Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

[Guide] What items to lvl with - guide ish

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by kamap, Sep 12, 2012. | Replies: 19 | Views: 4684

1. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Remember the good old days of D2, when you had a main character to farm with and you farmed your starting gear for a new character, having your gear ready to go quickly to the desired lvl with no much hassle.

I think everyone had a[SIZE=-1] hsarsus set,[/SIZE] sigon's set, civerbs cudgel and the like lying around for when they wanted to start a new character.

With D3 you can just go to the ah and buy anything that you need to lvl a character, but that costs some gold and wouldn't it be nifty to go to the AH once and get lvling gear that every class can use up to a point, where you do need to go into more specific gear.

So I'm making a list with sets and legendaries what I think would be usable, but feel free to comment and post your own thoughts.
    Alot of people will probably know this already but there will be some that will hopefully learn some new things.

the list:

I believe that with these items you can get any character to lvl 60 rather fast and with no hassle of constantly looking for new gear on the AH or using the items you find on the way, with all the +exp and %exp bonus you'll be way ahead of the lvling curve, I was lvl 52 when I started hell, with just doing the quests and not rerunning or doing full clears of anything.

First some things you should know.
    I tried making a list every class can use, so I didn't look at any specific class items.In the sockets you should put the primary stat gem for the class you are lvling, in the head ofcourse a ruby for %exp, in the weapon, LoH, more dmg, crit dmg (if you get to decent crit chance with the gear).

Items with random stats can sometimes spawn with -lvl req and you can start wearing them sooner then you are supposed to, a good example is goldwrap, so its good to keep an eye out for those items, especially at the higher levels, a lvl 60 weapon with -10 to lvl req is wearable at lvl 50 and that mostly means monsters that die quickly cause of the shear dmg some of those weapons have. (Thanks to Death StrikeR for the tip).

Something usefull for every class = vitality, attack speed, LoH, +exp, crit chance, life regen, pickup radius, extra health from globes (since its also for potions) and so on, I think you know what you find important.
    I used a shield for the extra survivability it gives, in the early lvl's its not really needed and you can certainly use 2 weapons, in the later lvl's it all depends on your play style and preference.

Follower:

I took the templar as a follower, for the healing, tanking and resource regen (really helps) and kitted him out with about the same weapons, shield, ring and amulet I used, socketed it all with str gems and LoH in weapon.
    As a ring a Puzzle Ring is fun, when he has the right lvl for it offcourse.

If you happen to have a 2nd Leoric's Signet preferable with strenght if using the templar you might want to give him one and test out if you get extra bonus exp from him. (You should get bonus exp from it but I'm not sure.)

If you happen to have a char that can farm a Hellfire Ring one with strenght would be nice if using the templar, else use which ever one your follower is best with or use a vitality one so you can easily switch it to another follower if you like to test them out without it having a stat on it that the follower can't really use (ok its mostly for the added exp, so it doesn't really matter, but everything helps).

lvl 1 - 20

You'll probably make it to lvl 20 with the stuff you find while lvling but here are some items that might make it a tad easier and faster, along the way.
    The desired mods to look out for on rares / magic's are offcourse: +exp, a socket where possible, vitality, runspeed on boots and anything else is gravy.

I believe its best to just have rare's / magic's stashed away (with the mods described above) that every class can use, but there are some legendary possibilities.

There are rares and magic's that you can wear at lvl 1, the next bracket of rares and magic's is at lvl 3, get some of those and they should last you till lvl 10, if you feel like you need some new equipment sooner do so.
    I tried to have 3 items per slot till lvl 20 when you can start wearing the "good" stuff.
    So I got a lvling kit at lvl 1-3 that I keep till around lvl 8-10 ish at around lvl 14-16 I switch to another kit and then at lvl 19-23 I have another kit (I'll probably wear some of that kit till lvl 60) and so on.

weapon: a rare under lvl 9 then use Genzaniku then a rare if it doesn't cut it for you till lvl 20-23
    shoulders: nothing low lvl, get a (few) rare(s) till lvl 20.
    chest: a (few) rare(s) under lvl 15 then use Aquila Cuirass till lvl 20.
    helm: a few rare(s) till lvl 16 then use Broken Crown till lvl 22.
    pants: a rare under lvl 9 then use Pox Faulds then a rare till lvl 22.
    boots: Rare under lvl 10 then The Crudest Boots then a rare till lvl 18 then use Lut Socks till lvl 22.
    gloves: a few rare(s) till lvl 16 then use Magefist till lvl 22.
    belt: Vigilante Belt then a few rare(s) till lvl 17-24 (-14 lvl req goldwrap) or lvl 25 (quick draw belt).
    bracers: a rare under lvl 8 then use Steady Strikers then a rare till lvl 23.
    off-hand: Nothing low lvl get a (few) rare(s) till lvl 22.
    amulet: Nothing low lvl get a rare, there aren't really good amulets till lvl 30-31 that any class can use.
    ring1: Nothing low lvl get a rare to lvl 14.
    ring2: If you happen to have a char that can farm a Hellfire Ring get one with vitality if not get a rare. (I'll post at the end how to farm a hellfire ring.)

lvl 20 - lvl 33 ish (1 item equipable on lvl 14, 1 on 17 rest between lvl 20 and lvl 25)

With the next setup you will have +30 %exp from cain's set, some more +%exp from the ruby in the helmet, if you get your hands on a leoric's signet another +20-30 %exp, if you happen to have a Hellfire Ring its another +35 %exp, +exp per kill above 100, so thats good for fast lvling.
    You will also have alot of life and enough dmg to have a breeze in normal and a bit into nightmare.
    Some extra bonuses like run speed, mf, gf, attack speed, crit chance and such are also there, so you should have anything that you need.

weapon: Born's Searing Spite socket, or Odyn Son socket, +exp.
    shoulders: Born's Impunity vit, something usefull.
    chest: Born's Heart of Steel 2 sockets, something usefull.
    helm: Cain's Memory socket , extra vit and something every class can use.
    pants: Cain's Robes 2 sockets.
    boots: Cain's Sandals vit.
    gloves: Cain's Scribe attack speed.
    belt: goldwrap (-lvl req between 14 and 7).
    bracers: Gungdo Gear vit, 2 other things every class can use.
    off-hand: Wall of Bone socket.
    amulet: Squirt's Necklace vit, socket, other things that every class can use or any good rare.
    ring1: Leoric's Signet as high %exp you can get, rest doesn't matter.
    ring2: keep using Hellfire Ring with vitality if you happen to be able to get one / Nagelring / a rare.

Some of the items are rather hard (read expensive or time consuming) to get but most are easily attainable on the ah and wont cost you that much, Leoric's Signet stays good even after lvl 60 so if you ever find one, keep it like its your precious.

lvl 33 ish - lvl 42 ish

You only need 3/4 th of cain's set to keep the bonus, so you can switch out a piece.
    You only need 2/3 th of born's set to keep the bonus, so you can use another weapon and keep the bonus.

Usefull things are the same as before, just use whatever you need / want, I mostly go for vitality, attack speed, LoH, crit chance, +exp, pickup radius, gold find, extra health from globes, life regen and so on. Mostly in that order.

weapon: Pig Sticker socket + anything usefull.
    shoulders:Born's Impunity vit, something usefull / a rare.
    chest: Born's Heart of Steel 2 sockets, something usefull.
    helm: Cain's Memory socket , 2 usefull things.
    gloves: Cain's Scribe attack speed / Pendergrasps vit and 2 usefull things / a rare.
    belt: goldwrap (-lvl req between 14 and 7).
    bracers: Gungdo Gear vit, 2 other things every class can use / a rare.
    off-hand: Denial socket and something usefull.
    amulet: Rondal's Locket socket and something usefull.
    ring1: keep using Leoric's Signet as high %exp you can get, rest doesn't matter.
    ring2: keep using Hellfire Ring with vitality / Band of Untold Secrets socket and anything usefull.

lvl 42 ish - lvl 50 ish

I got trough nightmare with this setup and didn't have much problems killed diablo and dinged 52.

You only need 3/4 th of cain's set to keep the bonus, so you can switch out a piece.

weapon: Nutcracker socket and anything usefull (I would go for some extra LoH).
    weapon at lvl 47: Flesh Tearer socket, anything usefull (I would go for extra LoH again).
    shoulders: Aughild's Reign 2 usefull things.
    chest: Aughild's Dominion 2 sockets, 2 usefull things.
    helm: Aughild's Peak socket, anything usefull.
    belt: goldwrap (-lvl req between 14 and 7) / a rare.
    bracers: Aughild's Ultimatum 2 usefull things.
    off-hand: Denial socket and something usefull / a rare.
    amulet: Rondal's Locket socket and something usefull / a rare.
    ring1: keep using Leoric's Signet as high %exp you can get, rest doesn't matter.
    ring2: keep using Hellfire Ring with vitality / Band of Untold Secrets socket and anything usefull / a rare.

lvl 50+

weapon: Kill socket, something usefull (again extra LoH is a solid plan).
    shoulders: Aughild's Reign 2 usefull things / a rare.
    chest: Aughild's Dominion 2 sockets, 2 usefull things/ a rare.
    helm: Aughild's Peak socket, anything usefull / a rare.
    belt: String of Ears as high damage reduction as you can afford, vit, 2 usefull things.
    bracers: Aughild's Ultimatum 2 usefull things / a rare.
    off-hand: Centurion socket, anything usefull.
    amulet: The Flavor of Time socket, anything usefull.
    ring2: keep using Hellfire Ring with vitality / if you use a shield Justice Lantern else Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac.

How to obtain a hellfire ring:
    Here you can find some information on the hellfire ring and how to obtain it, I'll give a quick rundown.

The best is to do it with a couple of friends, you can set it on a higher monster power lvl (you can enable it in options) and have more chances for the required items to drop (+10% per monster lvl).
    You need to have 5 Nephalem valor stacks and be on inferno difficulty.

Act1 keys:
    Select the last quest. Go to the cemetary, clear the 3 crypts, you should have 5 NV if not go to the festering woods and find the two dungeons there, one left from the waypoint and one to the right of it.
    Go to the fields of misery and find the keywarden, kill him and repeat to you have at least 3 keys.

Act2 keys:
    Select the black soulstone quest, find the Vault of Assasins, get 5 NV in there, go to the oasis and find the keywarden, kill him and again repeat till you have 3 keys. Do not change or go on with the quest or change MP lvl if you want to start the game in VoA and be able to get 5 NV rather quick.

Act3 keys:
    Select the last quest. Go down in the keep and get 5 NV there, go to stonefort, find the keywarden, kill him and againt repeat till you have 3 keys.

Act4 plan: Select last quest, go hunt for 5 NV but don't go into Silver Spire Level 1, when you have 5 NV, find the keywarden in the Silver Spire Level 1 kill him and repeat till you have a plan.

Start a act1 game, make the 3 infernal machines, go to the cemetary for 5 NV, go into the Heretic's Abode (located just behind Brother Malachi the Healer) open a portal by using one of the infernal machines.
    kill the bosses and hope an organ drops, repeat till you have 3 portals up and killed every boss in them, if NV is running out go and refresh it in the festering woods for example, or the manor. Keep doing this till you have 3 different organs.
    Make an act 2 game and go to Squirt the Peddler, buy the plan for 2 million gold (if I'm not mistaken), teach it to your jeweler (which needs to be lvl 10), make your ring and enjoy!

I hope somebody has any use of this list. I'll probably tweak it some more, when I lvl another char, I don't know when that will be though.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Re: What items to lvl with (guide ish)

The blacksmith also makes good cheap gear at low levels. If forget which formula but a socketed helm is really good early on.
  3. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Good point, a helm with vit, +exp and a socket under lvl 16 (then you can get the brrken crown with a socket) is certainly good to speed up lvling.

With the 20+ setup I rushed trough act2 everything died in a few seconds (2 maybe 3 attacks) if they weren't one shotted, except for bosses offcourse, belial died before he could do his bomb / meteor thing though.
    I'm now lvl 28 and finished quest 1 in act3 with ease, so i guess that setup will get me trough a big part of act3 if not all the way to the end.

I'm checking the legendaries and it seems around lvl 30 ish there are some upgrades again, will have to find out what works. I will probably keep wearing the cain's set till it starts to get ridiculous to wear it, the +30% exp is just to amazing to pass up on.
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I think using Cain's set could be optimal even to level 60 if you can get equipment that is nice enough for your other slots - particularly after/if you get a sick -level requirement weapon. 30% bonus experience is simply enormous. I'm kinda sad that I don't have any need to level another alt. :(
  5. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Edited the list slightly.
  6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think all you need is a series of weapons with decent dps and from L50 on or so, a few hundreds of LoH. Beyond that, you can use whever you find. You might want to leave everything on the ground to save time and use something from your stash instead, but acquiring the above items probably needs more time than you save.

Besides, as soon as you have one of each character, there's no need to start further ones, so investing further efforts into leveling gear is of a limited value, but that might be a matter of rational considerations versus what's fun for you, so I would understand it if my concerns are regarded as missing the point :).
  7. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Since I didn't and still don't have my 5 classes yet I thought, what would make it easier and faster to lvl the rest of my characters to lvl 60, then I remembered having a lvling kit for magic users and melee users in diablo 2.
    The starting kit was always the same: Hellforge Hammer, hsarus's set, sigon's set, civerb's cudgel, are things I remember from the top of my head and in later lvl's it would change a bit till you get to the high lvl's and could start wearing your end gear, it made the game so much easier and lvling so much more fun (for me at least), that I wanted to find something similar in D3, hence this list.

Offcourse you can lvl with anything you find and you only need some really good weapons, cause they will take you far.
    Putting too much effort into acquiring these items is silly but if you can get these items rather fast with not too much effort it will certainly speed things allong.

I have everything from the +lvl 20 list except the leoric's signet and it took me less then an hour and under 400k gold using the AH, if you wanna get this gear on your own without using the AH it is indeed a gigantic task and not worth it.

So acquiring the above items didn't take me more time / effort then doing a very very torough and slow act 1 farming run.
    Lvling 1 character from 0 to 60 or a bit of farming late hell or early inferno with said character should net you enough gold to buy you a lvling set for your next characters.

The +30% exp from cain's plus the 21% ruby in the helm and the +exp from the other items will shave off more then an hour of my lvling time, not counting all the time I win by not having to indentify items, deciding if its worth using or not.
    Just beeing able to reach a lvl, put on some new gear and keep on hacking away.
    Not reaching a point where it all slows down cause you need some new gear and aren't really finding something usefull, then decide to go shop at the ah.
    Reaching lvl 60 a few hours faster, gives me more time to farm, more time to lvl another character, since I have limited play time, beeing married and redoing our house, trying to make a baby and all.
    All this combined made the money and time spent on getting this gear worthwhile, at least for me.

Maybe some other people take away something usefull from it.

ps: The fastest lvling can be reached by using the highest ruby which is 31% if I'm not mistaken, a perfect leoric's signet which is 30% and the cain's set which is also 30%, its a wopping +91% exp from everything, so if you have +100 exp on items its actually +191 exp.
    It almost halves the time you need to lvl if you can keep using those items till lvl 60 offcourse else it would be 61%, you wont use the cain's set but the ring and ruby are definatly worth it to keep using them even above lvl 60 for paragon lvling. Yes you do read correctly % its not a fixed amount its %.
  8. krischan

OK, it seems we have a completely different play style. I haven't made any MF at all so far and I just brought my fourth character to L60. I will certeinly play the game in a different manner at a later time and if that involves new characters, your guide is certainly very useful.
  9. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

I brought my monk till lvl 60 then took a break from my monk waiting on 1.0.4 and lvled a DH, played my monk some more when 1.0.4 hit and now I'm starting to lvl my WD, wiz and barb, WD and wiz are both lvl 28 now, barb is lvl 12, I'm lvling my WD with a friend though, so he is lvling slower, cause we aint online at the same time much.
  10. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Made changes.
  11. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Made a whole lot of changes.
  12. krischan

I had to remove the brackets from the thread title because of a forum bug which produces an "access denied" error when clicking on a title like that.
  13. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Maybe worth mentioning the Hellfire ring. It's probably the biggest boost to levelling of any item in the game. It has no level req but can have ilvl 63 stats as well as +35%exp. Try a Hellfire ring with +34-57 damage for a level 1 char :)
  14. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Thanks krischan.
    Added the hellfire ring in, just needing a link show one, but it is not in the game guide yet.
  15. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

16. Death_StrikeR

Death_StrikeR IncGamers Member

To add to your guide, once you reach level 40ish~, look for items (esp. weapon) with reduced level requirements.
    Even with the crappiest weapon in 60s, but if it has -10 level reqs, its a VERY much help in quickly dishing out monsters.
  17. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Added in the hellfire ring, now with a link.
    Added in the -lvl req items.
  18. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

Before lvl 42 : Play with what you find, maybe upgrade the weapon every 10 levels.

At and over lvl 42 : find a 900+ dps weapon with "reduces level requirement by 18" and use it for all classes to oneshot everything up to inferno.
  19. Death_StrikeR

Death_StrikeR IncGamers Member

As what Twoflower said, it can go over up to 18, I forgot to mention that -10 is an average but it can go over past that, but much rarer and expensive (if the seller values it).

As long if its around 700-800ish dps, it can be cheap even with -10~ level reduction.
  20. Causa

Causa IncGamers Member

I've only leveled barb and WD to 60 and started wondering what weapon(s) could be used by most classes to level up easily.
    How about 2h crossbow with insane dmg with big reduced level req? That could be used by Wizard, WD and hunter at least and then with barb & monk you could but it on Scroundel for some help on dmg.

A Godly 1-hander ofcourse would help with many classes but not with DH.
    I'm just thinking this since I would like to level also Wizard and DH at some point. Perhaps would be better to buy separate weapons for them but this might provide some decent information for other new people leveling their alts.

So, any ideas you have on this?

-Causa

Edit--
    So, not too many answers on subject but I just realised that there are several skills on DH that wouldn't require a ranged weapon (Haven't played DH so didn't think about this way).
    This opens up a way that you can (and should) buy a great dps 1-hander and shield that all classes can use. A shield with high vita and high dps weapon allows you to run through mobs quite recklessly.
    I think it doesn't matter much if you have any stats on that 1-hander since you can equip all other slots with vita cos dps is so huge from that weapon.
    So the skills Demon Hunter can use are at least these I think:
    Grenades
    Chakram
    Impale
    Vault + Action Shot Rune
    Fan of Knives
    Spike Trap
    Companion
    Marked for Death
    Sentry
    Rapid Fire + Bombardment Rune
    Strafe + Stinging Steel Rune
    Strafe + Demolition Rune

Haven't tested that som it's possible that all doesn't work or that there is more.

-Causa
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012