Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why does reading this site just make me feel sad and angry?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Xeodus, Aug 21, 2012. | Replies: 37 | Views: 2841

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

I've just got back from holiday to find a whole bunch of cool stuff has been announced for the 1.04 patch - awesome! Having burnt out on D3 after the release, I can't wait to see if the changes get me playing again.

Then I saw the interview and following Jay Wilson drama. Then I felt sad.

I felt especially sad when I read the comment about incgamers being a 'paragon of objectivity' or whatever it was - and Elly's reference to it in a comment on a post. I don't know what has happened to this site, but over the last few years it has turned into a breeding ground of negativity. I'm not saying this is your fault Elly or any of the other contributors, but something has changed. How has it happened that incgamers now has acquired this reputation, which seems to be justified looking at the response to each news article posted, when I used to love coming here to soak up every little bit of D2 news when it was being developed. What happened to that site?

Anyhow, I didn't mean this to be a rant...I'd hope in the end we all just want to enjoy playing games, D3 or whatever else - not waste our time slagging off the developers who work so hard to make the games we enjoy. I'm sure I'll end up getting flamed for posting this - please go ahead. I feel better now I've let off some steam. It's your turn.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

Ohhhh the complete irony in this.....

If you would look at what ACTUALLY happened it would probably make more sense to you. I'm not sure if you realize this but the above and beyond majority of people agree that the actions from the D3 team (especially Jay Wilson) were quite unprofessional and immature. Whether or not you want to quit blizzard games or D3 is up to you, but that doesn't take away the fact that the D3 team really acted immaturely.

The only reason that the lady made any sort of negative comment about incgamers was because the interview with David Brevik was done by incgamers, and posted on incgamers. Since in the interview the quality of D3 was questioned a few of the D3 team took it upon themselves to bash any and all involved.

Because that certain lady cannot take criticism, she said that incgamers is very biased. Just because she says incgamers is biased does not in anyway make this site bad. Much like how JW calling DB a loser means absolutely nothing. The D3 devs need to start acting like adults, they should be embarrassed.

3. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

You should feel sad for the drama caused by Jay Wilson himself. However, I'm confused why you are trying to direct the blame to this site
  4. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

I'm absolutely not commenting on what the D3 team said about the interview, and if that was right or wrong. It does seem a bit immature - but honestly - I couldn't care less.

All I wanted to say was that in general, I find reading news posts with pages and pages of negative comments boring. Why do I do it? Good question - I used to read articles on here and the comments because I found they added to my understanding of the games being developed, and found the opinions of people on here interesting.

Now - it just makes me feel...well...like I said - sad.

5. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

I don't want to blame anyone really - it's just a shame that reading stuff on here makes me feel like this. It didn't used to - so what is different now?

6. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

D3 isn't being received very well... idk if you have heard.

7. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

It really is quite simple. People don't enjoy D3 as much as they would have liked. But apart from some over-the-top dudes who post here, I don't think one should read every piece of negativity through sad-lenses. If anything a lot of it is positive as it has gotten Blizzard to improve their game

8. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Exactly. Its that simple, the game is a dissapointment to a huge number of players. Having the main developer being a PR disaster in person just contributes to it even more.

9. Armedsauce

Armedsauce IncGamers Member

Because its too little too late. They changing too much stuff without a ladder system; no resets. Having a RMAH also contained in that fact, with the fact that the game is basically a gold grind and not a item grind also on top of the fact that the devs just insulted david brevik basically pulled the pin from a hand grenade.

so why shouldn't incgamers have posted this info? It's huge info and displays the true colors of the d3 dev team and likely why this game is so bad in the first place.

The level of arrogance alone was astounding.

10. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

This is true - and I understand that criticism is really important, especially when you have a dev like Blizzard who are used to coasting through from one well received release to another. There is a difference between constructive criticism and mindless rage though. Take Kripparian for example, he might talk rubbish sometimes, but he also had some great suggestions about how to improve D3 - some of which seem to have inspired the new Paragon Levels stuff. When did anyone here last do something as constructive?

Maybe a lot of the negativity does come from a minority of very loud posters, but it feels like more than that. It feels like i permeates every news post, poll summary and even the podcasts. Am I alone in feeling this?

11. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

Of course I know people are disappointed with D3 as it is right now. I played for ~200 hours straight after release, and pretty much burnt out because I felt there was nothing left to do. What I don't understand is why are so many people spend their time making the same complaints over and over again, instead of discussing ways to help fix things?

On Jay Wilson, as I said previously - I don't care, and don't see why the developers personal comments should matter - isn't this about playing the game? Do you really see Jay's face floating in front of you while you play? I really hope not!

12. Armedsauce

The game sucks in massively part due to Jay Wilson. How can you not have his chins in the back of your mind while playing.

They made the hitbox extra big because Jay wilson thinks dodging isn't fun.

Come on now. The fact that he insulted the creator of diablo 2 should have dire consequences.

13. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

Ok so you don't like some of their design choices - fair enough. I think the ladder vs no ladder debate is pretty much a personal preference thing, and I'm not about to jump into another RMAH debate - but what I find amazing about all this is why people care about the dev team at all.

Would you enjoy playing the game more (or less) knowing that all the devs really really liked puppies? On the same lines, why does it matter if they don't like some guy who commented on their work? Does it affect how much you enjoy playing the game?

14. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

Why? This is exactly what I don't understand. Why do you care? Would you enjoy playing the game more if they had agreed with everything he said?

15. Xeodus

Xeodus IncGamers Member

Off to sleep - will reply when I get chance - lot of post holiday catching up to do!
  16. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

I guess people are just rather passionate about the Diablo series(hopefully not in a creepy way). I am and that's why I'm still here even though I don't particularly enjoy D3 and don't have much to offer to be honest LOL
  17. Armedsauce

No, probably because I already got my refund for this game back in June, I was in act 3 inferno 6 days into release since I'm boss, so I realized how bad this game was a lot sooner than a lot of other people. (High-five anyone?)

If he agreed with david brevik, and apologized to the community for D3 needing to be patched for being as bad as it is, I may have actually re-purchased it. Now, no chance in hell of that ever happening.

In the end the game is still a gold girnd, regardless of 1.0.4. Bots control the AH's, and if they don't intend to reset everyone after all these changes, the changes are pointless anyway. How is it fair that they nerf ias on EVERYONEs gear (not future drops but current gear) but won't do the same in regards for legendary items? how many builds and chracters have been destroyed due to their dumb changes?

Fact is, most of these changes are common sense changes and should have been in the game since release. Sad truth, bad developers.

18. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

Are you really this dense? This is not a popularity contest so don't spin it that way. DB commented on many of the concerns and dislikes about the game many people have been vocal about and that have contributed greatly to their diminished enjoyment of the game. JW insulting and dismissing him is by proxy a dismissal and insult to anyone that shared and expressed those concerns.

As a beta tester (since the last week of the F&F) I can tell you that time after time when we came up with concerns, suggestions and ideas to improve things we saw this dismissive attitude of "we know best" throughout the 9+ months of the beta. The few times we were actually listened to was when things were blatantly bad, like the horrible state of the Demon Hunter before they completely reworked the class.

The rest of the time many of our legitimate concerns were dismissed and drowned by fanboy backlash. "Shut up, it's Blizzard they'll fix it."
    I know you don't remember this but dps used to be much higher (ability coefficients and crafted weapon dps were nerfed several times during beta) and that all the class buffs and enemy scaling changes we are seeing in 1.0.4 pretty much reverse those nerfs that were introduced by them in the beta? It's like seeing a politician flip flop on their issues and never admitting to doing so even after being called many times on it.

19. AlienBoyz

AlienBoyz IncGamers Member

The replies/comments on this site are relatively tame in general to the flaming going on in the official forums. I always feel like my IQ drops 20 points when I start reading Blizz forums.

On a side note, I would hate to be a moderator on Blizz forums, the sheer amount of garbage you have to troll through...
  20. themeros

themeros IncGamers Member

Xeodus, it's all about human psychology:

1. There will ALWAYS be someone complaining about something. Anonymity brings the bad in people.
    2. The community is a reflection of the game. Game is good? Community is good. Game is bad? Community is bad. Why do you think the Diablo II community was better? Even then, people complained.

Here I am, complaining about your complaint on complains.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.