Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What would you like in a Wildstorm Diablo III Comic Book?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Medievaldragon, May 7, 2009. | Replies: 20 | Views: 3071

1. Medievaldragon

Medievaldragon IncGamers Member

What would you like in a Wildstorm Diablo III Comic Book?

Ok, my experimental blogging/speculation venture didn't go so well. So I will stick to my fortè ... Lore. I have been in contact with DC Comics / Wildstorm for over a year now. Interviewed Walter Simonson (WoW writer), Ludo Lullabi (WoW artist) and Ben Abernathy (Starcraft Editor). DC Comics was kind to provide 225 StarCraft posters to giveaway. Leord has a StarCraftWire Challenge every week to give those away to fans. We have gotten exclusive preview scans. I met and interviewed Chris Metzen and Micky Neilson (Blizzard Creative Team) -- the Diablo III lore head-honchos -- at the New York Comic Con. I have open communication with these folks, and it would be a waste not to get the community involved.

I would like this Diablo III community to share their feedback and to get a discussion going concerning a possible Diablo Comic Book. All you have to do is to answer the following questions. Based on the feedback, I will forward it to DC Comics and Chris Metzen & Micky Neilson as a petition to see what happens. Diablo III will be in development for a while. And the fans who enjoy the lore as much as the gameplay might want to absorb as much as Blizzard gives out in printed media that expands the Diablo universe and that ties-in with Diablo II and Diablo III.

Imagine a comic book that -- doesn't necessarily spoils the Diablo III single player, but has to do with the past as much as the present. It's been 20 years since the Worldstone was destroyed -- so we could get some fill in blanks on what happened in those initial years after. We could probably see characters from the books show up in this comic book and see flashbacks from the novels, Diablo 1 or Diablo II.

1. Have you read the Dark Horse Diablo Comic Book? If the answer is yes, what did you like the most?
    2. Would you subscribe to a Diablo III Ongoing Series by DC/Wildstorm Comics?
    3. Would you like Diablo limited series (4-6 issues) based on certain time-frames of the Diablo universe, or from Diablo II Acts? If so, specify what you would love to read about (Petitions welcome).
    4. Which main character or characters would you like to see in a comic book?
    5. Which DC/Wildstorm comic book writers or artists would you like to see or think may fit perfectly in such a project?
    6. Your heart's desire: Additional freestyle feedback.
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Enrikr

Enrikr IncGamers Member

Re: What would you like in a Wildstorm Diablo III Comic Book?

1. Yes. I liked the Druid story the most, especially when he bursts into a rage when he is overwhelmed and totaly destroys the minions of destruction.

2. Probably, I try to collect everything from the Diablo franchise.

3. Yeah, well I love to read anything about it. Because I think the Lore in Diablo is smaller than in Starcraft or Warcraft, but only because less is told about it yet. So any more information is welcome.

4. I liked the characters Zayl with his skull Humbart and Salene.

5. The art of the Starcraft War Thorn looks okay for Diablo aswell in my opinion.

6. Not sure what my hearts desire is about this, but it would be nice if they start it for Diablo aswell.
  3. Flux

Flux Administrator

I'm not the best to answer this, since i occasionally read comics, but usually after downloading them, since I'm a dirty thief. I don't know which company makes the ones i read; I don't pay attention to that. Nor do I have any favorite authors/artists; don't pay attention to that either.

Shameful disclaimer aside, I'd love to see some D3 comics. I still have a copy of the old D2X "Tales of Sanctuary" comic, and while it's a stand alone one-off, without any canon or lore value, it's fun to look through once in a while.

For D3, I think they should do what HGL did with their comics. Prequel info, set up the world state/story, lead into the action, etc. With various new character types in the game, and 20 years of story between the end of D2X and the start of D3, there's a ton of material to plumb and flesh out. It would be nice to see comics that brought us up to speed on the story, introduced the new characters, etc.
  4. Medievaldragon

Medievaldragon IncGamers Member

I agree there with Flux. Blizzard is fleshing out the story for Starcraft II with Christie Golden's StarCraft: The Dark Templar trilogy, Graham McNeill's StarCraft: I, Mengsk and the upcoming William C Dietz's StarCraft: Heaven's Devils which explore the background between Jim Raynor and Tychus Findlay's friendship.

Diablo III does need more printed media. I would love to learn more about the Barbarians, the necromancers, Deckard Cain, and other characters. More background about the Angiris Council, Inarius and Lilith.

Comic books are very flexible. They can be set in the present. Writers can include flashbacks of past events, and make a twist with present stuff. I love that format a lot.

I am a subscriber of the WoW Comics since issue # 1. I will subscribe to the Starcraft comics, and would love a Diablo comics too. Before that, I was an avid Xmen comics reader with over 1,600 issues from various x-team titles.
  5. Krugar

Krugar Banned

Ah! Great you are back to your former self MedievalDragon. :)
    Have been enjoying your and Flux articles a lot and always looked up to the Articles section as a mature and very interesting reading and debate. Just so that you understand I do look up to you guys.

Here's my answers...

1. Have you read the Dark Horse Diablo Comic Book? If the answer is yes, what did you like the most?

I suppose you mean the "Diablo, Tales of Sanctuary" comic. I did read it. Have it in a box somewhere. However, the question is what I didn't like about it, since there is nothing in it I liked. So, if it would be useful this type of information, just holler.

Almost certainly. It would depend on the end result. But I do trust DC/Ws on about anything. So the answer is almost certainly.

3. Would you like Diablo limited series (4-6 issues) based on certain time-frames of the Diablo universe, or from Diablo II Acts? If so, specify what you would love to read about (Petitions welcome).

I am not sure really. Tough one... I guess I'd rather see one of three things:

- A game character centered story. Every issue one Diabo 2 act and one Diablo 2 character. The 6th issue being a Diablo 1 homage with a 3 character party from the original Diablo 1 playable characters.

- The same as above, but using a party of x characters. 3, 4 characters.

- A lore series, inspired not on the game directly but from the Sin Wars trilogy

Barbarian for it's influence in the game. Necromancer for its influence in the lore.

5. Which DC/Wildstorm comic book writers or artists would you like to see or think may fit perfectly in such a project?

Rather than providing names since I would have trouble doing that, I'll request a style: Dark, looming, decadent tone and environments. Complex characters battling their own fears and inner demons as they keep on winning the physical wars but losing their minds in the process. Clear silhouette on monsters and a care to their drawing with a focus on their abhorrent shapes and evil nature. Mature audience.

A limited hardcover edition sometime later packing all the issues into one, along with the artist(s) and writer(s) words on The Making Of.
  6. NJS

NJS IncGamers Member

Questions:
    6. Your heart’s desire: Additional freestyle feedback.

Answers:
    1. Yes, I believe I liked the paladin story the most where he continued his journey to destroy the corrupted Zakarum.

2. Yes I would.

3. Definitely, Diablo has just as many good story possibilities if not more then the WarCraft universe. For time line I think expanding upon act three comic series would be interesting. Also a seriers that focued on the time frame between Diablo 1 and 2. Also comic series focus around the Horidum would be very cool.

4. Diablo 1 Warrior, Tyreal, Horidum members.

5. I don't really know any by name, but I feel any anime styled art is not fitting and would not be the correct choice for a Diablo comic series.

6. Just to recap the point that the timelines between Diablo 1 and 2 would make a great story. Follow the Warrior as he increasingly goes insane. Show what happened to the other heros that fought Diablo in Tristram (the Rogue "Bloodraven" and the Sorcerer. Also all the battles and journeys the Horidum had with the 3 prime evils when they originally came. Also I think a dark Gothic realistic style art would fit best. Perhaps like the Dark Knight comics.
  7. GuardianHadriel

GuardianHadriel IncGamers Member

1.nope.
    2.anything that has even just a slight connection to Diablo.
    3.yeah, i´d like to read of the intence fights agianst the prime evils and the journey of deckard cain.
    4.The paladins pursuit of divine justice and his sorrow of loosing his friends and belief to Mephistos mindtwisting powers.
    5.no idea.
    6.THE PALADIN.(including him as a class in d3).
  8. jamoose

jamoose IncGamers Member

-No.

-No, i would probably buy the first one just to keep it.

-I would like side stories in the world of sanctuary... like how the necromancer became like that, and what happened to him after the events ofdiablo 2. Infact, a whole series about the necromancer would be nice, it can be funny also with jokes about his summons and his mental issues...

-The necromancer from diablo 2, the warrior from diablo 1, the assasin from the expansion.

-I dont know their names.

-I would like to see a successfull diablo 2 comics, with a little darker pictures than usual, with a great art style, and good plots. Please dont ruin the diablo world with a lame comic book.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope i helped :thumbup:
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  9. Marahumm

Marahumm IncGamers Member

I have not.

Absolutely!

Well, I'm sure since we're in the forums we've all played through the acts. I'd prefer to read about lore I'm less familiar with (pretty much all).

If it's a timeline between D2 and D3, I would love to see the barbarian that we'll see in D3. It'd be nice to know how Tyreal plays a role in the transition as well.

no idea

It would be great to read why certain classes were on the endless quest to stop diablo. Does the necromancer and assassin's clan have ulterior motives to their agenda? Does the barbarian have something to prove? Backstory is always fun :D
  10. AkumaSlayer

AkumaSlayer Diablo: IncGamers Member

No. I didn't know there was one already.

Yes, but only if I enjoyed the first issue.

I like the idea about basing them on the DII acts. But there should be a good side story, like some arguments among the characters.

The Necromancer would make a good main character, and maybe the Paladin. Maybe they could fight at some point in the adventure? I can imagine seeing the Paladin accidentally killing all of the Necromancers minions in the dungeons, and the Necromancer retaliating.

Good storyline, lots of plot twists and plenty of action.
  11. Sky Tan

Sky Tan IncGamers Member

1) No for Dark Horse Diablo Comic Book, yes for other titles by wildstorm many years back.

2) Yes, if the artwork is good and consistant, nice Diablo Lore and storyline and a limited storyline. (I think no one wants to collect D3 comic when there will be issue #1001 , if u knew u wouldnt have started)

3) Well, a set of bout 5-10 issue for each character story from D2,till how they reach the Rogue encampment.
    Then bout 5-10 issue for each act 1 till act 5 with all these characters in a party. Also one section on D1 storyline to connect to D2. Then 1 set on the story of the prime evils war, then those super uniques with stories (leoric, andariel, hephasto..)

*These will be awesome for the pre-quel for the D3 comic.

4) above says it all

5) not to sure about , but i like wildcats , gen13 inital artwork (stopped collecting halfway)

6) Hardcover compilation for a certain parts of story together..like (3) 1 char story 1 hardcover...and most importantly not a never ending story please 30-50 would be great.
  12. akatsukimem

akatsukimem IncGamers Member

1.maybe

2.sure,why not...well,probably...

3.both of the 2 mentioned

4.the male wizard,if possible,call him stark.the story after the destruction of the WS,on what happen to the barbarians and druid,hoe where they affected.the story of the witchdoctor's terrifying tribe.

5.anyone who makes the comic filled with horror,action,lore and goodn artistic skills

6.add some of the monsters in D1,D2 and D3 that fit into the story.also give great details about the monsters background story.make everything feel like a horror book.lots of plot twists.and give a part of the comic that tells the desxription,story and many other things.about the characters or creatures that appear in that issue.pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssseeeeeee!!!!
  13. Dembol

Dembol IncGamers Member

No. I think I wasn't that much of a comic book fan back in the days, but if I'm able to find them somewhere fairly cheap on ebay or in online stores I promise to catch up.
    No. I live in Europe, the shipping costs would kill me. I'd still get the trades or singles at my own pace though.
    I'd like to know more about the games' backstory. I think I heard the developers say that they want to expand the lore for the Sanctuary greatly in D3 so showing more in comic book format would be a great move. Especially that there wasn't much printed stuff for Diablo and not everyone has the time to join the bits and pieces from various sources or to spend hours reading Diablo wiki.
    Basically everyone but the Barbarians. They steal too much spotlight in the game. A bit of backstory for the classes would be nice: why did they decide to fight evil, how they got to the rogue Encampment, who they are and what do they stand for and so on (same for Diablo 3). Kung-fu-training-movie-esque assassin story would kick ***. I'd keep it short (1-3 issues), because I think not everyone would like to read a 15 issue saga about the class which they never liked or played a lot.
    ALSO!
    Pygmies from D2 act 3. I love them! Witch Doctor Endugu Jungle Adventures would be aweseome. Really! The Butcher - everyone loves the Butcher. Generally I'd like to know more about the enemies or secondary characters. How Atma's husband died? Why he went to the sewers? Who was Radament and why is he an evil mummy now? The Horazon journal and the Arcane Sanctuary with their mysticism and 'cosmic laws out of this world' could be a great set up for a lovecraftian type of story. How did it happen that Bloodraven was corrupted? Why De Seis was a thief? There are so many superunique monsters who could have a cool backstory which would flesh them out. Of course not all of them should make the reader feel pity for the slain monsters (Is that the chopped head of the goatman that liked flowers and butterflies? :( ). Some should be downright evil.

Writing: Alan Moore seems to despise DC as of late so I can propose some other guys I like: Peter Milligan (Programme), Brain K. Vaughan (Ex Machina) and ummm... me (nothing) ;).
    Art: Anyone with realistic drawing style who can set up a necessary tone for the story. It doesn't have to be super grim'n'dark, but I wouldn't like it to be all rainbows and unicorns too. Also, no huge shoulderpads please. It seem that recently all the fantasy artists think it makes the characters look cool, but when you see the same gimmick everywhere it gets old very quick.

Of course stories with over 9000 pages about Barbarians (or other powerhouse characters) going through hordes of enemies are fun (if done right), but I also like to read stories that don't follow the fantasy conventions or stories with quirky little ideas and twists. I think I'd love a story about a tribe of Fallen which were just chillin' doin' their tribal thing, but are forced to take up arms to defend their 'religion' when an 'evil' paladin comes by with his quest to destroy Diablo.
    Backstories about certain uniques in the game would be nice. Especially those with some serious restrictions or themes. It would bring a lot to the game for me if I knew that this anti-cold armour that I just found makes the character feel like he/she was on fire whenever it blocks cold, because something happened with it in the past or this spear/maul could be so heavy that it barely could be lifted by 5 people yet my barbarian flings it with ease since he's so freaking strong. These could be added as a bonus to regular stories, since such stories when being longer could get boring.

Other thoughts to be avoided:
    -Let's put as many characters, items, monsters, abilities in every issue as we can so we will eventually lose focus. This is the flaw of most comics based on beat'em up games where characters can't just punch eachother, they have to go for the "Leaping Fiery Dragon Punch in the Groin Attack" EVERY TIME.
    -Let's make the stories so closely linked to the game lore that almost no one (except for the ubernnerds) can actually understand/enjoy it. I hate when I need to read/do something extra to fully enjoy the comic.
    -Let's go for the crappy cliche halfassed mangalike art style, people seem to like it. I personally enjoy manga very much, but the basic rule is you never go half-manga. you either call the Japanese and have them do evetyrhing or you hire Westerners. So far I've seen 1-2 attempts of going only halfway that were good. The others still give me nightmares.

Sorry for all the things that don't fit canon or are just plain wrong. I'm not very reliable in terms of Diablo lore and my imagination is waaaay to vivid.
    Cheers.
  14. Krugar

Krugar Banned

Dembol, it's very possible that you have a DC distributor in your country in the form of a known Polish magazine/book distributor. Any subscription can be done through them. Even more so in a country like yours with such an amazing tradition in comics and animation. Some of the best work I've ever put my hands on came either from Poland or other eastern European countries. Most particularly work from the 70s and 80s.

In any case, you should inform yourself. This is how I go about subscribing to foreign periodicals here.

Best regards,
    a Polish animation fan from Portugal

15. Rolland

Rolland IncGamers Member

-------------------------------------------------------------

1 - No, But will look for it now.

2 - Yes, if I liked how it was done.

3 - A limited series would be nice, either from Pre D1 era or dealing with the Barbarians and their fight or perhaps some history on Tyrael and the fight between Heaven and Hell, past wars where Tyrael was involved.

4 - Tyrael :thumbup:

5 - I'd personally LOVE to see Walt Simonson get back to drawing (just picked up his Thor Visionaries Vol.1 and loved it! Jim Lee would be good, but I'd like to see Stephen Platt work on a D3 (or anything! heh) really enjoyed his sadly under noticed Soul Saga work:

http://www.shockmatrix.com/soulsaga/gallery6.html

Marc Silvestri would also be a great choice!

Basically anything BUT the current (/cough lazy) airbrush or anime styled trend. While I enjoy some anime manga, I don't think it's right for D3 or Diablo setting in general.

I like most artists and inkers that are detailed and you can tell are passionate about their work.

6 - I'd really like to see a darker, more mature storyline and direction for anything that deals with D3 or the Diablo Universe. The world of Sanctuary IS a dark and gritty place, full of places of beauity as well...but a world that is at War with the powers in conflict there.

And by mature/adult I don't mean "crude" , I mean not silly or cheesy or trite. There can be a bit of humor at times between characters but it should be tempered by the setting and circumstances of the world they find themselves in trying to survive. It should be a serious tone overall imo

I'd LOVE a D3/Diablo story that channels Steven Erikson or Glen Cook's type of characters and storytelling :)

Thank you for the chance to voice our thoughts and opinions!!!

I will be sure to keep up on the purposed series and wish it and all involved the very best!

Regards
  16. Qwink

Qwink IncGamers Member

No

No

Yes

Assassin

I dont know any of them
  17. amdZeroNineEight

amdZeroNineEight IncGamers Member

Nope

2. Would you subscribe to a Diablo III Ongoing Series by DC/Wildstorm Comics?0

maybe, depends on how well issue 1 is

either works, but it has to be done well

no idea, but you can try to make it like a journal from one chars prespective

geoff jones, but hes busy with blackest night
    DnA would be nice as well, though they are also busy with War of Kings
    so long as it is not jeph loeb, im happy, loeb = automatic pass on anything.
    art, i dont really care so long as its easy to follow, not a mismash of random stuff going on

time. make it come out on time, or not at all
    these game based comics are mostly sold by thier games, and it might be better to wait till d3 comes to publish it
    halo uprising was set to come out as halo3 launched, issue 1 sold well cuz of MS promoting halo3 like crazy
    the book finally finished last month, and no one really followed it, as it was delays upon delays and no one gave a damn after so long, i personally forgot what happened in the last few issues
    some books can be delayed and still sell, but those are mainstream comics such as wolverine, or ultimate hulk vs wolverine, and big events, like secret invasion or civil war
    but if the event is not as popular [final crisis], then people start to loose interest with each delay, i really didnt care what happened in final crisis due to it being delayed, and one tie in is still going on 3 months after it ended

you dont always need to give a ton of backstory to start, you can sometimes jump in with the action or the main plot, like secret invasion 1 did

if you need examples of taking unknown characters and making them big names, try annihilation, it focuses on nova which was a rarely known character and made him big

other good 'unite against evil' stories are the thunderbolts tie in to secret invasion, jones' sinestro corps war, and even the transformers generation 2 comic by marvel
  18. FlamangoHellfire

FlamangoHellfire IncGamers Member

1. No

2. Yes, if the writing was good enough.

3. I'd like to see time frames.

4. Maybe the DeSoto's. I'd really like to see the something that covered the period of time between Diablo II and III. I'd rather not see any of the main characters in a comic book, but if instead they came up with a new character that we could meet up with in DIII. This approach would be vastly more immersive and set up a element of continuity to draw the reader not only into the story but also into the new game.

5. NEIL GAIMAN. Not only is he my favorite writer ever, he also did the Sandman comic books, which are amazing, and my favorite comic period. He has won basically every award under the sun, recently including a Newbury, but also the Hugo and Nebula awards. Just a consideration. (And he writes for DC)

6. Diablo III + Neil Gaiman = The best collision of artistic worlds possibly imaginable.
  19. Krugar

Krugar Banned

Nice call on Neil Gaiman. Absolutely! That would be a dream come true.

EDIT: Which reminds me of yet another great name. Mike Carey. One of these two and the series sales will skyrocket. The two of them together and I'll have a stroke.
  20. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

No, but i'll be looking for it now

Hard to say, I'd look for the first issue, see how it goes.

That would be a nice start. How about the Sin Wars? or Deckard Cain's past.

I think the NPC's are a bit more intersting then the actual playables. Maybe since there is a bit of mystery around them. But WAIT- for the playables, might there be a chance to tell stories about the original owners of all those groovy xpac Set's (Immortal King, etc.)?

Damn, I really don't know. I just picked up issue #75 of "The Darkness" topcow/image. That looked super good, artists are
    Matt Timson
    Joe Benitez
    Michael Broussard
    Lee Carter
    Jorge Lucas
    Marc Silvestri
    Steve Firchow
    Frazer Irving
    Dale Keown
    Ryan Sook
    Stjepan Sejic

6. Your heart’s desire: Additional freestyle feedback.
    Ok. Multiple mini series.
    Series 1, "Bul-Kathos"
    Series 2 "Trang-Oul"
    Etc.

I guess if there was first a mini on Bul kathos, damn, I'd HAVE to buy that
    Last edited: May 10, 2009