Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which merc for a poor man's singer/passion? Does Might help Berserk?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by jonaskoelker, Mar 15, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 1322

1. jonaskoelker

jonaskoelker IncGamers Member

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice about my War Cry (singer) barbarian.

I play single player and I'm dirt poor. The only "trades" I do are between my characters, using ATMA. I treasure the *one* Sigon's Guard I have ;-)

I'm planning to spend my 110 skill points as follows: 20 in BO, WC and WC synergies; 1 point in Battle Command, Find Item, Increased Speed, Natural Resistance and Leap Attack plus their prerequisites. (See http://www.diablofans.com/page/tool...k11kk0k100000011110100010000lti1l0l0l0l0lal00.)

I want to solo hell with my barbarian, which means I have to deal with physical immunity. I'm slowly cubing my way up to a Lem rune, planning to make a Passion runeword which gives me +1 to Berserk, allowing me to whack at the physical immunes.

My question is: which mercenary? My two strongest contenders are Mr. Freeze and Mr. Might.

The Holy Freeze aura would slow down those monsters which War Cry can't stun (most notably bosses), and would deal 125-130 cold damage at aura level 16 (his max, at hireling level 75). This would make it possible for him to help a little bit with the physical immunes, and I would feel safer spamming Berserk without interspersing War Cry, upping my kill speed. (By the way, since War Cry is a physical attack, does the stun effect work on physical immunes? If not, that make Mr. Freeze better since he can freeze those itchy act 2 bug swarms)

His competition is Mr. Might. His aura level increases by one for every four hireling levels, topping at aura level 20 and hireling level 95, for a +230% damage. At level 75, his aura is at level 15, for +180%. By my calculation, if my weapon does 47-47 damage, at +180% (= times 2.8) that is increased to 131, more than the cold damage done by Holy Freeze. Even in Normal I've seen hammers which deal at least 47 on average (IIRC), so I think that slants things in favor of Mr. Might. Plus, it'll be me and not him dealing the extra 131 damage, and I'm probably better at target selection plus I think I'll attack faster.

So the big question is: does Might increase the damage done by Berserk? If so, how does the damage calculation work?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

I suggest prayer merc with insight polearm. He will replenish life and mana.
  3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I am also a big fan of insight + prayer Merc. I think might works with berserk though, so that would be my second choice.

A few other things: don't use leap attack, there's no reason to attack with what I assume will be something like a spirit sword. Just use leap.

Use taunt on stuff to get it all in your radius, works great on casters and unravelers.

Use battle cry on anything you're going to hit with berserk, it solves any AR issues.

Warcry can stun every monster in the game except the act bosses. It has lowered chance to stun against uniques and champions, but you can still usually keep them stunned.

Good luck and have fun, singer is my favorite build :)
  4. jonaskoelker

jonaskoelker IncGamers Member

With all the +Skills gear I'll be wearing and all the Find Potion I'll be casting, I think I'll have a belt full of full rejuvs all the time. I don't think insight+prayer is that important, to be honest. Also, I hear that ladder-only runewords aren't available in Single Player unless you tweak/cheat. Can you confirm this? Admitted, I haven't tried that setup, so I don't know how über it is, but for my warrior characters I *love* having mana leech enough to cover my costs, so maybe there's something to it.

My understanding is that the range of leap attack, unlike leap, is only limited by your ability to click on the target, i.e. you can leap one screenful. With enough +skills, maybe Leap will do fine, but I think the skill point isn't exactly wasted. What would you spend it on instead of leap attack?

They're a blast! :D I haven't played any hardcore, but of all the SC builds I've tried, I'm guessing this is one of the most viable: it has loads of hit points, good resistance, it stuns almost all enemies, and it has Howl + Leap + Increased Speed (the jetpack trifecta) to get out of most dicy situations. Maybe one would want Mr. Freeze as a HC merc and then use Howl plus Leap to get around physical immunes? The maggot lair will be tricky if it's full of itchies, but hey, challenge is fun ;)
  5. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I hate using potions, otherwise you are probably right on the potions. They are not naturally available in SP, no. The community here allows them to be used by using RWM though, so it's up to you if you want to use it or not. (Found here)

I think that is correct, yes. I've always found my +skills to be adequate for any distance I want to leap though. The biggest downside to leap attack is that you have to do an attack animation after you land, which will likely be slow and not do much damage or miss. If you are leaping into something nasty you don't want to have to wait for that attack animation to finish before you can stun them. Leap attack also cost more mana.

You will never run out of places to put point for this build. Take the 1 pointers like leap,iron skin, natural resistances, stamina/speed, BC, Find item/potion, then max BO and Warcry. Then by the time you get all the Warcry synergies maxed you would be lvl 98 :p

You might also want to put more than 1 point in Find item, but that depends on personal preference/gear

Yes, they really do have amazing survivabilty. The easiest thing that can kill you is the stun bug. I don't know if you're aware of it or not but if you have a unique monster with lightning enchanted stunned and hit it again with any damage it will release its death explosion for every hit. This usually isn't a big deal until it's coupled with fire or cold enchanted though. So just watch out for LE/FE or LE/CE monsters.