Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Where is the character screen and total damage listing? if

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by WrathS, Mar 25, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 1426

1. WrathS

WrathS IncGamers Member

Where is the character screen and total damage listing?

Hey guys, I recently won a beta key from d3sanctuary's twitter contest (a clusterfrack of an affair, but I got it so whatever), and can't seem to find the hotkey for the character screen?

It looks like inventory has been merged with the character screen, and if so... I'm not a huge fan. It's convenient, but then you lose a lot of at-a-glance information that could fill up a character screen - specifically, damage output of all actives skills. Nothing specific about skill damage is listed in the inventory window, just an ambiguous "damage" stat.

What the hell? Even D2/X had two damage readouts of skills (even if it was buggy). Seems frustrating that I can't figure out exactly how much damage my skills are doing. On the plus side, a nice Plug-Y style huge set of magic effects you have is listed. GJ blizz, you learned to copy fan mods (shared stash, enhanced char screen, bigger inventory, etc etc etc, I'm just being bitter)

Also, the DPS listing on weapons is nice (and the use of weapons and attack rate to factor into casting is cool, I like to think of it like channeling a power via the weapon, it's the only way it makes sense) but does the game factor in elemental/etc extra damage from the weapon to your spell? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4217174496 says that *some* skills add this damage in. So if I find a 12 dps sword vs a 10 dps dagger (with +5 ice damage), I can't tell straight away what is better, because the skills don't tell me
    a) how much damage they do
    b) if they take extra elemental damage into the equation (and they wouldn't need to tell me this if the just did item a) above

Anyone know if blizz intends on adding in-depth damage readouts for every skill so I can actually make smart choices about equipment without looking up spreadsheets to find weather my magic skills factor in weapon enhancements??

Side note, I think the game is a massive improvement to D2. I'm nitpicking. The depth to combat is present because of the extra skills and freespecs you can get, not limited. I could go on and on about how great the system works, how cooldowns are a great way to keep you from minmaxing all the time, but I digress. It's gonna be great. I almost died numerous times and the game is seriously challenging (at least at patch 15).
  2. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Re: Where is the character screen and total damage listing?

Yup. You got it right -- there's no character screen. You'll find several threads agreeing with you on the beta feedback forums :) You might want to post in one of those. More likely to get Blizz attention than here, anyway.

There IS mouseover info on skill damage if you turn on advanced tooltips, though. Whether it's in-depth enough for you I don't know :)
  3. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

With the exception of Elemental Resistances, everything that was on the old character sheet is still on the reduced one, plus there is a detailed pop-out sheet that lists the values of every, and I men every, stat you can have on your character. And you can now see how your new gear effects your primary stats, Armor, and DPS instantly when you equip new items. Both are a vast improvement over the previous game I'd say.

And yes, +Elemental Damage is factored into both your DPS and your skill damage, but it will be converted to whatever element the skill on question deals damage in.
  4. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Yes, always. However, if a skill's tooltip states, that it deals its damage as a fixed type (even Physical), then the elemental damage on your gear will be converted to the stated damage type.

Not exactly. It doesn't list resource gain on crit type affixes. Some other things could be missing from it also, I haven't checked everything.

5. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

HardRock: Fair point, but isn't the Wizard the only one with a resource on crit mod? Some things that apply only to the weapon they are on like +elemental damage, and procs like Blind and Fear don't show up either (though life steal, and some other class stuff do). It's still a more detailed sheet than D2.
  6. HardRock

The Barb also has such an affix, although not in the beta. They could easily show class specific mods in the detailed list.

Elemental damage applies to everything (not the type though), so it's accounted for in the DPS total of your character.

I'm not sure about this, but I think Blind, Fear and other procs on weapons also work with every skill, so they could also show them. I had a weapon with Fear once in the beta and I could swear that it worked with my WD's Poison Dart.

Despite the omissions, I agree that D3's character sheet is very detailed as is.
  7. WrathS

WrathS IncGamers Member

Where did you learn this? It's not obvious or intuitive. Is it in a faq somewhere?
  8. HardRock

I know about the Barb mod, because the list of affixes were datamined some time ago and kept up to date as the beta patches came along. Currently the database here in Incgamers doesn't list them and I can't provide links to other sites, due to forum policy.

What I wrote about elemental damage is easy to verify in-game.

Like I said, I could be wrong about the weapon procs working with ranged skills as well, but that's how I remember it. Since they have such a low chance to trigger (around 5% with endgame level affixes) I don't think that would cause balance problems.