Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

When does the treasure start getting better?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by jatna, Apr 30, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 2096

1. jatna

jatna IncGamers Member

My friend and I are at the end of Act 2 Hell. The drops still suck. Does it get better soon? Or do you have to run a boss a trillion times before something good drops?

How do all these people have such great gear that they talk about in guides? I haven't seen anything like what they are talking about drop.

And as far as runes, how in the world do people get the high level runes needed for good runeword equipment? As far as I can tell, Hell Countess blows.
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

First of all, the Countess max drop is Lo iirc. But the chance of that happening is neglectible.
    I have however got Ist or even Gul from her a few times.

Hr's isnt worth farming for unless you can do it in a full game, imo. Or if you do mfing at the same time ofc.

What classes are you using? How fast can you kill? How much magic find do you have, both of you?

From Nightmare Baal and beyond, there are tons of easily found uniques and even runes for runewords, that are very, very powerful.
    Id imagine Id be looking for the monarchs with 0/4 sockets, where you are at now.
    And then roll a spirit runeword in it. Ofc, this is favored especially amongst Sorceresses.

Id also stack on mf, because the first 200mf makes a huge difference. The mf beyond that makes less and less difference. Since mf stacking has diminishing returns.

And a last note of worth.
    Most guides are hard to get all items for. Unless you trade. Thats how you get the items you need, and sell the items you dont need atm!!

Peace and love, fellow d2 lovers.
  3. jatna

jatna IncGamers Member

We can't afford to put on a lot of magic find in Hell because we need resist gear to survive.
  4. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

Resists can be brutal in Hell. Try supplementing some of the % from charms. Also if you know the target you are running you can stack-up more on that certain resist than the others. You and your friend might want to go back and farm Nightmare Mephisto and/or Nightmare Baal to get some good equipment. Also to level up some. Have you gotten all your quest rewards? Namely the free skill points, free respecs and the resist scrolls from Anya. These will go a good way to help. The ones from normal and nightmare alone give you +20% resist all.

For some good info on the items, skills and runewords check out the Arreat Summit
    As for good runewords I can think of: Rhyme bone shield or the good old Ancient's Pledge shield.

Also to reiterate what Archone said, which classes are you playing as and what level are you?
  5. jatna

jatna IncGamers Member

I am playing a level 83 Sorc and he is playing a level 81 Barbarian. We have killed NM Baal a few times but nothing good has dropped. We figured NM isn't even worth it.

I am just wondering if the treasure starts to get better after act 2 Hell.

I have been running the Hell Maggot Lair. It is supposed to be a high level area. Still, nothing good has dropped.

So if I ran these places with 200+ MF are you saying that there would be tons of good drops?
  6. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

The problem with good drops is 'good' is a relative term. You might find a necromancer head that is the highest unique, and that may not be a good drop in your case unless you decide you will later create a necromancer.

Certain monsters are meant to drop items of a better quality than others. Namely unqiues and Act Bosses. The reason I suggested Mephisto and Baal in nightmare is because you said you were having a difficult time in Hell. Going back and 'farming' these bosses with even no MF on them will result in drops that are set and unique more often than if you were to go somewhere else. With MF your chances of getting a set or unique will increase, but it is not a guarantee that you will get them. In this game most gear is found from farming, either an Act Boss/Super Unique or an area. The Act Boss/Super Unique will give you uniques and sets faster, but not always the highest one in their class. The area will give you the highest in their class base item, but the item will not be a set or unique as often as an Act Boss/Super Unique.

If you have not already drop by the class forums and ask where to look for the items that are listed in the guides that are provided. I hope that this makes sense and hope Archone will respond and correct me if I am wrong. This game can be fun and I hope you enjoy it and not get bogged down by the thought of having to do some farming.
  7. royalairfarce

royalairfarce IncGamers Member

Btw, are u playing single player or BNet (EU, US)?
    D2 is just a game of chances, good items are rare, great items are very rare (in my last ladder with perhaps +100h of play I didn't find any great items). U just have to kill tons of monsters, more MF helps with finding more Uniques/Sets in the long run. MF isn't a holy grail, u better of with 0% if u kill twice as fast that way.

Like previous posters already suggested, get some decent gear from Mephisto Nightmare(That could be 20 runs if your lucky or +50, +75 if your unlucky) -->Gear should be good enough to be able to run Meph Hell without dying every other run. I wouldn't recommend Baal, can't believe the basterd ever gave me a nice item.
    After that u run Mephisto Hell to get u some good gear, perhaps a few very good items. And that doesn't mean 10 runs but few hundred runs.

If u want great gear u have to work hard and long for it, get extremely lucky, or cheat and get banned if anyone here finds out.
  8. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Killing Baal is great, if you need the experience aswell. It takes to long for pure mf purposes.

It took me 2 months to fully gear my mf-sorc with mf charms, as an example.
    Dont expect to see many rares, and even less sets/unique drops from bosses. If you dont have any mf at all.

My tip for your character setup, would be to gear the Barbarian for dmg and the Sorceress for mf. Get the boss down to a 90-95% health, and then make the killing blow with your mf-sorc.
    The mf is not shared among the party. Only the killers mf will affect the droprate of items.

This method is only effective vs bosses. If you run areas, and you both kill about 50% of the monsters, having mf on both chars is the best way.

A few skill hints, for sorc and barbarian are these:

For sorc,
    1. Use static field.
    -Even 1 point in it is enough.
    2. Dont bother with non-damaging skills, like Energy shield. Because your mate, the barbarian, will be able to tank almost all dmg vs bosses.

For Barbarian,
    1. Max out the skill Battle Orders.
    - Will be the single most important skill in your team setup.
    2. Shout.
    - Use this skill just as often as Battle Orders. Awesome for your mercenaries and will further increase survivability.
    3. Using axes? Or maybe swords? Max 1 of the weapon masteries.
    - Will solve the Attack Rating problems the barbarian has. And will increase the ar from items if you use the corresponding weapons.

Hope that helps!

Peace and love
  9. Xuhao

Xuhao IncGamers Member

- well, to get the good gear and high runes without cheating you need to grind a hell-of-a-lot. Some people rush chars to hell hellforge to get the runes. They do it very fast and repeatedly (boooring imo..), cupe the runes and after some hundred rushes they get a ber or a jah rune..

In your case, if you need equipment or currency to buy equipment, I suggest that you gather and trade materials used by crafters such as perfect gems, perfect skulls, runes for runewords that gets re-rolled a lot, (like spirit), crap jewels etc etc.

Try selling packs of 20 or so. This should help get your economy started.
  10. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

If you play on bnet there is..
  11. jatna

jatna IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice.