Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to do with my gems

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Apostrof, Jan 28, 2013. | Replies: 22 | Views: 838

1. Apostrof

Apostrof IncGamers Member

Not really a SP thing but since i only play SP i will post it here, and im interested in prices of these things in SP trading community.

I spent almost a full week of my gaming time (not really a lot these days) cubing grand charms with all the gems i accumulated since i started playing again. And i am kind of guy that saves even chipped ones. So its a lot of gems, and muling and cubing them is the most boring activity i have ever done in my entire life.

But i am not really satisfied with the results, the only reason i am doing this is hoping i can trade them for some decent runes and cube them to get my enigma finally. All i got were some plain skillers (or skillers with useless mods) and a couple of bow skills 40 life and those arent that popular (as far as trade price guide thread tells me). I also got one 9max/64ar/39 life charm that i would like to know real price i can sell it for. All things considered i probably spend more gems than i can get trading all of this away, not to mention a lot of time doing the most boring thing ever.

I was thinking of switching to cubing jewels, the ed/ias ones are really valuable, i have a lot of jewels saved and since they have less prefixes/suffixes i think they are easier to cube/get what you need. But most ppl that write reports on their cubing projects always cube charms so i am not that sure i got this right.

And also what are the chances that someone would actually sell their runes for gems, i presume most ppl on these forums have more gems than they know what to do with, thats why i started cubing in the first place, to have a chance to get some trades for runes since my mf isnt going that great.
  2. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I don't trade but if I did, I would probably be looking for perfect small charms. Heavily duped items like 3/20/20's are actually quite a rare sight in the SPF from what I understand.
  3. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I've never had a 3/20/20, but I've got/had several very close. I would imagine there are a band of them hanging around within the SPF, but probably not many.
  4. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I traded Solar a handful of gems for a Jah last August!

I'm interested t hear what people have to say about rolling jewels. I haven't heard much, if anything about that.

If you're looking for a more reliable way to get runes for enigma then your best bet is council, high player setting clears of areas (pits, p5 for example) or even LK (up to ber). )
  5. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

LK probably requires the least gear, since all you need for efficiency is faster cast rate and faster run/walk. Travincal is probably the most efficient of all the options though, and can be run with gear that I would imagine you have.

Fabian's Mini WW Barb Guide
    Cheap option for Travincal is in there too.
  6. Mungojerry

Mungojerry IncGamers Member

Perhaps you could find a market with these pgems.. If I had a couple of spare surs ohms etc I would gladly trade for a couple hundred pgems or whatever the price would be. People probably need lifers more so than HR's after infinity/enigma is completed.
  7. Apostrof

Hm, i tough that 20 vita requires ilvl of 90+ now i see its only 61, but i dont really have that many small charms. And i still think that jewels are better since they have less prefixes/suffixes, increasing your chance to get the good stuff. Why is it common opinion that jewels are not that great for cubing?
  8. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I think it's because there are lots of cheap substitutes for socketing (perfect topaz for MF) but no cheap substitute for a good charm.

Plus charms are universally useful across your entire account, instead of getting permanently stuck in one item forever.
  9. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

Caster Amulets (random Jewel+random Amulet+Ral+Perfect Amethyst) can potentially be some of the most valuable items in the game. You could potentially (even though the odds are small) get something like +2 skills/20 fcr/all res/mf that would sell for a lot. If you decide to craft amulets make sure that the amulets you use are at least ilvl 88 (for the +2 skill prefix). All amulets gambled with a lvl 93 character are at least ilvl 88.

Other popular crafts are gloves and rings. I don't know much about glove crafting but I have tried crafting some blood rings (Perfect Ruby+random Ring+random Jewel+Sol).
  10. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

The ilvl of the input amulet is not the only factor in the result. Character level also counts. The RESULT ilvl needs to be 90 or greater, and this is achieved often by having clvl 93 (gambled items have ilvl of at least 88 since 93 +4/-5 >= 88) and the formula would then go like this: 88/2 + 93/2 = 44 + 46 = 90

Thus, if you found a blue amulet from baal, you could get away with a lvl 82 character for the craft, since 82/2 + 99/2 = 41 + 49 = 90

But by far the fastest is to just use a lvl 93 for both gambling and crafting. Using gomule/ATMA to check ilvls, you COULD gamble a bunch of amulets at lvl 88, then check them, and craft only the ~10% of amulets that got ilvl 92. Requires a lot of gold though, and leveling to 93 isn't THAT painful.
  11. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

Especially for trading purposes, jewels are not a priority focus for rerolling because nearly every affix you REALLY want are either variable or block out another desired affix. Also, perceived value varies amazingly depending on that roll. I'll use the Ruby Jewel of Fervor you mentioned as example: the value difference between a +31%ED/15%IAS and a +40%ED/15%IAS is obvious... but the value difference between a +39%ED/+15%IAS and +40%ED/15%IAS is astronomical, when you consider the actual difference that +1% makes.

And just for reference sake, at ilvl66 (alvl for Ruby so with as restricted an affix pool as possible) the odds of a RJoF are 2:6901 (0.0289813%). Not the most likely thing in the world. If it helps any, a 40% roll is just as likely as 31%... just remember that cuts both ways.

EDIT:
    Just went to double check that I wasn't way off base & turns out I was a bit. Those skillers of (41+)Vita tick in at 1:24200 (0.0041322%). So yes, you could average 7 RJoFs in the same amount of pgems.

EDIT2:
    you have looked at the trade forum recently I assume? They have been pretty slow recently...
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  12. FredOfErik

I had no idea about this :thumbsup:
  13. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

But it's mentioned every day :p
  14. FredOfErik

I think I know everything, so I usually don't read it :tongue:
  15. Apostrof

Cant ... do .... this ..... anymore .....

Too boring and rng hates me. After ~600 gems i have a couple of skillers with no other useful mods and all my small charms are useless. I also got one 40Ed/5str jewel and that is all.

I hate this game. As soon as i get my perfect grail and all perfect runewords in all bases im gonna stop
  16. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

I spend mine only on crafting for now. Cubing sounds fun, however perhaps better option is to save gems for trade purposes to get what you need, otherwise there is a good chance all that cubing will result in nothing. I have experience with both crafting and cubing, and crafting provides me with better results. Anyway, I use only 3 type of gems for crafting, so there is plenty more for trading and potential cubing.
  17. FredOfErik

If I was still a Pal, I would've totally sigged this :worship:
  18. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

600 PGs means 200 rerolls, if you've done some part with SC, other with GC and a third one with Jewels, it's not hard to understand that you didn't get nice results.

Check here odds for nice ones of each. That's just suck a small number of tries.

I never rerolled jewels, I think the chances are too small to get something really nice and I think jewels have a much lower use than charms. Don't get me wrong, the right jewel is awesome and great for some builds, but they are much more specific. And lot's of builds will never need them. Cham, Ber, Facets, etc steal most of the socket action.

Charms on the other hand, even if odds aren't that great, they are better (I didn't do math to compare but it's the idea I have) and there are many more charms you can use/trade. For example, there are "lots" of nice tier skillers, damage+AR, you have "several" life suffixes and balance one. Yet again, you need many more tries to get really nice ones, 200 it's not much. I've had both awesome and really bad results in past, but always spending many more gems, iirc once I sold many items for PGS and got around 3000, and spent them only rerolling grand charms.

Edit: you got 2x 40life acrobat skillers using a part of the 600 PGS? That is NOT unlucky. I agree with Fabian. And I'm not sure if you're being serious or trolling.

Edit2: zemaj, if we consider just one possible combination for grand charms, of course the odds will suck big time because of the huge number of grand charm prefixes. But nobody starts rerolling grand charms expecting just a single combination, so there's no comparison to when going to reroll jewels hoping for a RJoF.

__

I compared the chances for nice grand charms versus nice jewels:

Grand Charms (Mentalist, Entrapping, Natural, Spiritual, Harpoonist, Burning, Chilling, Sparking, Fungal, Lion Branded with any Vita, with High Sustenance or Balance) 1:605 (0.1652892 %)

Jewels (ED Ruby, Scintillating with of Fervor, Freedom) 35:55208 (0.0633966 %)
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  19. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying you've had two 40 life Vita skillers in 600 pgems? That's, like, ridiculously above par. You should be super pleased about your extremely good luck.
  20. Apostrof

Well they are actually 39 vita not 40, and i probably used around 500 gems in the "first round" i got those. Didnt actually keep the tabs but i guess i spend around ~660 gems on cubing grand charms, ~330 on small charms and ~120 on jewels.

Now when i think about it i didnt do that bad at all, but considering the time and gems invested it kinda sucks...
    These are the best i got
    Code:
    Fletcher's Grand Charm of Vita
    Grand Charm
    Required Level: 69
    Fingerprint: 0x667cf9c1
    Item Level: 85
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +1 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    +39 to Life

Fletcher's Grand Charm of Vita
    Grand Charm
    Required Level: 69
    Fingerprint: 0x67a3db29
    +1 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    +39 to Life

Ruby Small Charm of Vita
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 39
    Fingerprint: 0x72f102eb
    Item Level: 87
    +19 to Life
    Fire Resist +11%

Ruby Jewel of Virility
    Jewel
    Required Level: 58
    Fingerprint: 0xbf253cd2
    40% Enhanced Damage
    +4 to Strength
    really not worth the effort. Especially cubing the gems up to perfect was a pain in the ***.