Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Where to put skill points

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Ponter, Feb 21, 2012. | Replies: 11 | Views: 7805

1. Ponter

Ponter IncGamers Member

Where to put skill points

So i'm new to the Fishymancer type character and i followed the guide on here more or less exactly.

I currently have:

20 Raise Skeleton
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    20 Corpse Explosion

1 Raise Mage
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Blood Golem
    1 Iron Golem
    1 Fire Golem
    1 Revive
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist
    1 Amplify Damage
    1 Dim Vison
    1 Attract
    1 Decrepify

My question is, i have 15 spare skill points now and not sure where to put them. The guide makes suggestions but doesn't say anything definitive. I mostly just MF/zone clear and have +12 skills from equipment, as well as Infinity on my merc and Enigma. Should i just put it all in Revive so i can revive 25+ mobs? Raise Mage for more skeleton mages? Golem Mastery? Bone Wall/Prison for more survivability? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

On a side note, is Fire Golem best for trash and Clay Golem for bosses?

2. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Re: Where to put skill points

Fire golem is worthless, I wouldn't even put points in it. Consider using an insight iron golem. That way you can teleport without worrying about mana, spam CE, etc.

As for the rest of your skill points, revive can be good if you want to be able to telebomb stuff. Otherwise I like amp just so I can amp a whole screen (and then some) at once without having to cast it more than once. Golem mastery to improve the IG's survivability can be good too.

I generally advise against revive for people with lower gear levels, but once you have enigma it can work quite well. Still, if you're not running ubers, I'm not sure it is at all necessary to max it.

3. Ponter

Ponter IncGamers Member

Don't you lose the item that you use to create iron golem?

4. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

*Edit: ^Yes. But Insight is pretty cheap and with that level of gear and teleport your/his survivability shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I like dumping the rest in Bone Armor synergies as it gives you a bit of a buffer when you telebomb stuff, but that won't be of much use if you max Golem Mastery as well. Other than that you could spend more in Amp/DV, though I've never found that necessary.

5. Ponter

Ponter IncGamers Member

Ok, thanks for the info. So Skeletal Mages are useless even with Infinity?

6. magicrectangle

Compared to skeletons and revives, yeah, mages are pretty bad. If you want to be a full-on zoomancer just for giggles go for it, but the mages don't really do much for you.

7. KaytieKat

KaytieKat IncGamers Member

Hi

I tend to go with bone armor synergies myself. Another safety option could be pumping dim vision to increase its range so one cast will blind everything in a wider area and just sit there until you decide to kill em or just move on by to where you want to get to.

As for golems. I prefer Sparky in general and only use Lumpy for bosses. Thats both for practical and esthetic reasons. Practical in that Sparky's aura does make him a monster magnet which can help keep the heat away from necro. But also cause Sparky is cute :) And I dont have to run round a whole game with Lumpy mooning me--that guy *really* needs some pants or a robe or boxers or *something*

I use Rusty sometimes just for giggles but rarely since it means you cant recast him to reposition him better like you could with other golems and (this may just be me tho) for some reason if Rusty wanders off he will just poof on his own which can be annoying.

I've never used Icky but now that him getting hurt no longer hurts you any more I may need to try him one day.

Kaytie

8. HuggaBear

HuggaBear IncGamers Member

If you have the +skills mages only need 1 point, you basically want a poison mage and maybe a cold for the slow (eh, some people get annoyed at loss of corpses, me included). The fire/light can be okay on damage but nothing wondrous and pathetic compared to others.
    I use bone armour synergies at that point, put some more points in curses (1 in each maybe) and then just pump bone wall.

+skillers should mean you need only 1 point in each curse for efficacy, no need for more than that.
    Oh and ditch fire golem. IG if you have the wealth to use an insight golem, clay golem if not. Prefer IG from an insight though, far superior (then infinity for the mercy werc)

9. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Site Pal

I don't agree that mages are useless at all. Mages or dim vision.

10. magicrectangle

Dim vision is great when you're lower on the gear curve. When you're higher on the gear curve you're not really at risk of dying, so dim vision doesn't really have as much use.

Mages are pretty bad at any gear level though. You can use them to kill unbreakable physical immunes if you want, but it takes ages.

11. theonemephisto

theonemephisto IncGamers Member

Go with an insight iron golem. Dump points in either golem mastery (so you almost never have to revive him) or bone armor synergies. Though I think bone armor is extremely unnecessary on a fishy. Revives and mages are unnecessary to put extra points in, though it can be fun.

12. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Site Pal

I completely disagree with your assessment of dim vision.

You will never need to revive your clay golem when you're done with the build with just 1 point in it.

Mages are far more useful than people apparently understand.

There is no golem that should ever be used but a clay golem as a summoner unless you are just having fun with a toy.

I'm really just kind of amazed at some of the suggestions here. I highly suggest you visit the necro guide thread for actual builds that work for all situations.