Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whirlwind Barbarian impossible to build?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by tysongriffin, May 15, 2012. | Replies: 26 | Views: 32864

1. tysongriffin

tysongriffin IncGamers Member

Someone I know told me that in diablo 3, its impossible to build a "Whirlwind barbarian".
    What he meant was, WW cannot be your MAIN skill, because it requires 16 fury, which you will need to generate with other skills.

Back in diablo 2, mana leech let you be a whirlwind barbarian, and WW around whenever you were in combat. But there is no fury leech obviously (never was), BUT there are no fury regen items anymore? (latest datamined info)

He said you have to use some skill like bash to generate fury, then use whirlwind for a limited time, before having to use bash/fury generating skills again.

I thought back in like 2010 you could make a WW barbarian by manipulating items (fury regeneration), passives (fury decay and fury regen increase - this one still exists though), and some skills.

But now this is impossible to do? At best you can whirlwind a few times, but will be forced to use other skills just to use whirlwind.

Were fury renegerating items removed?
    Can someoen share some information and if someone was going to make a whirlwind barbarian can they link me their build please?

Thanks
  2. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

Well, they wanted D3 to be a lot more about using a group of skills that work well together, than about spamming your favorite. I still think you'll use enough to feel like a WW barb. It's not that your forced to use other skills, it's just that combat has become a lot more dynamics this time around. For one, if you just WW all the time, you'll probably die a lot sooner, since defensive abilities are very useful and can save your life.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhXdkT!YWh!ZYaZZY

With this build, you could probably WW quite often. Tons of fury generation, basically. =/

How effective it is in actual practice is anyone's guess.
  3. tysongriffin

tysongriffin IncGamers Member

Thanks for the information bro, now I know what I have to do.
  4. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

Moved from D3 General.
  5. Shevek

Shevek IncGamers Member

6. AlexanderBarin

AlexanderBarin Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

I WW almost non stop at lvl 24. Stomp/revenge generate instant rage, and I will add war shout at 28. I do cleave once in awhile, but very rarely.
  7. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

^ Yep just grab as many big fury generators as possible. BTW get Weapon master and use Mighty Weapons <- +3 Fury per hit means as long as you do 6 hits per whirlwind you can spam it non stop with out using anything else (in theory anyway).
  8. Sooru

Sooru IncGamers Member

Yeah fulltime blender mode in big groups with revenge/vengeance is mine is really really really awesome.
  9. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Btw, revenge/vengeance is mine is insanely cool. I got whirlwind (before the emergency manutention realm down thing), but I don't even bother to use it... I'm rather gather the foes around me, stun them, use revenge/earthquake and keep my fury full to use the passive skill bonus. If the build proves worthy at least at end normal I'll maybe post it somewhere...
  10. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

Try leap, ground stomp, revenge and ww. They work absolutely well together.
  11. Ilandalar

Ilandalar IncGamers Member

The rune I have setup for fury generation is the Cleave one and I can WW way more than enough. You do not have to go overboard with other skills/runes (and since I'm getting my head ripped off in A2 nightmare you probably shouldn't do that anyway). I can actually take the rune off and still be able to use WW a ton more than I would use Cleave.
  12. StormLord

StormLord IncGamers Member

I don't feel WW in this game at all especially since there are skills dealing much more dmg in shorter period of time. Also D3 finally made it possible to play without the WW as the main build.
  13. Sigh

Sigh Wizard Moderator

Leap, Ground Stomp, Cleave with Reaping Swing rune generates a TON of fury and allows me to Whirlwind almost constantly, while still allowing a little bit of versatility in my skill usage so as not to be completely boring.

That was in Normal though - Now that I'm in Nightmare I'm using Frenzy (Sidearm) and Rend (Blood Lust) and my killing speed/survivability has increased greatly.
  14. ElementEight

WW really sucks right now. It's channel, deals mediocre damage, (no burst, obv), the runes are mediocre in utility and you can just use it for 5 seconds or so.
  15. Sigh

Sigh Wizard Moderator

I went back to WW after getting a much much better weapon, and I was tearing mobs up like nothing. But then I went up against a champion pack and yeah...Frenzy it is.
  16. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I'm lvl29 and got Whirlwind on RMB with Cleave on LMB.
    I open fights with Furious charge on 1, then I'll throw in cleave once or twice and off I go to Whirlwind.
    I find whilrwind with the constantly triggering Revenge really powerful.
  17. Ilandalar

Ilandalar IncGamers Member

I'm currently wearing a 300ish dps weapon/shield combination and WW is the only skill I would go for at the moment. Fury generation is still not an issue (Reaping/Wind Shear) and it is one of the most versatile/damaging skills the barbarian has (by comparison). Hammer of the ancients is a great skill damage-wise but very very clunky to use against groups, especially hard hitters. Rend is difficult to measure in efficiency so I can't comment too much on it though I have used it on difficult packs while kiting them. Ground slam is semi-decent as a skill but the 30 fury cost makes it hardly worth using (probably with the 15 fury cost rune I might consider it).

But the great thing about WW is that it can be paired up with some defensive abilities to give you enough time to stay in the pack and whirl at them until they drop dead. I personally use 7sec Ignore Pain and Ground Stomp (15 seconds of invulnerability basically) and I can easily dispatch of non-boss groups in that time. Also if the group is somehow tougher and outlives your 15 seconds of invulnerability health globes should have dropped by now and you should have no issues whirling to them. If things go bad WW can also be used to get out of the pack and start over when thing go off cooldown.

Anyway the great damage of WW comes from constant use (currently 4300 dps/target for me), something that other skills do not allow.

As a bonus it also makes slow weapons seem fast.
  18. edistotiger

edistotiger IncGamers Member

WW was fun for awhile on normal, but it becomes more and more suicidal the further you progress in the game. You just can't sit there whirling through elites and champions and expect to live on the higher difficulties.
  19. ElementEight

That'd be my biggest complaint. Blood Funnel tried healing you, but is mediocre at doing so. I don't get why it's crit based.

Since you go through monsters, you'll take an instant attack from all of them, instead of staying at one spot and taking attacks from those within melee range with a cooldown. This really decreases your survivability. If you want a spender. HotA + Smash is your best bet. Use wrenching smash (ground stomp rune) to gather monsters up, and you'll hit many of them very very hard.

20. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

i tried WW with mighty weaon mastery and superstition. No matter what you run out of rage after 4 mobs its ridiculous.
    Switched back to aoe hammer of ancients.
    Wellmaybe with wind sheer at lvl 44 its worth a try but i dont see how 4 fury leech (mastery+windsheer) will make a differnce to 3 fury leech.