Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why do people cut?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stormrage112345, Jan 27, 2006. | Replies: 191 | Views: 6187

1. stormrage112345

stormrage112345 Banned

Why do people cut?

It's disturbed me for quite some time that a stupid practice like cutting has become a trend. I mean, I don't see any constructive point in it, and it seems like a lot of people just do it to be cool. Most of the preppies at school do it and whine about how it's because of all the drama in their lives or to get their friends to stop. WTF is wrong with them. Gaaaaah. Methinks it's time to break out thje screwdriver.
  2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

what? preppies? who? is this highschool chatter?
  3. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

The psychiatrist is in.

Some people cut as a release...they can't express their pain/disappoinment/anger in words so they cut themselves. Some people cut because it is a way to feel again when they feel dead inside. Some people cut as a cry for attention. And some people cut as a prelude to suicide.
  4. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Attention whores 90% of the time.
  5. stormrage112345

stormrage112345 Banned

8th grade, but that's just semantics.
  6. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

Is this something about the ever popular Elmo kids but without the L?
  7. LukeJames

LukeJames Banned

I would place my bet on prelude to suicide.
    They cut themselves alone in the night, that's not exactly an attention-whorish method. Not to mention with all the emo-bashing, nobody wants to be classified as a 'cutter' anymore.
  8. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

Oh, this is about cutting yourself. I thought it was about cutting in line and had a large discussion on Germans vs Italians planned in my head, but so much for that.

Probably for the same reason people get earrings, tattoos, designer jeans, nice watches, dyed hair, expensive shoes, sporty cars, etc; to get attention.
  9. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

1. are you talking about cutting wrists?
    2. screwdrivers are not nearly sharp enough.
  10. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

11. stormrage112345

stormrage112345 Banned

The people around here cut in class, claiming that it helps them feel better. Some cut in bathrooms. ANd they go arond showing off their scars. Oh, and I wouldn't cut, the screwdriver thing is an inside joke around my little circle, where I claim to want to stab anyone that I deem stupid in teh head with a screwdriver. Preferably a Philips. Philips screwdrivers are cool
  12. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I am not so sure that is true.

My experience is fairly limited but I think it's more a case of a lack of self-love on the part of the individual.

I suppose peer pressure can cause some to try it but I doubt they would continue if they love themselves.

Cutting most likely falls under the broader category of addiction. But I speak from limited experience and there are other posters here who know more of it than I do.
  13. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

If they do it in secret, prelude to suicide.

If they do it then talk about it/show it off, its attention whoring, like Otaku signing his posts.
  14. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

With all due respect, unless you've been there - you have no right to pass judgement.

I've seen first hand the effects. My roommate was a cutter. Not because she wanted to, not for attention, but because she felt she had to. She would fidget uncontrolably, her hands would shake, no chance that she could ever concentrate. She said that she felt like she was electrically charged, and that the cutting was a release of the pressure. She explained to me that cutting was a release for her, and that afterwards she could think clearly, and felt a little more normal. At that point she wasn't suicidal, but she needed a release.

The problem is that the cutting because like some drugs. The more she did it, the less it worked. Eventually they found a medication that would help. But for a while I would leave home with all our sharp, non-cooking knives, just to make sure that she wouldn't cut herself. However, when she needed that release, and was at the point of almost non-functioning, she would improvise with anything sharp.

Not because she wanted to - but because she couldn't not do it.
  15. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I spent several years working in a psychiatric treatment facility within the Texas Department of Corrections. In my experience, the inmates that did the shallow slices across their arms were looking for attention (or to get moved to a seclusion cell so they didn't have to work, or could flee from some trouble they'd gotten themselves into). The few who cut DOWN their arms, through the vein, were suicidal (and usually dead before we found them).

Having read Kaysaars post, I'd like to point out that some mentally ill people do cut for reasons other than suicide or attention-whoring. However, I was addressing the widespread fad of kids doing it lately. That's attention whoring, unless we're to believe there are that many mentally ill kids in our schools.
  16. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

My ex-wife was a self-injurer (the politically correct, non-offensive term for cutters, burners, hitters, or any other form of self-injuring behavior), more accurantly, she cut herself, and quite a great deal. So, I've got a bit of experience with this.

There are any number of reasons that someone will feel the need to self-injure. In the case of my ex, she injured herself when she was dissociating (Not 100% sure on what exactly this means, but it's like she isn't exactly herself), because the pain would bring her back to her senses, so to speak. I also think that it had a great deal to do with her wanting to bring attention to her numerous issues; After she had me giving her that attention, with my help, she's managed to stop cutting. She's been two years clean of it now.

She also had a great deal of support through a forum called Bodies Under Seige, run by a woman named Deb - I think she had something to do with a book of the same name. It's an awesome forum, very supportive, even if I can't handle all the angst - you have to remember, the incredibly vast majority of people there are self-injurers, with the few odd people like me who are related to them in some way and are there for support.

ANyway - reasons. As I mentioned about, dissociation, and in some cases, attention. There are those who do it because they want to commit suicide but can't quite bring themselves to go all the way, but use self-injury to bring attention to that. These, however, are in the vast minority, and most people who self injure will tell you it's about wanting to live, not about wanting to die. Granted, many self-injurers are suicidal, or nearly so, but that's not necessarily connected to their SI (self-injury), or their SI is their way of compromising.

There are people who do it to distract themselves from memories, or to try and cleanse themselves. I remember one story of a woman who regularly used a hair curler to try and cleanse herself of the memory/feeling of having been molested as a child. I'm sure a bit of imagination can lead to what all that entails.

I'm sure the list goes on, but while I am experienced in this, I can't even begin to claim that I know everything - so I'll shut up, and if anyone has questions, feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer.

::Edit:: Stormrage - in that situation, my bet would be on wanting the attention.
  17. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

He's on about self mutilation.

People who "cut" are usually out for attention, people who do "other stuff" are usually the real deal.

A lot of "cutters" merely score themselves in order to create the illusion of deep cuts. The blood wells up on the surface and the wounds appear worse than they actually are.

"Other stuff" generally includes less public things than "cut" wrists and forearms.
    "Other stuff" may include, bruising, burning, abrasion, piercing, and use of certain acids in order to cause pain and clean wounds.
    "Other stuff" usually appears on the inner thighs, lower abdomen and upper chest, as these areas are usually more concealed, as people who do this sort of thing usually don't want attention drawn to it and will avoid talking about it.

If I missed anything feel free to add it in.
  18. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Ah, I understand.

That sounds like a bit of a different situation than the original post was about though.
  19. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Thank you for your very openmindedness about this sensitive topic. Your friend is a very lucky woman to have such a supportive person in her life. As much as I agree with the trend of people self-harming for attention, I too am a recovering self injurer. Please do not peg me as an attention whore as it had nothing to do with it. It wasn't until just recently (two years ago) that I came out to my friends and family about it. I kept it very private therefore knocking out the attention-getting theory. It wasn't until I started coming clean about my problem that I actually started to get help. I realized that what I was doing wasn't healthy and walking around with long sleeves in the dead heat of summer was no way to live.
    I am not crazy and I am not suicidal. I have a problem and that is compulsion. I didn't choose this compulsion. I have been doing it since I was eight years old. I never understood why until I started seeking help for it. I don't think it would be helpful to get into the details as to why I do it because for each person it is different.
    Self injury is related to many mental problems such as borderline personality disorder and more specifically bulimia. I personally believe that many people do seek attention through doing it but really isn't that just a cry for help sometimes? Something more is obviously going on.
    All I know is that SI is a serious problem for those who do practice it. It is a very dangerous way of coping with your issues and I strongly urge anyone to seek help. There is help out there and it doesn't include being locked in a rubber room. You are always bigger than your problems. Having a support system in place is the best way to help overcome any problem.
  20. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

i knifed myself once.

too see how much it hurt.

It hurt.