Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What kind of gear is more effective?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Holy Dude, Nov 5, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 1672

1. Holy Dude

Holy Dude IncGamers Member

PvP for PvM or PvM for PvP? Just wondering which one is better to handle each?
  2. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Items don't have tags on them that say "PvM" or "PvP." People can elect to use items for either, or both, or neither.
  3. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

That's his point exactly.

He wants to know whether gear used specifically for PvP or PvM can be used for the other.
    Effectively using a character for either without switching items on the spot.

And now he wants to know what the best option is:
    equipping a character with PvM specific gear, and also battling PvP with it.
    or equipping a character with PvP specific gear, and also go questing/mfing/boosting/... PvM with it.
  4. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

But like I said, items aren't "PvM" or "PvP." People are free to use any items for either purpose (barring agreed upon restrictions for PvP). There is no "PvP gear" or "PvM gear." There's just what people use or don't use for those purposes. There isn't any rule that items people use in PvM do or don't work in PvP, nor is there any rule that items people use in PvP do or don't work in PvM.

So the question of whether it is better to equip a character with "PvM specific gear" or "PvP specific gear" is meaningless because those categories do not exist.

However, it is well-known that it is entirely possible to beat the game with suboptimal gear. It's even possible to beat the game without equipping anything at all. So of course a character designed with PvP in mind can do PvM too, just not as well. Whereas a character designed with PvM in mind trying PvP and not doing as well is known as "losing."
  5. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Exactly!!

New people in D2, sometimes, seems to think that theres clear categories for whats PvP gear, or mf gear, or Bow Ama gear etc..

The answers are usually what people tend to find most effective for themselves.
    And people use different builds for the same purpose.
  6. Psychonautical

Psychonautical IncGamers Member

I don't think this is exactly fair to say that it is all up to the player. Yes, there is the obvious answer that each person will pick their preferred gear and nothing is strictly for one or the other, but there are obvious examples that apply here that I think do offer an objective answer:

For one, it is clearly bad-mannered 99% of the time to use Life Tap in PvP. For this reason alone, I would answer that PvM for PvP is better just based on the reasoning that using a melee character that is geared for PvM would very likely have Life Tap, resulting in a very hard-to-kill player.

Another example would be the rarely-used but nonetheless existent Doom runeword, where again, the bad mannered rule would apply to PvP. Thus a PvM build that used Doom, as rare as it would be, would have an edge against most melee opponents.

On the flip side, while PvP typically goes for pure damage, this has an adverse effect when you consider the absence of Crushing Blow that many PvP builds have. This fact alone makes numerous melee builds for PvP VERY weak for PvM by comparison.

Then again, these examples almost exclusively apply to non-caster builds. That may be an exception, as a Hammerdin build for example will likely focus on Cast Rate and have slightly lower damage, but the increased cast rate will result in more stun and comparable damage per second. So caster PvP builds may be the exception to the PvM usage for this reason alone.

If I had to pick, I would say that regarding melee builds, PvM builds are more effective in PvP than PvP would be to PvM, but it is the opposite regarding caster builds. I am open to disagreements and criticisms in this claim, but I stand by it for now.
  7. Holy Dude

Holy Dude IncGamers Member

Thanks. Mainly I asked because I wasn't sure what kind of Smiter would do best in PVM AND PVP. and I have an uber Smiter.
  8. Psychonautical

Psychonautical IncGamers Member

I'd imagine a smiter for PvP would be almost identical to PvM with the exception of Dracul's Grasp or the inclusion of an Exile and of course barring any opponent-specific gear (T-God's for stacked lightning resist, for example.)

A Paladin with this setup:

Crown of Ages
    Chains of Honor
    Herald of Zakarum (Upped) or a Spirit Elite Paladin Shield
    Grief Phase Blade
    Raven Frost
    Bul Katho's Wedding Band or Rare Ring with needed stats
    War Traveler or Gore Rider
    Bloodfist or any gloves depending on IAS needs
    Thundergod's Vigor/Verdungo's Hearty Cord/Credendum depending on resist/DR% needs

... should fair pretty well versus players and monsters alike. Of course, there is a severe lack of crushing blow for PvM here, and tweaks could be made to make it effective for both situations.