Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What's the big deal about Dexterity?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Holy Dude, Sep 8, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 2487

1. Holy Dude

Holy Dude IncGamers Member

Ok I've been playing for years, and I'm not a noob, but why is dexterity so important for an amazon? Attack rating doesn't concern me, because I won't miss EVERYtime. Why not Vitality instead?
  2. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Peeps are crazee for dem damage numbas. I pumped a bit of dex into my throw barb. Must clearly be out of my mind.
  3. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Well, attack rating does matter and should probably concern you. Dexterity also affects chance to block, so for a character with a decent shield, a significant dexterity investment can potentially reach max block (75%), which is potentially more valuable than the amount of life that the same investment into vitality would give.

But dexterity gets a bit more emphasis on amazons. The reason is that amazons tend to use either javelins or bows, and dexterity adds to the damage of these weapons.
  4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Dexterity is important for glass cannon builds because it improves damage and thus killing speed. Every 100 dex is +100% enhanced damage with bows, but you should look up the equation. By simply maneuvering properly, bowazons can go all-out for damage while ignoring many defensive mods: life, defense, block, faster block rate, faster hit recovery, life regen, life leech, physical damage reduction, others.

While Chance to Hit may not seem that important, a higher value saves you hours on the end game grind. Every percentage point counts. Enemies that you miss must be fired at again, wasting seconds (and arrows) that add up over hours of playing. If you're, say, hosting Chaos Runs or exp grinding solo, a high AR will save you time.

Note that with Pierce, one arrow missing will fail to pierce and hit potentially many more enemies behind each target. With Chance to Cast Amplify Damage, an arrow hitting instead of missing can curse a small batch of enemies. Thus, missing affects more than the one arrow/monster. Bowazons have trouble whittling down bosses sometimes, so every hit counts.

Javazons typically want some dex for max block. But some strafers and multishot bowazons put every stat point into dex so they can handle 8 player games for better exp and drops.
  5. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

It's not really necessary to exclusively increase dexterity to handle /players8. I pretty recently completed a /players8 bowazon using GA and Strafe (Baal did take some time and a lot of arrows, but it wasn't that bad). While I'm not confident enough to say what the optimal investments are for dexterity and vitality, I can say that a few close calls with things like unique monsters teleporting onto me left me glad I didn't invest fewer points into vitality, and I was even using Call to Arms on my switch. I did spend most of my time letting my valkyrie, mercenary, and decoy tank things for me, so dumping points into dexterity was also helpful. I suspect that the best stat distribution for a bowazon, even for a meticulous player that can almost always avoid taking hits, does involve putting some points into vitality.
  6. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Bowazons without dexterity wont do enough dmg to be viable imo. GA/Multi amazons anyways.
  7. Holy Dude

so, should I load points into dex or split between dex and vita?
  8. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

You want a lot of dexterity. How much vitality you'll want depends on personal preference and gear.
  9. Holy Dude

Thanks Namtar. Just wanna say, youre a great help in ALL my threads :)
  10. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I actually went and checked on my own GA/Strafe bowazon, and I ended up with well over 100 Vitality, which is higher than I've seen in bowazon guides. So maybe I went overboard on the Vitality. I don't know. I've only taken one bowazon through Hell, and others here have a lot more experience with them. My guess is that if you hang back and strategically place Decoy to avoid taking hits, Vitality isn't usually that helpful and investing almost entirely in Dexterity for damage is viable. If you're like me, and run into the middle of a bunch of monsters like an idiot, then hold down Strafe until they're dead, having some investment into Vitality is probably warranted.