Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What should I do with this?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Manolios, Jan 11, 2006. | Replies: 22 | Views: 1249

1. Manolios

Manolios IncGamers Member

What should I do with this?

I was making my way through the River of Flame in hell difficulty when I notice this laying in a pile of dead Urdars.

Superior Sacred Armor
    Defense: 691
    Durability: 47 of 60
    Required Strength: 232
    Required Level: 66
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0xfa726df
    +15% Enhanced Defense :surprise:

Needless to say I immediately thought of Larzuk and I realized that there is some great potential for this armor. The problem is that I don't quite know exactly what to do with it. The options I see are as follows.

1) Stone - I have all the runes except the lum (thank you hellforge) which shouldn't be to difficult to find with an evening or two of countess runs.

2) Fortitude - I really like the stats on this armor. The problem is that I don't have a Lo yet and with my rune luck it would be a long time before I find one. The hellforge seems to like me but I've never found a rune higher than um.

3) nothing! - should I save my socket rewards and collect a cool 35k gold?

4) other - This is the whole point of the thread. I'm looking for suggestions as to what you would do with this.

Number three is really out of the question. If nothing else I'll just throw it in an ATMA stash and drool over it once in a while. I'm leaning towards stone simply because I'm close to being able to make it already but I'm really wondering what you would do with it. Is this the right move with this armor or am I overlooking any good options? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

2. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Stone

(10 chars)

3. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought Sacred Armour could only get defense of 600. With the 15% bonus from being Superior, that's 690. Where does the extra 1 come from?

I thought Larzuk only gave one socket to Superior items, though I figure I must be wrong. Presuming you get the sockets for it, definitely Stone. I think you'll get at least 2418 defense, and it can roll up to 2694. (My maths might be out. I can't remember how the game rounds.) It might become the highest possible non-ethereal defense possible.

You may wish to post it in the pricecheck thread. It might be very valuable to someone who does have a Lo.

4. tweety

tweety IncGamers Member

The ED of it being superior is always applied to the maximum defence+1 for any peace of armor.

I would not do anything with it, Stone is nice, but for a character the sacred armor's strength requirement is a bit too high. For a merc you can use an ethereal, with the eth bug you can get a lot higher defence.

5. Dan334477

Dan334477 IncGamers Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the eth bug? A forum search yields no results (terms are too short I think).

6. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

In old patches (1.10 at least) upping an Eth item lost its Eth bonus. In 1.11, the added code to put the Eth bonus back when you up an item BUT the socket cube recipie also calls that same bit of code so if you socket an eth item with the socket recipie, the Eth bonus gets applied twice.

7. Dan334477

Dan334477 IncGamers Member

Wow, that's a handy bit of knowledge. Wish I knew that before making my stone a few days ago :(

Oh well. Still a nice piece of gear for my merc.

Thanks.

Edit: Does that also apply to weapons?

8. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Nope, only armors for some reason.

I would also stash the armor, unless you are prepared to give a character that much strength, then Stone is the only viable option for it.

Milb

9. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

I don't think that armor is really good for much more than laying in your stash or simply looking at it, sorry ;)

I know from my very own experience, that making stone in a sacred armor is a big mistake, as that armor will only be worn by the strongest (str-wise) chats you've got (perhaps a werewolf or a barbarian) and cannot be used by any other char.

Heck, even my Duress, made in a Balrog Skin, was a total mistake, as again, the str requirement is pretty damn high even there, and at 165, my PvP bowazon can't even think of using it, in case she might have to drop fort (as I've learnt today, you Tgods counts as two lightning absorb items already, thanks CRG :thumbsup: ).

Anyways, it's a waste of a LO to put fort in it, and it's quite too high for stone too me thinks.

10. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty IncGamers Member

The strength requirement is a bit steep...

...unless you want to have a character with possibly the most stupifying defense possible on non-ethereal armour. I guess it depends why you play the game. I'm sure there are plenty of chars that will be great for PvM even with 232 strength. And if you put your mind to it, you can probably get a lot from gear. (IK gloves and belt gives +45 str and pretty good other stats.)

11. SuperSavage

SuperSavage IncGamers Member

Stone for sure.

Lo is very hard too find it it could take u forever to find one. Is odds for 4 sockets better than 3,2,1 right? I think I saw that some where, dunno. Even if you got a Lo i think it would be a waste.... 232 strength go TITAN

12. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes IncGamers Member

The socket recipe only works on normal armor, so he can't use the recipe to try for 1,2,3 or even 4 sockets. Larzuk is the only choice and he always gives you the max number of sockets possible. If the sacred wasn't superior he could use the socket recipe and the chances for 1, 2 or 3 sockets would be 1/6 and the chance for 4 sockets is 1/2.

13. Duke HD

Duke HD IncGamers Member

You could have the one armour that makes a 1.11 Titan's,

but as was pointed out before, Larzuk is not sure to give you enough slots for the runeword...

Are you feeling lucky ? Or is this going to be in the stash forever to drool over ?

I would say: give it a try with socketing with Larzuk and make an armour worthy of a Titan Barb ! If it doesn't work out, just sell it, 30k Gold and the memories of finding this are still cooler than having it on Atma....

Be Lucky, socket it. I bet t will have enough sockets ! (just me, I don't have a Char in 1.11 yet who could equip it)

14. tweety

tweety IncGamers Member

I'm not sure your chances are correct. If the maximum amount of sockets an item can have is higher than the amount of sockets that is allowed because of item level, you will have a higher chance of the maximum of sockets for that item lvl.
    The maximum amount of sockets of this armour is 4 and the item level does not restrict this, so chances for 1-4 sockets are the same.

15. Edmond Dantes

Didn't you read my post above? Larzuk will ALWAYS give the max number of sockets, so in this case it would be 4, exactly what is needed for stone.

16. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Ok this is how i think the chance works with the cube recipe

it's one an equal chance to get six sockets so that makes it 1/6 for any number of sockets , but as we all know you can't get 6 sockets so 5 and 6 sockets chance gets added to the chance for 4 sockets making it 3/6 for 4 sockets and 1/6 for 3 , 2 , 1

Larzuk will give max number as Edmond Dantes said

17. Edmond Dantes

Incorrect. The chances for 1-6 sockets is 1/6 when using the socket recipe. However, since armors cannot have more than 4 sockets, the chance to get 5 or 6 sockets is added to the chance to get 4 sockets. IE, if the game tries to give the armor 5 sockets it will give it 4 by default. Therefore the chance to get 4 sockets (in this particular case) is 1/6 + 1/6 + 1/6 = 1/2.

Edit: Exactly right Aman. Also, obviously you can't use the socket recipe in this particular case...sorry about that wording. What I meant was if the armor was not superior, the odds would be correct.

Edit again: Tweety, if the ilevel of the armor is too low to allow for 4 sockets, then the chance for 3 is 2/3, with the chances for 1 and 2 still 1/6. If the ilvl is so low that only 2 sockets are available, the chance of getting 2 is 5/6 with the chance for 1 being 1/6. That make sense? Sorry for not explaining it better before.

18. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Yeah forgot to add that this will not work with superior items :eek:

19. Duke HD

Duke HD IncGamers Member

Sorry if I got things wrong, I am not too much of a pro on socketing... The "superiour" confused me a good degree.

I stand by my opinion that it would be a cool Titan armour though !

20. Manolios

Manolios IncGamers Member

I have to admit that I was so overwhelmed with the huge defense number that I kind of overlooked the huge strength requirement.

So it seems like I should only make a stone if I'm going to make a titan character. I'm a bit of a packrat so selling it is out of the question ;) so stashing it is the only other viable option. I'm okay with that also.

The titan sounds like a lot of fun but I already have several new characters in the works. I guess I will just keep playing and if I happen to come across a lum then I'll look at the stone/titan option a little more.

I'm always amazed at how quick and helpful people are here. Thank you all for the advice. :clap: