Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

What the heck is this thing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stevinator, Apr 21, 2013. | Replies: 31 | Views: 1506

1. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

So, as i mentioned, I've been helping clean up my grandparents' house in my spare time. And since they can't take a lot of this stuff with them, I've "inherited" a bunch of things my mom has decided i desperately need.

A lot of this was canned goods. That's fine, they can't store it at their little apartment, and everyone claims I'm the most creative cook in the family (lies!) Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what i'm going to do with some of the odd food stuffs, when i find a bag full of what appear to be kitchen implements or various ages.

I say kitchen implements because they're very clean, and mostly kitchen tool sized. I don't use a lot of gadgets for things. When i was working in a restaurant, we basically used just can openers and standard cheapy chef knives. Anyway, I've identified most of these gadgets, but I can't figure one out.

View attachment 4288

Here's it sitting on my table. The lower part is a big thick handle (over an inch in diameter at the widest--more than 3cm diameter for you metrics), and the tool part looks like a cheese planar, but the blade angle is such that I don't think it would work (it would constantly dig deeper). The inside edge is sharp like a cheese planar, so there's that, but the outside looks like the gears on a bicycle gear. They're bevelled, but not so sharp you could cut yourself.

View attachment 4289

A close up of the tool end. you can kinda make out the pointy bits.

View attachment 4290

Super close up of the pointy bits.

So what the heck is this thing? What purpose do the gear point--sawblade--scraping bits serve? Why does it seem to be basically a cheese planar, but then not have anything to set on the top of the cheese to keep it straight? I don't have a picture, but there's also an even more mysterious plastic thing on the other end of the handle. it's like a hook so you can hang it, but there's no hole in it. It has two plugs that connect, but the only thing I could see putting in there might be string or something.

Anyway, clearly this is not an emergency, but I am baffled, and I can't control my curiosity. Someone explain this thing to me!

On a side note. While I was examining it closely, I thought to myself, what if society collapses and this somehow makes it. What would a future society make of such a device? If I don't even know what it is, what could they make of it?
  2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Appears to be a citrus zester. Inner part cuts "twists", outer teeth scrape fine zest.
  3. Stevinator

I'm not sure they're sharp enough to do that. besides, isn't a zester like a mini-grater?

The pointy things, they aren't sharp. they're pointy, but not enough to break your skin. I feel like it's for scraping--but for scraping what? and why have points?

You might be able to get a lime in there, but only little ones. i don't think a lemon would fit.

I admit that I have the bad habit of using a chef's knife for zesting on the rare occasions when i need to. One day I will chop off my fingers.
  4. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Bottle opener? LOL
    No, seriously ...

A tool for making curly butter pats?
  5. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

An aspergus peeler? Some kind of other peeler, for spuds or so?
  6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

It looks exactly like a "church key" to me as well, except a more "reversed" one. The 'pointy bits' grip the cap, and the solid bar part would rest on the cap as you lifted.

Only reason I was not already making fun of Stevinator for not recognizing a "church key" bottle opener is that he identified the solid bar part as being sharp as a cheese grater. That doesn't seem right; the 'blade' of a church key is sharp but not enough to cut.

There's some nut-crackers and such that look very strange, and that would account for the gripping teeth - but it doesn't look like any I've seen, nor would the blade work on nutmeg and such.

A coin for scale would help...
  7. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Rrrrrrr, can't figure out. [punches internet walls]

Thank's a LOT, Steve. This has been bothering me. Can't you ask your grandparents? I'm more of a woodpecker expert.
  8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It must a piece of scrap metal which looks like a tool by pure incident, so your grandparents kept it. I know for sure because it's not included in this:

[​IMG]

Seriously: Is it part of a set of tools? Does it give hints about its manufacturer?

If it looks like cutting deeper into something, maybe it's for scraping something off or cut through small things which fits through the hole.
  9. Stevinator

[QUOTEloz]Bottle opener? LOL
    No, seriously ...

A tool for making curly butter pats?[/QUOTE]

The sharp part is flat, so it's more likely for flat cuts of something. I would practice on some butter, but I use mostly olive oil and the tub of fake stuff.

Trust me, I would recognize a church key. THis isn't one though, it's too big, and the pointy bits go straight out, they aren't for grabbing, I don't think. I could see them scraping something soft--or rolling points down across something.... But I have no idea why there would be points. Sorry the pics of the tip are all pretty iffy.

It would need a fulcrum to open a beer anyway. Besides, I'm sure in inside is for slicing something, it looks just like a cheese planar, but with this wacky gear shaped, almost knife, but not sharp enough thing on the end.

View attachment 4301

There's one with a piece of paper as a background and a tape measure for scale. The inside is sharp, the handle is big and rubber.

When I get out there again. My new schedule has made visiting the family trickier. I will figure this thing out though.
  10. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

To hell with your schedule, get yourself over there naaaaahhhhhh!

/eastendaccent
  11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

The scale makes all the difference, though - the opening is nearly 2", so there's no way it could be used on a bottle cap. I was also thinking there were some torture-instrument-style things used with nutmeg, but again the opening is too large.

My wife might know; she dreamt of being at the CIA and is a cooking show addict.
  12. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

Does she like this cooking show?

http://youtu.be/IdsMtPOFjU0
  13. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

was your grandfather a mohel?
  14. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I am NOT showing that to her. She'll think it's real at first, and then want to watch it for the History. :p
    Ugh. If SD hadn't dropped something like that, I'd be happy to see him.

J/K, I'm happy to see him.

Recursive J/K loop.
  15. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I think it's a coconut grater. You use the spines to bust the shell and then shave the skin off with the "blade". Not sure, but that's kind of what it looks like.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  16. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

17. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

18. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

So like, for those who want REALLY fresh coconut shavings?

Still not getting the inward-facing blade bit, but I probably didn't understand the angle correctly. The nut's surface would be round, so maybe it's angle would bite just enough to get the brown skin off?
  19. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

It pops out of the brown skin from the inside and you carve in on the outside curve.
    View attachment 4309
    Fresh Toasted Shavings are the best, Rum and a flame LOL.
    :D
  20. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Why did I start thinking you were going to discuss putting lotion in the basket next?