Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What's the point of Spirit Barrage?

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by yovargas, May 30, 2012. | Replies: 36 | Views: 14576

1. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I feel like I'm missing something with this skill. Dart-Splinters can do 180 dmg for 10 mana while Spirit Barrage does 190 dmg for 108 mana. Okay, so it can target in the back, that's nice I suppose (though surely not worth 10 times the cost) but so can Haunt which, runed, can do 288 dmg for 98 mana and can jump to multiple enemies. It just seems so much less efficient than either of these as a single-target skill. Even with the +mana rune it doesn't seem worth it over Dart or Haunt. (Haven't gotten to the other runes yet but they all sound lame.) Am I missing something?
  2. WD pimpin summons

WD pimpin summons IncGamers Member

I don't understand it either.
  3. zUkUu

zUkUu IncGamers Member

could be decent if the cost would be cut in half.

it goes over walls and barricades, but that's about its only plus point apart from the 10% more damage.
  4. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Personally I think it's retarded.
  5. yovargas

I also hate that it's called Spirit Barrage but is most definitely NOT a barrage! :p
  6. Karmic

Karmic IncGamers Member

I use Spirit Barrage as my main left click attack. It does a lot of damage, casts quickly, and hits more reliably than any other skill.

With mana regen gear, blood ritual, rush of essence, and the mana refund rune, Spirit Barrage actually gives me mana back when I cast it. I think it's a good skill...you just need a proper build for it.
  7. Phillter

Phillter Member

Those are two very valuable skill slots, mind if I ask what build you are using? I'm looking for anything I can use that isn't Zombie Bears in Inferno and still being viable...

8. Thrakhath

Thrakhath IncGamers Member

Splinters does 180 damage RUNED while Spirit Barrage does 190 damage unruned. Your comparison is unfair.

Spirit Barrage hits enemies anywhere, cannot miss, and can go through walls.

With one rune, it is almost halved in cost. If you happen to have Rush of Essence, this becones cheap enough to spam for a very long time.

With another, it becomes one of only two spells the WD has that gives a % of damage dealt as life.

With another, it deals 280% damage total, and becomes an awesome barrel breaker.

Phantasm and Manitou are so different that they are not even the same skill...
  9. yovargas

But doesn't Haunt do this better?

It can do 280% total but runed Haunt does 288% guaranteed plus can hit multiple enemies.

10. Karmic

Karmic IncGamers Member

Haunt only gives a set amount of life, which means it doesn't scale with damage. Also, Haunt does 280% weapon damage over 2 seconds, and doesn't stack with itself. Spirit barrage can hit for that much every single cast...you can cast it a lot more than just once every 2 seconds.
  11. sOFrOsTy

sOFrOsTy IncGamers Member

I think spirit barrage with the rune thta makes it shoot 3 additional targets from the 1 cast is actually pretty good. It cost a lot in mana, but it depends on your passives.
  12. Phillter

Phillter Member

I really haven't found that rune useful. You have to be standing very close to the enemnies for the extra bolts to actually find anything to hit. And that can be a problem in higher difficulties.
  13. Karmic

Karmic IncGamers Member

Yep, and if you're going to stand that close, might as well use Locust Swarm instead.
  14. moreno

moreno IncGamers Member

Spirrit Barrage is actually a great spell with phantasm rune. Its AOE stacks, so I cast 5 of it and everything dies. I'm using it together with Poison Dart splinters and I'm in Act 2 inferno. My 4 remaining skills are Spirit Walk with mana regen rune and 3 CC skills.
  15. BohemianStalker

BohemianStalker IncGamers Member

only dire bats and they sux, truth is only zombie bears are viable in inferno its ****ing sad since they are more like shotgun and in higher difficulties you will get your *** kicked trying to cast bears, ****ing pathethic blizzard..WD dont have any skill except exploding toads and zombie bears viable in inferno.

16. Phillter

Phillter Member

I've been using a heavy CC Searing Locust/Splinters build that seems to be working out great. You die alot in enclosed spaces and spaces where you don't have a ton of room to run, but if you have a circle you can lead guys in you do OK, at least in A1. Guess I'll see what's up with Toads when I get on tonight.

17. nailertn

nailertn IncGamers Member

I use phantasm for bosses like Belial and Azmodan where I know they stay in it for the full duration, its damage / cast is roughly three times better than splinters in that scenario.
  18. yxalitis

yxalitis IncGamers Member

...only if you build for mana, and in so doing, are forgoing other, more useful passives.
    I'd rather use splinter darts, with PTV, and Jungle fortitude, giving me 216% damage, AND 20% reduction in damage.
    Your gimping yourself for no reason.

19. pcguy

pcguy IncGamers Member

I've used Spirit Barrage with varying degrees of success. It's effectiveness is largely determined by what kind of gear you are wearing. For instance, a fragile WD should not choose Manitou or Well of Souls, since they require mid to close range for maximum effectiveness. A WD with Vision Quest should not choose The Spirit is Willing. A WD with an insane attack speed should not choose Phantasm, since you can only have three out at a time. A WD without massive Life Regen or Life on Hit gear is practically wasting a slot if he is choosing Phlebotomize.

That being said, these skills are all useful and all have a purpose depending on gear, equipment, and playstyle. However, I feel Phlebotomize is probably the least useful out of the bunch because it seems it would only be useful if making a pseudo-tank style WD with a lot of specialized health replenishing equipment - not sure if viable in the current end-game.
  20. Thrakhath

Thrakhath IncGamers Member

For some reason everyone has jumped on Vision Quest as being the only viable build, despite many witch doctors on inferno having success with other builds. Dogs require you to be pretty close, so they're not even that safe.

So here goes. Horrify, Spirit Walk and Mass Confusion are all amazing on Inferno. Why not get all three? Spirit Vessel is also an amazing passive skill. Since you have lots of survival skills, a damage-over-time spell makes sense, what about Haunt? Now with four Spirit skills, Rush of Essence makes sense, and with those two passives, Soul Harvest is obvious. Then with the last skill slot, since Rush of Essence is already chosen, Spirit Barrage makes sense.

I think Haunt and SB work well together. Haunt everybody and spam Spirit Barrage until everything dies.