Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is the safest and fastest class to farm Act1 MP1 (budget)?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by galtzaiLe, Sep 3, 2013. | Replies: 21 | Views: 3467

1. galtzaiLe

galtzaiLe IncGamers Member

Hello all, I'm an old D2 SP player that just started to play D3 in Hardcore mode. So far I'm doing ok, but I was wondering if I can have advice on what would be the "best" class to farm Inferno Act1 MP1 without godly gear. I noticed that several of the suggested class / specs requires several hundred millions to gear up.

I realize that there is "no best class" whatsoever, so that said, what would be the safest and fastest class to farm Act1 MP1 on a low budget in your opinion?

Thank you very much and sorry for my lousy English
  2. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Search the Barbarian strategy forum for a Run like the wind (nado) whirlwind barb. By far the easiest class build to farm on a budget.

sent from my GalaxySIII
  3. Goffe

Goffe IncGamers Member

yeh barb is good because they get -30% damage for being melee but so does monk also and monks have a Near death experience skill that lets you cheat death so i would say monk.
    the barbarien run like the wind build isnt very safe i think since you will be attracting a lot of monsters using it.
  4. galtzaiLe

Thank you very much for your replies. I managed to get a Wizard and a Monk to 60, but I still feel that my damage / resistances are not enough for Inferno MP1. I'm slowly grinding my way, as upgrades are extremely costly for my at the moment.
  5. Goffe

Goffe IncGamers Member

Barb is the most popular class in the game so getting items for a barb would be even more expensive than for monk. Wiz is in my opinion the 2nd cheapest to gear after DH.
    You should add some people from this forum to play with. They will be able to carry you a bit and maybe even have some freebies.
  6. galtzaiLe

Thank you for your advice. I just posted my contact info on the sticky. I would love to play with some nice people (just came to the game, have next to zero friends on my flist).
  7. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

I don't know about that. I've spent way less on my barb than on my wizard, but the barb can play pretty comfortably in MP4, while the wiz is stretched beyond MP3. The barb has such fantastic passives and skill choices that getting one that can farm on MP1 will be pretty cheap. If you have deficiencies in your gear, you can make up for it with skill choices. You don't have to build a Spin-to-Win, either, as HoTA is a viable build as well. I tend to agree with tougeznut; barb will be cheap (for MP1).
  8. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Barb is hands down the most hardy (durable) character. The Barb has the best skill based life restore set of any of the characters. The Whirlwind/nado build is definitely not the safest though. It is the "fastest" at leveling speed. You are not going to have "fastest" and "safest" in one build. Since we are playing HC, I think safest is more important than fastest.

If you want a really tanky (safe) build, honestly I think you should look at the skill layout I'm using on my barb.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ZappaFan-1229/hero/35026234

To be extra safe change out the Ruthless passive for Tough As Nails. I'm getting life restored from multiple sources: Rend/Bloodlust, Revenge, & Inspiring Presence (as well as Life on Hit from gear). Using this skill set you can do MP1 runs in Act 1 with fairly cheap gear.
  9. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I feel kinda dumb now... I'm using my phone, so I didn't see that this was posted in HC. Yea, spin-to-win isn't great for HC. It's a much safer option to follow Zappa's advice. He's gotten one (almost two) barbs up to plvl 100 in HC. He kinda knows barbs... :)

sent from my GalaxySIII
  10. galtzaiLe

I just hit 60 with my barb and bought him some nice gear. I feel confident now to step into Inferno MP0 now, although I'm afraid it won't be enough for MP1 yet (I'm completely broke, spent all my gold on his shinny stuff... time to farm now).

Here's my barb: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Xour-1678/hero/35697272

Thank you all!
  11. Azbaz

Azbaz IncGamers Member

galtzaiLe, I hit 60 with my barb three days ago and my gear is kinda on your level. I'm running this "safer" version of the WW build: http://www.diablo3ladders.com/hero/azbaz-2829/eu/30090546
    Works pretty well! I'm still running on mp0 though. Need to boost my dps a bit before trying mp1!
  12. Goffe

Goffe IncGamers Member

i think you should run with Sprint - run like the wind. it will be your major DPS output for sure.
  13. jrsilva

jrsilva IncGamers Member

Why not a WD? It can get to high damage with lowish gear and it has some mean passives, both for boosting damage and for cheating death. I love barbs but I must admit I would make a WD for budget farming...
  14. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

OK, let me chip in: a DEMON HUNTER!

OK not really ;)
  15. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Depends on what you want to farm, items or Exp?

If you look for items I think a TR monk that only kills elite packs will net you most rare/legendary items per hour.

If you want to farm Exp I think Barb or WD will net you most Exp.

Example of TR monk I built that just hunts elite packs, get crazy amount of rares/legendary per hour doing Act2, MP1, VotA, Canyon, Oasis. I kill 0 trash though so the Exp is growing very slowly.

http://d3up.com/b/826410/tr-monk

With Blinding Flash and 7-sided Strike you do not need alot of DPS to quickly kill the elite packs. Pop them both, then finish with a bell or two if they still are alive.
  16. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Hmm, less exp is less legendaries in the end? Wiht my close to 50 paragon monk and some decent MF from items I've really kicked off in terms of legendaries (on MP4). I feel the increase is FAR more than lineair, up to P30 I got an occasional legendary but lately they drop like flies, I'd say about every 30 minutes :D Or I'm on a really lucky streak :)
  17. galtzaiLe

Thank you all for your replies!

@jrsilva: A friend of mine (who started to play with me) died yesterday so I started a WD to play with his new character. So far I'm impressed with the damage I'm doing and how safe it is. Let's see how it fares in Inferno.

@Mn_Swe2: I prefer farm for items, as I'm quite broke and I'm always looking to improve my characters gear.
  18. galtzaiLe

Well... I just lost my barb to a elite pack of knockback, frozen, shielding and arcane. It was too much to handle with my cooldowns down. It was really painful, as I had invested almost all of my savings on him (even bought a Maximus for the Enchantress). Oh well, it happens..

I guess Witch Doctor it is.
  19. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

If you play high MP's (>6) most of your legends will come from trash. If you play low MP's (<6) most of your legends will come from elites.
    Moldran made an extensive video covering that, and it is based on the fact that higher MP gives a higher chance for the "bonus" drop from every monster you kill. IIRC they breakpoint is around MP6 or so.

So it is not as easy to say that more exp gives you more legends (which of course is true since you can not get a legend without getting exp), but depending on if you play high or low MP's you should focus on trash or elites if you want to maximize item drops. (high mp = trash, low mp = elites). :)
  20. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Interesting, was not aware of this. Fact is though that MF rises with paragon which rises with EXP.

I just did a complete A1 MP4 run without a single legendary, blah me with my big mouth :)

PS Rip Galt, sometimes fate helps decide the direction :p