Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Which is the best MMO?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by pryidev, Aug 5, 2013. | Replies: 11 | Views: 880

1. pryidev

pryidev IncGamers Member

Hey all buddies,
    I need to know what the best MMO out there is, i need something to spend hours playing. I already played a WOW and Diablo just 3 not 1 and 2 but now I think move to something better. Need your help for this Guy.

Thanks.
  2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Play Diablo 1
  3. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Try this one. Don't even need a subscription and you can get it on Steam if you want.

The Secret World

Most of everything else is WoW clones. The Elder Scrolls Online is supposed to come out soon[SUP]tm[/SUP] as well, which might be somewhat WoWish, but I've enjoyed the Elder Scrolls games so far, so I'm optimistic.
  4. pryidev

pryidev IncGamers Member

Thanks Glurin...
    I think it is good as there website speaks a lot to me and interested to play but still looking for other options.
  5. skullvomit

skullvomit IncGamers Member

I found Tera's combat to be a breeze of change to other MMOs.
  6. Pixie

Pixie IncGamers Member

Tera's endgame is pretty crap though. It's total RNG gating. P2P it was okay (although still gated); good goldsinks, balanced in/out rate. But post-f2p, they really screwed with the balance. Even with all the new raids & whatever they're introducing, the way they're doing it just forces even more gear disparity issues & the old instances become utterly useless. They're replacing content with more powerful gear, but not adding any value, because the new content invalidates any point to running the old. That said, it's cute as ****, Elin2pure2stronk, and the combat was amazing as noted.

Aion's 4.0 hit recently, although it's more of the same old. Went downhill since 1.9, not really any semblance of difficulty or purpose to the grind. Suffers from the same endgame issues as Tera, although PVP is slightly more meaningful with the Abyss system.. until you get banned for pvping in a pvp zone. Huzzah.

FF14 a Realm Reborn is upcoming, I think CBT4 is starting (or has started), game launching soon. I don't like how unoptimized it is, and 2.5s global cooldown, but it's not bad. A far sight better than its predecessor. There's too much over complication of simple tasks for my liking (akin to FF11 heh), and it doesn't handle multiple people onscreen very well (even with the player limiting function).

Ragnarok Online 2 totally bombed imo. Nothing like RO1 apart from the name, porings, and baphomet. GMs don't do anything about botters, hacks, etc. Terrible KR game, even as terrible KR games go - and I've played pretty much all of them since 2005. Just take my word for it on this one, avoid.

Neverwinter Online (under PWI) was not bad. I disliked the combat, felt too similar to GW2 and bland, but the Foundry system was cool. Too bad it's PWI with 12 different currencies, some which expire, and has the standard p2w cash grab format.

Secret World was pretty bland as well. The combat's just terrible, although you might get a terror rush similar to DayZ. All those zombies.

If you liked Diabro-style grim arpg combat, there's Path of Exile. GrindingGearGames has my maximum respect. True spiritual successor to D2, and insane amounts of builds, customization, and a cash shop that isn't game-breaking. No players 8 equivalent, so it's a little tough to keep up if you're a soloer, but all in all it's pretty solid game.

Games to keep an eye on
    : Everquest: Next; destructible landscape, yadayada evercrack.

CubeWorld, also voxel based, unlimited levels, unlimited (via random generation) mapscapes, rpg with classes. Capability to host your own private servers; similar to Minecraft in more than one aspect. It's in limited alpha atm. Not really on the same scale of awesome as the others, but hey.

Blade & Soul KR game, NCsoft, sometime in early 2014. No more RNG enchanting awww yeah. I've been waiting warmly for this one. Steparu's channel is really good for english b&s resources. 1 more just 'cause

Wildstar Online The game NCsoft prioritized ahead of B&S, launching in December of this year. Ultra-ultra ambitious in terms of launch features. More cartoony, sort of similar to Jak + Daxter.

Other titles I'm too lazy to/can't get vids for: Bless, ArcheAge, Lineage 3, Phantasy Star Online 2, ElderScrolls online, Project Titan (Blizz's new venture).

PSO2, I played the jp obt, was decent. Really focused on central lobby / instances, I didn't like how disconnected the gameplay felt because of that, but it's a decent successor to PSO1, unlike RO2. More of an action game with various objectives than mmorpg focused on balancing cooldowns.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. skullvomit

Good to know that about Tera, only lvl20 Lancer so far. A friend did mention something along those lines about end game but I took it as launch related problem. Seems they only steepened it. But Evercrack seems great from what I watched, the class system being the most interesting. I sure hope they take other combat route instead of 1-2-3-1-4 -smash.

edit: Pixie, any exp on Rift endgame? I started on PvP server and occasional instadeaths if I drift away from group hinder the lvl up. I'm just wondering if there's "point" to max lvl or is it like in Aion where I'd be so far behind on equipments that it'd take another forever to get them sorted out..
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  8. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Vanilla WoW, Maple Story and Runescape from around '05-'06 or so are the ones I have best memories of.

It is hard to get proper opinions about most MMORPGs, they tend to be very exclusive in so that if you get sucked into the endgame, you barely have any time to play anything else and most people only play a single MMORPG at a time. "To know the game, you must love it."
  9. Pixie

Pixie IncGamers Member

I didn't get into Rift, I'd tried it, but I really disliked it so I didn't make it very far. Afaik it's raid-focused at endgame, with different tiers of pvp gear. Can't really answer beyond that.

For Tera, well, I can write volumes on why / where it specifically failed, but the current state of the game is rather disappointing. They're bringing in the Alliance patch soon (pvp factions) and a lot of players were rejoining the game to try that, but it doesn't address the core issues at all.
  10. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

I enjoyed the gameplay of RIFT. However, the game felt extremely hollow. There's a basic summary as to why the two sides are fighting and what general characteristics each race supposedly has, but you won't find any character or plot depth whatsoever. It's like an MMO game of checkers. If you enjoy checkers it's fine, but don't expect anything more from it.
  11. skullvomit

I enjoy the hack n slash of Rift. I made a rogue honoring Attack on Titan's Mikasa. And I enjoy flying from one rift spawn to another screaming bring it on. But it is hollow. I kill things to advance on build chart, which is other nice feature beside combat. As long as max lvl playing is the same, or better with pvp, I'm good. Guess I must start to play again to find out.
  12. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

MMO type Ever-quest was great while it lasted (Biggest rise and fall) and WOW Has Lasted forever as has Diablo.
    Shooters just don't grab me but have had big impact as well.