Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is this?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by zaphodbrx, Mar 9, 2012. | Replies: 11 | Views: 1191

1. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

What is this?

Today, I was playing my sorc, and I got hit by something I've never seen before

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What is this?
    It seems to do tremendous amounts of damage, even in normal mode? Though to be honest I am kinda liking being afraid of something in the normal mode, as otherwise even on p8 I am pwning everything.
    Items are twink gear, SOVM, frostburns, peasant crown, razorswitch etc.

I've been playing for > 6 months, not seen anything like this before..
  2. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

Re: What is this?

It's Blood Mana curse. Succubi, Stygian Furies and Baal will cast it if you have as much or more Mana than Health. It will cause you to take as much damage as the spell you cast costs Mana.
  3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Baal casts it, too IIRC.
  4. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

Oh my.. Normally, having more health than mana prevents you from getting this curse, I havent seen this curse since patch 1.09, and thats a LONG time. Baal casts this indeed.
    As it causes you to "pay" health for your spells, try not to invest too much in energy and get some +health gear.
  5. zaphodbrx

Ok got it. I took off the frostburns and it seemed to solve the problem.
    I didn't put any points in energy ( whoever does ?). All the mana is from gear, can't get enough of it,even with insight.

The weird thing is I'm sure there must have been situations before where life < mana, but I just haven't seen that. Perhaps it has to do with max life vs max mana? But then I noticed that even when max life < max mana, they cast defense lowering curse if my current health was > mana.

Also, am I correct in thinking this would cause ES sorcs to crash and burn? I'd been thinking mana burns were going to be the problem, but this seems a lot worse. Not that I play pvp, but it seems like ES is exclusively a PvP ability.
  6. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

It is about as problematic for ES sorcs as poison, maybe a little more. It isn't as bad as manaburn, which can mean near-instant death.
  7. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

It was max mana vs max life in 1.09, not sure if this was changed.
  8. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

This curse (along with bugged manaburn) is the reason why I statted some life with my ES sorc. I currently have ~1k life and 2,7k mana. I rarely need the life, but when I do I'm glad it's there. I do wish Blizz would fix the manaburn bug; it's only been in the game for like 10 years lulz. (Iirc manaburn sucks 256x the intended amount of mana, meaning it takes all mana even if you have 5k. :doh:)
  9. zaphodbrx

Manaburn is bugged?
    As far as I know, any hit by a manaburn monster basically blows out the mana pool instantly. What is the 'intended' amount?
  10. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Blood Mana is a massive PITA for my Nova sorc :<

RE Mana Burn:

11. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Succubi cast Blood Mana on a target (and any other target within its radius) if its maximum mana >= maximum life. While testing, when maximum mana < maximum life but maximum or current mana > current life, Succubi cast Defense Curse; when maximum mana > maximum life but current mana < maximum or current life, Succubi still cast Blood Mana.

The only time your Sorceress won't have Blood Mana cast upon her when maximum mana >= maximum life is when Succubi target and thus cast Defense Curse on your mercenary first, and your Sorceress is within its radius.

Energy Shield does not apply to life lost due to Blood Mana: casting spells may rapidly reduce your life but mana won't be reduced unless you take damage.

12. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

the game is quite easy allready

if I had to chose, I wish blizzard would fix the FEND bug + that 1 runeword that does not work because there is a typo in the game files + maybe make endlesshail bow's strafe work for all classes + fix the NM travi bug, becasue 5k barbs can die there..