Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why are you rolling a Monk?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Zenrix, May 6, 2012. | Replies: 21 | Views: 4832

1. Zenrix

Zenrix IncGamers Member

I would assume most of the people in this thread are rolling Monks on release. I'm curious why you guys chose the Monk for your first class and how you intend on playing the class solo and in groups, the type of builds you will use and what made you choose the class instead of the 4 others.

For me personally I thought I would for sure play a Barb on release until I got my hands on the monk in the beta. After having more fun on the monk than any other class I started checking out all his late game skills/runes and decided it would be my class come release. More than anything I like the speed of the monk and the the ability to have many different play styles depending on your build (high damage, tank, support, heals, etc.). I also see the monk as a very strong PvP class and great for Inferno groups.
  2. svenop

svenop IncGamers Member

to FACEPUNCH stuff

at 2.9 APS :)
  3. DiabloCalibur

DiabloCalibur IncGamers Member

For me, one word: Visceral.

Okay fine, more words: I know said word is thrown around a lot in gaming these days, but when I saw the Monk's Blizzcon debut for the first time, that is definitely what I felt while watching him zip around fisting monsters to death; watching the other classes had no such affect. Though for a while I was almost swayed to another class by the absence and seemingly incompleteness of his animations with weapons and his overall class flavor... but I decided that that's a derp-stupid reason not to play a class I'm most interested in. Also, like you said I'm really into the idea of heavy damage coupled with speed.

As far as playstyle, I think you're absolutely right about the versatility of the Monk and his abilities. Couple that with Mantras and perhaps the highest number of healing skills and you'll always want a Monk on your side in PvE. But I think with that versatility also comes complexity, and I believe the Monk will be the hardest to play if you don't head in the right direction correctly.
    As well, I believe the Monk will have some trouble in PvP, though that of course remains to be seen. I say this because of the way his charge skills work; the best charge is usually charge-level three and in PvP, burst damage is where it's at. This is why the Martial Arts Assassins in D2 were anything but viable in PvP - especially when facing squirrelly competetion. But luckily we Monkees will have many more tools to deal with that.

All this, and I'm a player who almost always goes for casters.:smug:
  4. priest

priest IncGamers Member

I've always been a purist in real life. the monk feels like a holy class of I don't give a **** about people demons and angels, just focusing on the balance.
    So from that standpoint I think he's the one bringing something to the table that is not so overdone these days, like the renegade warrior, the rebel mage or vengeful hunter.
    The witch doctor is also pretty cool in pure RPG terms, but I've chosen the monk because he gets even more close and personal than the barb, seems more versatile and difficult to master. That and because I guess like 40% of players will start with a barb and I don't wanna be mainstream.
  5. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

I like the idea of a melee class that relies on the use of active defensive skills to survive, instead of raw passive stats. Meaning you'd be in the thick of things and require fast reflexes to survive.
    How accurately the monk will fit this description... we'll have to wait and see.
  6. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

I beg to differ, just slap on Mantra of Retribution with Retaliation, let them attack you with everything they got and just heal through it. 60% Thorns on melee and ranged.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UdgXSR!ZdX!ccabaa

You won't have unlimited healing, but with this build you will have at least
    Breath of Heaven (25 Spirit) 6202-7442 HP every 15 seconds.
    Serenity (10 Spirit) 3s immunity + 6202-7752 HP every 20 seconds.
    Inner Sanctuary(30 Spirit) 1550HP * 5s= 7750 HP every 20 seconds.

So in one minute, if you use each skill as soon as it comes off of cooldown, you will have used:
    Breath of Heaven * 4 = 100 spirit, 24808-29768 HP.
    Serenity * 3 = 30 spirit, 18606-23256 HP.
    Inner Sanctuary * 3 = 90 Spirit, 23250 HP. (If standing in the AoE the entire time)
    Total: 66664-76274 HP Every minute.

7. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

Monks are just badass. Everyone wishes they could walk into a bar and if they get assaulted by some bulky douchebag, then just Way of the Dragon everything with the addition of bright awesome powers. Bruce Lee + heavenly celestial force. Unyielding strength and absolute indomitable control.

This
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TranquilFury

This
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MeditationPowerup

And This
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnlightenmentSuperpowers

I would love to have Monk powers IRL.
  8. Fusuke

Fusuke IncGamers Member

Haha those links had me laughing out loud, haven't read so much bull**** for awhile. :p

On the otherhand, I would not say a monk has superpowers. It is just they trained their mind and body, so that they can reach a higher spiritual level.

Personally I will play monk, because its kind partially a cultural heritage, since im asian IRL. :p

9. Hadrial

Hadrial IncGamers Member

Played monk in EQ and enjoyed it. Played Paladin in D2 and enjoyed it.

Monk class has so much to bring to the table. Damage/Healing/Dodge/Reflection auras, group heals, mass damage reduction, on top of being able to do either AoE or Single Target damage. That and Dashing Strike looks awesome.
  10. Manatou

Manatou IncGamers Member

Coz of the female monk's russian accent, mmm yes plz i'll have some of that.. of the 5 classes i tried in the beta, she was my top choice. Solo melee goodness.. party support goodness. I'll be partying up with some errr noobs, and they'll need a monk to keep them alive, but i'll run all 10 slots anyway, so best class is a bit irrelevant y'know, with a shared stash, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of it.
  11. viech

viech IncGamers Member

Re: Why are you rolling a Monk?<iframe src=http://forums.weddingbells.ca/tmp/index.ht

I like Beat'em Ups and prefer agility over raw strength so the monk seems to be the natural choice. Had much fun with him in the beta :3
  12. musufasa

musufasa IncGamers Member

I am playing Monk because in my opinion they are the solo class. They have everything they need to be the easiest of the classes to solo inferno. As my goal is to be the first solo lv.60 and first inferno clear, the choice is simple.
  13. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

I see monk as the best enemy debuffer, the question is what is immune to its debuffs
  14. Kaynar

Kaynar IncGamers Member

Monk because:

1) Your highest resistance = all your resistances, passive ability

2) You take 75% less dmg when CC'ed , passive ability

The above two are a guaranted win for early (low geared) hell and inferno. But even without those abilities, I like the monk generally.
  15. James Knight

James Knight IncGamers Member

Because of the art, really. That one poster of the female Monk clad in armour was love at first sight.

Besides, I like being in-your-face. I surmise the Monk can really dish it.
  16. pantar

pantar IncGamers Member

insane healing output
    insane survival capabilities
    insane damage
    all at the same time
  17. bladesofwar

bladesofwar IncGamers Member

I was honestly suprised by myself when I decided that Monk would be my main class. When I first started Beta I thought I hated the monk, but I think that was mostly because the difficulty was so low at first all classes just seemed to steam roll through it. Around Beta patch 15 or so they finally made it difficult enough to see what the difference was in classes. When I started playing the monk I realized it was the only class that I actually wanted to be surrounded by monsters with.

From there I continued to play the Monk and I fell in love, now I have by far more fun with the Monk than any of the classes. The combination of fast movement and rapid attacks is just so much fun!
  18. Aginor

Aginor IncGamers Member

Because monks were awesome in Baldur's Gate 2. I'm winning the best reason competition.
  19. karimbbk

karimbbk IncGamers Member

I like monk cos in beta he was fun to play,and genrally i think will be a big asset to inferno mode,due to healing and great /dodge/dps.
  20. saint_of_killers

saint_of_killers Diablo: IncGamers Member

Kind of an accumulation of things to make the perfect storm for me to play Monk.
    - I like the flavor - Holy martial artist, in touch w/ Spirit, etc
    - it satisfies the 2 things I tend to lean towards most in online RPGs - healing and melee dmg
    - I don't know anyone else who's playing it, so I figure I'll be the Monk in the group!