Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What I want to know before I start playing

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Aznagroth, Apr 29, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 1412

1. Aznagroth

Aznagroth IncGamers Member

What I want to know before I start playing

Some of my questions will be easy to answer and some might be a bit harder. I also think that some questions might not be possible to answer before the game hits.

At the moment I am playing d3 Beta and some questions keep nagging at me:

Where can I check what level the zone I'm in is and related to this, what level are the monsters in the zone?

Does my gf/mf work when others pop the chest/barrels/corpses and what about when they do the killing?

Will there be a maximum amount of $ I can sell an item for on RMAH? It looks to me like there is a cap on the amount of money that can be stored in the battlenet balance. I guess there is or should be a thread on it's own discussing how such a cap would affect trading.

Will primary stat + dps on weapon be the affixes to maximize? Will there be other affixes able to compete? This of course relates to what prices will be on items on the AH.

Edit1: Is there a trick to how treasure pygmys work? Do you want to kill them fast or slow? Are they able to get away if you stop attacking them?

Edit2: How will increased attack speed work? Will it work for magic attacks too or just for physical? Will there be any equivalent for spells? Will there be breakpoints or a linear scale?

There are probably some questions I have forgotten to ask. I might edit them in later. For now I just post these questions here to keep this for the world to see. Thanks in advance for any contributions.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Re: What I want to know before I start playing

Zone level? No idea.

gf/mf is averaged between all party members in a game for all drops, as far as I know.

Max sell amount: Yes, but I don't know what that particular amount is.

Best stat? Who knows?

3. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

There is nothing in the game that shows you that.

Yes. Drops are rolled per player, regardless who opened or killed something. Everyone gets their own items when they drop and the other players can't see them or pick them up.

Also, just so you know, your magic find is averaged out among all the players in multiplayer games.

The answer is: We don't know.

What affixes you want depends on your build. Primary stats may be desirable, but so might healing and resource boosters, magic find, +skills, defensive bonuses, etc.

Gear Affixes aren't mutually exclusive to each other.

4. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

One small note here: Stats that directly add to weapon damage can also be found on jewelry, are inherent bonuses to some off-hand items, and presumably can be on any set/legendary item type. All of these directly contribute to weapon damage and are multiplied by damage formulas in the same way +damage affixes on weapons are.

But yes, I do think that weapons are going to be the most expensive items by far. There are 8 armor slots and 3 jewelry slots (9 if you're using a shield), and no armor slot is likely to have as big of an impact on your gameplay as your weapon.

5. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Just go to the zone with the waypoint and see for yourself, it only takes a few seconds. :p

6. Aznagroth

I'm sorry, but how do I see that when I got to a waypoint? I haven't noticed the monster or area levels showing up anywhere. In d2 finding out that some areas in the early acts were actually lvl85 surprised me a lot the first time a saw it. Especially the mausoleum (or was it crypts? I know one was 85 the other 83)

7. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Oh no that's not what I meant. I meant going to the area yourself. Diablo 3 isn't really level dictated like WoW. If you can handle an area in D3 than you can handle it, regardless of it's level. Anyway I have a very hard time thinking you'll not know how hard an area is in D3 since you'll play through them all.

8. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

It's a legitimate question, related not to "difficulty" but to maximizing your XP gain. I believe the formulas in D3 compare your level to mlvl, as in D2. One nice thing in Path of Exile is that you can see that stat from either the world map or when the zone map is showing, and I tend to refer to it a lot.

I'm sure there will be plenty of sites on the Internet, including this one, that will give you that info though :)

9. Aznagroth

What I tried to show with the mausoleum example was that some areas can be quite easy even though they can drop the very best items in the game. There were a few items only droppable by baal and some runes only dropped in later acts, but comparig difficulty to reward mausoleum was the best, but it was too small, which made the pit even better because of it's size.

Srikandi is right about the thoughts behind the question. I'm interested in this kind of information because it will tell me two things. Where to level and where to search for items. I do suspect that doing questruns for xp will be more lucrative until max lvl and I also think that bossruns will be the kickstart we all want to get faster to the next difficulty. However knowing the monster/area level will help you make the decision on when to go on. Too good gear can make you go kill monsters that are way too high level for you and thus reducing xp/time.

It would also be interesting to know if they have done as in d2 where monsters in normal had a certain level no matter where they were and in nm and hell the monster level was decided by area.

10. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Not unless the devs have failed... they've said many times they want to prevent this. Bosses only drop their best items once per char/difficulty, so repeated bossruns are NOT the best way to item find... random champ packs are the way to go. I am not sure about XP but I think it is the same.

No idea about monster levels, that's a good question :)

11. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

There doesn't appear to be any trick that gets you more or less treasure from them. They are bugged at the moment in that the gold they drop is visible to everyone and the first one to get to the gold gets it. That will be patched after release apparently so that everyone gets there own gold from them.

If you stop attacking them for too long they open a portal and escape through it.

12. Arcanae

Arcanae IncGamers Member

Regarding Area level, you can't see area level of a zone through the game, it is only visible if you datamine or look through the datamined info on sites, but isn't visible ingame.

13. direfire

direfire IncGamers Member

It's a question from someone who plan to make som $$$.
    Good for you!

14. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

You should be able to get a reasonable idea of the monster levels by looking at the level restrictions for the related quest when you search for a public game. I think it's safe to assume that average between the max and the min level allowed will be close to the average monster level you will encounter during the quest.

15. Aznagroth

That is a good suggestion galzohar :)

@direfire: You seem to be into the $ part of the game. Do you know where we will be able to find price guides? I bet those will be quite useful for making good use of the RMAH.