Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why choose Diablo II?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Glitterlance, Mar 29, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 1543

1. Glitterlance

Glitterlance IncGamers Member

As a kid I remember how I used to go to my cousin's place and play Diablo II all day. I notice that this forum is pretty active, so this means that after 12-13 years of service this game is still active. Lately I found myself watching D2 gameplay videos. I know a lot about the game and interestingly enough, I still remember a lot from it. Now nostalgia has brought me to the point where I want to play it with my own copy. The store is right around the corner. I have the money. I only need a reason to buy it. Why should I play Diablo II over the other clones that got dull to me over the years. I remember spending hundreds of hours playing this game on friends' and cousin's computers as well as in computer clubs. I tried PoE and I didn't quite like it. Torchlight 2 got dull to me after about five-six hours of gameplay. Will it be the same with D2?
  2. Hector

Hector IncGamers Member

No, I think the difference is that Diablo II has depth. The character has countless of possibilities for improvements, via leveling, skills, stats, equipment, charms, hirelings, etc.

I'm playing a single player sorc for a few weeks, she's level 86 and she still feels like a starting character. She has so much room for improvement I cannot fathom how good she can still get.

Then I go find some stuff for her, I end up finding new items that make me want to create a new character around that item... and so on.

Diablo II is just so much fun!
  3. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Indeed, I don't know howmuch D2 costs nowadays, but it will certainly be more than worth its price, I guarantee you!

I installed the game for the same nostalgic reasons, but once you get started again, there's no way out :p I actually started browsing these forums again a week after I started playing D2 again ^^

Depending on what your love is, don't get overloaded in the beginning (eg: get a bunch of free items and boost etc so you have a godly lvl90 char after a week), it will drain a lot of fun from getting your first character with crap items through hell etc ;-)

On a related note though, I've been told the ladder will be resetting sometime in May, so you can practice for a month now, and then start all over with the entire community! Seems like an excellent plan to me!
  4. Glitterlance

Glitterlance IncGamers Member

Okay then. Expect me to be a part of the community in a couple of hours. What is the population like nowadays? Are there a lot of people playing in Europe?
  5. royalairfarce

royalairfarce IncGamers Member

Diminished a lot when D3 came out, and it's also late in the ladder. But there is always a core still playing, and some will probably return on the ladder reset (if/when it happens?).
    Tried some of the clones myself and indeed they feel to be lacking atm. Nostalgia and the fun to start from scratch to something powerfull in Hell always does the trick for me. And weird as it may sound, after all these years u still seem to discover weird builds that scream for u to try em out!
  6. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Melee (Dream/Bear) Sorc! ;)
  7. Dawnmaster

Just for a reference, check the recent thread dates in the trade value and trade europe forums to have an idea who's playing ;)

Apart from Hector (don't know it) all people who replied here play Europe Softcore Ladder :thumbsup:
  8. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Consider SP too. Some people prefer SP, some prefer the servers. I know of a few in the SPF who actually play both. Don't rush in, decide what you want to do. Ideally I would suggest trying SP now before the ladder resets, it would be a waste otherwise.
  9. dregen

dregen Banned

I remember I used to skip school just to play this game as a kid...
  10. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

The vast bulk of the playerbase is on softcore nonladder realms. This is because people like to build up chars on ladder, then as each ladder season ends, that wealth of ladder-only gear gets xferred to their primary nonladder treasure trove. If you login to the realms you will see pages of nonladder realm games.

The next most populated area is softcore ladder. Its can get busy there at peak times.

Hardcore appears to be quiet these days.

The europe realm seems to be the most popular. USEast has gotten unstable last I checked, with lots of "failed to join" messages when you try to enter games. USWest is stable and has players too, tho not as much as Europe.

Single player is very splintered. People play various mods, various rules, and it can be hard to even find people to play with you. I wouldn't recommend it. But there are fans of SP that are desperate to find others to play with.

Full disclosure:

I mostly play USWest softcore ladder, but I also play a little USWest hardcore ladder, and I have a USWest classic softcore ladder account.
  11. Dawnmaster

I was wondering why I only saw EUSCL threads popup like freckels in the Trade Value forum ^^