares are very rare and first chipped gems just started to drop. :)

Crunchy: Though you can't reset artisans and stash, you can virtualy level them again in spreadsheet. Just spend the required gold on healing potions and throw it away.

15. InteNuIgen

Crunchy: i considered what to do with the artisans, but thought that since i can't equip crafted gear above my level, and the "gem find" is scaling slowly as i progress, i just decided to leave it.

Aremi: good luck with the restart!

Last night, i reached lvl 60 (act 4 hell). I found a great upgrade, ilvl 61 2h bow with 740 dps to replace my 370 dps wand. :)
    I then was able to beat diablo, with 10k dps and 24k hp. Used a new combo of mirror image and venom hydra that worked really well.

Starting to climb against my first paragon level, i was pleased to see that NV also gave up to 75% bonus exp! Have this been the case all along? Time to get rid of the ruby in the helm, job done :D

16. Crunchy II

That was added in patch 1.04, it wouldn't have made sense before :).

17. InteNuIgen

Sv: Why I deleted all my characters and started over

Yeah that makes sense ha! :eek:

18. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

I don't personally run with a ruby in my helm (socketed helms are absurdly overpriced on AH and I'm not likely to find a replacement for my current helm on my own). However, the difference between 75% exp gain and 104% exp gain is pretty decent. If you're planning on grinding a high NV, I'd use a ruby unless it somehow interferes with your farming speed. Compare it to D2 Baal running. Would I have liked to finish my Baal runs on Mihana 15% sooner? Uh...yeah.

Leoric's signet, on the other hand, is garbage. That's taking up a prime offensive power slot on your gear. Don't do it unless your stats are godly everywhere else.

19. InteNuIgen

Just an update on my self-found progress.

I am currently at act 2 inferno and farming act 1 comfortably.
    This is my current gear and i am very pleased to have found it myself :)

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Majo666-2473/hero/18986033

Got a very nice "cake-hat" with a Star Ruby (+25% xp) and i am currently at Paragon level 5.
    Since i don't use AH i can put a lot of gold into jewel crafting.
    About to craft a Star Emerald soon for even more output.

Farming act 1 with ease but finding upgrades there is harder now with my current gear.

I have just retrieved Kulles head and survivability is much better now than my former wizard.
    Focusing more on armor and resist now and i would have no problem to lower my dps if i could find all res or high armor gear.

Every piece is ilvl 61 or 62, except for ilvl 55 pants which could use a replacement.
    Blue weapon is kind of "meh" but combined with the off-hand it makes for the highest dps so far.

Will focus more on act 2 now, and try to reach Belail and then some more farming

20. Conanbarbarian

Conanbarbarian IncGamers Member

Doesnt changing region give you a complete clean slate?