Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why Are We Dying?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Empired, Dec 2, 2005. | Replies: 26 | Views: 1269

1. Empired

Empired IncGamers Member

Why Are We Dying?

So my dad and I play an untwinked Sorc-Paladin team in private games only. We recently got through Nightmare. The first time through, we had no trouble whatsoever in the worldstone, but the second we stepped through the waypoint for our second Baal run, we got slaughtered by Burning Souls (or whatever the similar monsters are in WS2). We must have died to Burning Souls seventeen times before finally giving up... not the same pack, either. Every BS we came across, minion or not, killed us.

Why? Why did we do fine the first time but die countless times against the same monsters less than ten minutes later???? Help please!
  2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

How are your light resists? Was there a Conviction enchanted boss pack somewhere nearby? Did an Oblivion Knight put the Lower Resist curse on you?
  3. k/t

k/t Banned

Maybe you didn't run into Souls the first time? And if you're naked it will usually only take one or two hits from one to kill you.
  4. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Souls are bugged to do physical damage with their lightning attacks, and it hurts you every frame instead of once or something like that.
  5. Empired

Empired IncGamers Member

Our light resists are horrible, but we did fine the first time through.

We died almost as fast with our armor and whatnot as naked.

We weren't cursed.

We did run into them the first time.

If the Souls were just super-hard, well, that would suck, but at least I'd understand the problem. What absolutely baffles me is the fact that they seemed at least ten times more difficult the second time through than they were the first. All other factors, as far as I can tell, were the same.
  6. k/t

k/t Banned

What's bugged so they do physical damage with their poison attack on every frame is the snakes on the way to Nihlathak. Souls just do a lot of damage.
  7. ByteMeHard

ByteMeHard IncGamers Member

Boost your lit defence and you should be find, but beware the Iron Maiden from other enemies down there too. The pally could be in danger there as well. If you have any hope of makin it anywhere in Hell you need resists a lot higher, so I'd work on boosting that ASAP.
  8. KaNdeeKiD

KaNdeeKiD IncGamers Member

If i remember correctly from my 3 years experience of Diablo 2. To over-come burning souls easy. Try get a lightning absorb item. That is the "KEY" to overcoming immunity to them. Tho they can still hit you with physical. You wont take any lightning damage, or much. Absorb items only really work fully if you have FULL resists to that element.

~KaNdeeKiD~
  9. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

I think you missed this keyword "untwinked"

Getting any absorb item by playing untwinked is sheer luck and a lot of patience running bosses etc :rolleyes:
  10. rykuss

rykuss Banned

Don't take it so hard, we've all died to those things at least a thousand times or two. :lol: The one instance you did well with them was probably luck, they got a bad roll maybe? Your going to need resistances if you plan on running the WSK. I think the bug with them is that physical damage get's added to their lightning attacks IIRC. I'm really not sure, but i'm certain that someone who is will be along shortly to better explain it. Congrats on getting there untwinked and good luck with it! :thumbsup:
  11. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Patience. The onlt thing which can save your asses against souls are lightning absorb gear (thundergods vigor is my personal favorite) so its time to buckle up and go magic finding for it! :D

Edit: Oh and of course you need very high resist! Atleast 75% better if higher... But I think thundergods vigor takes care of raising the limit to 85%?
  12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

AFAIK there are two types of them in the World Stone Keep): Gloams (at WSK level 2) and Souls (Throneroom level) - or the other way around. Both types are quite nasty, but one of them is a little nastier. I'm not 100% sure about it, however, as I currently don't do Baal runs.

As you probably noticed, the selection of monsters in nightmare act 5 is entirely different and far broader than in normal mode, so perhaps you encountered the one type first and the other type second. If you can't handle a particular selection of monsters, you can start a new game. Sooner or later, there will be a game with no gloams or souls. However, there are still oblivion knights, Stygian dolls, physical immune succubi, tomb vipers etc. etc. :)
  13. Empired

Empired IncGamers Member

Okay, thanks for the help guys. Where do you think we should mf for resist items? We can probably handle Mephisto pretty quickly. I imagine we'd get much better drops from Baal, if we could just make it there.
  14. rykuss

rykuss Banned

Andariel and mephisto are two good places to start with IMO. With enough runs you guys should net some pretty good gear that will carry you through to NM bhaal and hell as well. :thumbsup:
  15. Draco

Draco IncGamers Member

any CE beasts walking around? conviction enchanted? super unqie soul(s)? champion souls..?
  16. McCain123

McCain123 IncGamers Member

First of all, neither souls nor gloams are bugged. However they both do quite some amount of lightning damage, so they will hurt you, if your resistance to lightning is not maxed. Since you are playing untwinked, you won´t be able to trade for a Thundergods Vigor, which is a pity, as it reduces the pain in a huge way. Since one of you plays a pala, dropping a point in Salvation could fix this problem, as it will give you at least an additional 60% to resist against fire, cold and lightning ( more if you have +skill items ).

Where to mf? Hmmm, Mephisto is alway good, even the nm version and although nm Andarial doesn´t drop good, she has the highest chance of dropping a Stone of Jordan, so if you are very patient, you might get rewarded.
  17. Draco

Draco IncGamers Member

thats the one i forgot, their light dmg is way more then it supposed to be.
  18. McCain123

McCain123 IncGamers Member

Their light damage might be high, but it is quite easy to handle it with low budget gear. I have posted a small guide for a tanking sorc in the sorc forum, that even got healed by the lightning of souls in Hell WSK.

High lightning res, lightning absorb and magic damage reduction is the key to this.
    Thundergods and Skin of the Vipermagi are easy to get and do the biggest part of this.
  19. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Gloams/souls are very vulnerable to fire (and probably cold as well), so if a sorc has a little frw, keeps moving back and forth and throws fireballs into gloam packs while drinking healing potions, they can be killed. Gloams/souls have a lot of physical reduction, so it takes a long time to kill them in melee. It's still a good idea to attack them in melee if you have a character who can stand the lightning attacks (max lightning res + T-God's will do the job), to draw ther attention away from the sorc, so she can cast spells on them in safety. The melee character can probably leech back enough mana in spite of their physical resistance, especially if it's a paladin using zeal. Of course, the sorc is not on a line with the melee character and any gloam/soul, else the lightning bolts meant for the melee character will hit the sorc as well.

Just be careful with conviction enchanted boss packs (green aura). That aura lowers you resistances, meaning insta-kill if you get hit by too many bolts at a time, no matter what your resists are.
  20. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Paladin + sorc team is unlucky it that is has hardly any crowd control, an assa (MB, CoS), barb (warcry, taunt), FAzon, shockwave, necro confuse or blind curses, minions... All a pala has is the rubbish conversion.

Having said that, the pala should be able to tank them with lvl 2-3 conviction and they should die very quickly to FO, FB, or blizzard...