Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

What Qualifies As A "ranged Attack?"

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by zhangief, Jun 7, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 8744

1. zhangief

zhangief IncGamers Member

There's a stat in the game "reduced damage from ranged attacks", which is kind of confusing because there are many attacks from range but I doubt all of them qualify as "ranged attacks".

Some in particular that can be confusing:

1. elemental attacks (mortar, fireballs, lightning from lit enchanted mobs, succubus arcane balls etc)
    2. channeling spells (arcane enchanted, fire chains, plague, desecration, molten etc)
    3. "frozen" mod on elite packs

Has anyone done testing on this stat? I'd like to get some clarification. Thanks.
  2. zhangief

zhangief IncGamers Member

buuummmppp
  3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Bump? Why? Your posting was on the top of the forum all the time. Bumping isn't allowed here BTW.

If nobody answers, then either nobody knows or nobody is currently in a mood to provide it. Diod you try googling for it? And if you found an answer, you could provide it here, so the next one with that question will benefit from it.
  4. Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle IncGamers Member

All attacks are either melee or ranged. Things that are obviously ranged are ranged. Ground effect damage (Plague, Molten, Desecrate, etc...) are considered melee damage. The more ambiguous stuff like lightning bolts on the ground I haven't tested.
  5. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

I know this is a thread necro (and the dude that answered hasn't been here in a month), but I have been searching for this such thing and cannot find it anywhere. Is there proof that Plague, Molten, Desecrate are considered melee, and if so, then arcane, mortar, electrfied are reduced by ranged? WTB RTB or Onderduiker for D3.
  6. Arirmind

Arirmind IncGamers Member

Still any confirmation about this? Is desecrate melee and arcane ranged or what?
  7. Kingu

Kingu IncGamers Member

Probably you could think of:
    "Range" anything that needs a vessel to deliver damage, like arrow,bolt , charged bolt.
    "Melee" the opposite, on ground damage like desecrate, plagued, frozen is just point with radius that does damage with graphic on top.

Or see what attacks are slowed by Wizzards Time Bubble, and those are ranged, anything else should be melee than.
  8. Arirmind

Arirmind IncGamers Member

ok.. so melee reduction is superior in PvE and ranged superior in PvP.