Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

What Diablo 3 did right. And how to make it better.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Vooodu, Apr 24, 2013. | Replies: 27 | Views: 2539

1. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

Like alot of fans of D2, i was simply amazed at how much D3 strayed from the path of D2. To me, D3 is not even a RPG, its an Action Arcade game. Hell, D3 is more like DOTA2 than D3. And if thats the the case they should go full action instead of holding on to itemzation in hopes AH income.

So, instead of *****ing about how bad D3 is compared to D2 or any other true RPG. I want to only focus on positives and what they can do to make the game better.

This game has amazing combat. Its liek and arcade adventure that feels like DOTA. Which is what they should focus on.

------------------------------------------

1.) Damage balance for players.

If this game is gonnna be 100% action based there is simply no reason for any players tbe doing so much damage and others doing so little.. This only divides the player base based on DPS and removes the fun from the game.

I noticed this when playing with my girlfriend and a few friends 'self-found'. We all had around the same amount of DPS which was about 40 000 at that point. Playing at MP1. Now, the moment we open to public and some kid comes in with 200 000dps the game became a snore.

Weapons should not scale so high. Neither should CRIT. 100 Damage should be the highest damage for 1 handers while 200 should be the highest for 2 hands.

---------------------------

2.) Remove monster Power. Balance player damage and stop dividing the player base. Focus only on the action.

I noticed when i started to play the game again MP made multiplayer a ghost town. Which is wrong. Its nothing but a band-aid for out of control DPS stats. And 10 lvls means 10 MP lvls x 4 acts = alot of seperation. While MP 0 is a snore fest.

-----------------------

3.) Items.

Weapons should not scale so high. Neither should CRIT.

-100 Damage should be the highest damage for 1 handers while 200 should be the highest for 2 hands.

-Remove weapon lvl req. Since all weapons can only roll to 100-200 damage there is simply no reason to have to wait for anything. Lets focus on action and tweaking instead.

-Crit Damage highest roll on items is 5% While crit chances highest roll on items is 5%.

- IAS only works for weapons. Bring back cast speed for casting ablities.

- 'MAGIC' damage mod now only works for casting abiltites. No longer willl caster rely on base weapon damage for skills. It now relys on a new mod Called "MAGIC" damage which only spawns on Caster weapons. This would remove the stupid concepts of Wizards/WD running around with melee weapons.

Balanced damage output would mean balanced FUN PVM and PVP.

--------------------------

4.) Random Stuff

-Bring back Monsters with immune/resist certain kinds of damage. Wether its cold, fire etc.

-Remove lvl req for skills. Open them ALL UP right off the bat. Once you pick your skills you can NOT change them.. EVER. Unless you start a new character. This promotes some sort of character building which D3 lacks. No more skill swapping.

-Let players choose what difficulty they want to start in wether its nrml, nightmare, hell or inferno. The only difference being. Normal is easy. Nightmare is advanced, Hell is hard and Inferno is Expert. With each diffculty having more EXP gains.

-Start a ladder with 3 month seasons. With special ladder only cosmetic rewards based of exp gains. :thumbup:

-Remove the auction house.

-Have vendors sell ever single Legendary in the game for a price.

-Give the abilty to players to re-roll items for a price.

-Let players CHOOSE how they want to allocate attributes.

-Every level gained adds 1% to over all damage output. So, by lvl 100 you will have 100% damage increase.

Now, none of these ideas will probably ever happen. But i can't help but think if they did this the game would be alot more FUN.

Now, to shove this down blizzards throat. :soapbox:
  2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Too many ideas to comment on them all, but I think D3's lacking item system is mostly about over simplification. I agree that monster resistances and immunities should come back, I want casting speed rather than IAS (and CD and CC, ec) for every class, I want more items useful for specific builds, I don't like that the exact same reasons no one used 2H weapons in D2 carried over to D3, etc.

But I don't see how imposing hard caps on affixes, or reducing the spread of potential damage from items, or removing monster power, would help. Those are simplifications and things to make everyone's play experience the same, which is exactly the wrong way to go. Games like D3 need to support a wide variety of play styles and options, and if you simplify the top end gear and remove MP, hardcore players would get bored very quickly with easy difficulty and little item variety or room to upgrade.
  3. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

If you want a "real RPG", just play some baldur's gate.
    Also, the MOBA genre being as arcade as diablo 3 is like comparing a habanero pepper to a chocolate milkshake... Just because the game is an isometric hack 'n slash does not make it arcade.

Now, the list of the ideas and my replies

-remove monster power

no

-weapons should not scale so high neither should crit

if damage is capped as much as you suggest, the game becomes retarded to play. it will take 5 hours to kill a single elite pack on mp0, so no

-remove wep lvl req

this serves no real function. we already have leveling items, we do not need every single item in the game to be usable at any level. also, this would make reduced item lvl req mod obsolete.

-cap crit damage to 5%

way too much.

- IAS only works for weapons. Bring back cast speed for casting ablities.

bleh. increased attack speed already fills both of the roles for these suggested mods.
    Also, most of the abilities in the game are ATTACKING abilities, so a mod that increases you attacking speed is completely valid for both casting and melee moves.

- 'MAGIC' damage mod now only works for casting abiltites. No longer willl caster rely on base weapon damage for skills. It now relys on a new mod Called "MAGIC" damage which only spawns on Caster weapons. This would remove the stupid concepts of Wizards/WD running around with melee weapons.

no, this would make gearing up any characters even harder.
    balancing of damage output should be done via skill balancing and not via balancing items for each class.

-Bring back Monsters with immune/resist certain kinds of damage. Wether its cold, fire etc.

Resists could be okay. Immunities would be just stupid. imagine physical immunities VS a barbarian. that is just retarded.

-Remove lvl req for skills. Open them ALL UP right off the bat. Once you pick your skills you can NOT change them.. EVER. Unless you start a new character. This promotes some sort of character building which D3 lacks. No more skill swapping.

this was the very thing I wanted to personally get away from D2. also, people would just google the best build around and gear up for that, instead of trying out different builds and skills. and no, you can't try out endgame builds on a1 normal.

-Let players choose what difficulty they want to start in wether its nrml, nightmare, hell or inferno. The only difference being. Normal is easy. Nightmare is advanced, Hell is hard and Inferno is Expert. With each diffculty having more EXP gains.

the game already does this, in a way. also, monster power.

-Start a ladder with 3 month seasons. With special ladder only cosmetic rewards based of exp gains.

honestly, we already have ladders and seasons. ( http://www.diablo3ladders.com/ )

-Remove the auction house

nobody is forcing you to use it.

-Have vendors sell ever single Legendary in the game for a price.

this would make the less "legendary" than general rares and DESTROY the general itemization.

-Give the abilty to players to re-roll items for a price.

You already can. Its called farming.

-Let players CHOOSE how they want to allocate attributes

people will still just pump most of their points into offensive stats.

-Every level gained adds 1% to over all damage output. So, by lvl 100 you will have 100% damage increase.

did you save your best idea for last?
    because I think it's the only good idea you've presented yet :p
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

doublepost, sorry
  5. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

I responded in italics... Sorry if its hard to read.

[/QUOTE]
  6. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

Vooodu,
    Lets just agree that most all of your ideas are poorly thought out and bad and be done with it.
  7. clueso

clueso IncGamers Member

There are three things in which D3 disappointed me very much: 1) there are no builds 2) items are crap 3) the attribute system sucks....
  8. PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic IncGamers Member

Thread title misleading.... "What D3 did right." Ummm most of the OP had nothing but "And how to make it better."

Seems like a cliche 'D3 sucks and i know better than everyone how to make it awesome' thread.
  9. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Suffice to say, if your ideas were implemented, I'd probably never log in again. You clearly have a bone to pick with what you consider the unsatisfying PvP and public game PvM in the game, and while that's bully (or not so much...) for you, I actually like the parts of the game that have nothing to do with PvP or public game PvM, and wouldn't want the rest of the game ruined to appease your tastes.
  10. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

Why would i agree? My ideas are sound and pretty well thought out. This game is not a real ARPG. So, whats wrong with making it more action based and balancing it out? Whats even the point of playing D3 currently? I've found myself enjoying d3 again to to the simple fact that everyone i play with is sticking to almost the same DPS. So, alls this does is prove myself .

So, please, answer this.

Whats the reason to have DPS scale up so high?

Whats the reason to have melee and caster classes both using the same affix's/items?

Whats the reason as to why we can't have permanent skill choices and select where to allocate our attributes?

There is no way anyone can logically answer that question. Not with so many TRUE ARPG that that prove me right.

D3 has turned into more of a Gauntlet style game which is ruined by to much DPS. And as it stands DOTA2 has more RPG qualities about it. D3 is stuck with with what it wants to be while still trying to cling onto some features of Diablo 2.

Why do you think Team Death match was scrapped? Why do you think MP was added. The answer is clear.
  11. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

My bone to pick is balance. DPS is to unbalanced to make any sense at all.

It ruins pvp and pvm.

Unless you consider running through MP 0 with 200 000 dps fun. That is not what i consider a run action arcade game.

The need to find the sweet spot and make sure dps not not scale much higher from that spot.

The game is really fun when PVM and PVP battles last atleast over 30 seconds. One shotting is a problem in both pvp and pvm. If this game has great action based combat. Why ruin it with DPS?
  12. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

I don't, which is why I always play at an appropriate MP level. No one is making you play an MP level you don't enjoy.
  13. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

And thats the core problem tho. MP levels where made to let players choose the difficulty they want. But 10 lvls?

So then you get players choosing lower MP lvls for either face rolling farming while some choose higher MP lvls for a challenge.

IS there really any reason to have DPS scale so high? I can't think of any reason why it should. End result is players having a hard time finding other players in the same DPS range for the game to be any fun.

Same goes for pvp.

This game has a great combat engine. Why not build on it with a more balanced dps output? Which is basically what most of my post is about.
  14. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Because for me it's fun to progress across difficulties (i.e., MP levels)? I don't want to find other players in the same DPS range, I want to be left alone to play harder content so much as I can progress through it. It's only unbalanced because you're trying to get things out of it that you're not getting (people in the same DPS range, balanced PvP) -- I don't care about those things and it's fine for me.
  15. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Maybe if they removed sticky targeting and melee hitting you across the screen.
  16. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

So, leaving D3 as is a good thing because you are a proud loner? How does that even make sense?

If damage is balanced then then MP levels are not needed. You don't seem to be looking at the bigger picture i was trying to paint here.

Also, playing alone and not wanting find others to play with is boring. Being proud to be a loner maybe your choice, but im sure most people would rather play with others. ANd currently, DPS divides the player base in a very bad way. Im just sayin'.

The only case you you make is the need for offline mode.
  17. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

No, I'm saying your fixes are specifically a product of the very narrow things you want fixed, instead of things that would actually make the game more enjoyable for most people. You can rail on them all you want, but there's a pretty reasonable consensus of stuff that D3 actually would need to benefit at this point, and your mental and verbal gymnastics to justify "lol remove MP" "lol completely rework damage because I want to play with random people and waaaaaaaaaahhhhh sometimes they do too much DPS" is ridiculous.

If damage is balanced, then how do you progress in the game? If a fresh 60 in Inferno can kill an elite pack in 1 minute (which would be really lame), how long will it take in terms of gear upgrades to get that character to kill an elite pack in 10 seconds? In 1 second? And once they're killing it in one second, why bother playing? Then you need to create a new mode/higher difficulty, and then we're right back to the MP system. You see that, right? The bigger picture is that you want to play pub games and have balanced PvP, and are salty because those things aren't to your liking. Is that right?

I don't really care about being a loner or not -- there are plenty of things I'm okay with playing multiplayer, co-op or not. I'm just saying, instead of taking D3 for what it is and trying to work within the confines of what it is in order to make suggestions, you're reinventing the wheel because you're bitter that sometimes people can do a lot of damage and that somehow ruins your fun.
  18. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

response in itali/bold

I don't know why I wasted my time I resort back to my original response. This thread is irrational and bad sorry.
    Oh and if you can't find public games in your dps range you aren't trying very hard.
  19. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

Ridiculous is your response...:crazyeyes:

As if im crying about 'other' people doing way to much damage. Seriously? Thats NOT what i posted or what i meant. But since you play alone and live in a bubble id hardly expect you to understand anything.... But il try again.

Im SAYING that DPS splits the players base up and completely destroys balance in PVM and PVP. Which is 100% true.

This hurts PVM and it hurt PVP. Which is 100 true.

Also, i won`t comment on the rest of your post because you completely missed the point... It seems you are content with an unbalanced arcade game pretending to be an ARPG.

:thumbup:
  20. Vooodu

Vooodu Banned

So 11 MP lvls... x 4 acts = Alot of spread on the player base.. Thats my actual point.. It makes no sense to have such a wide range of DPS. Its bad game design.

I mean, after spending all night playing Marvel Heros. A game with ARPG qualitys with a focus more on arcade style combat and balance its exactly what D3 could use. Who ever the guy behind Marvel Heros is, blizzard should hire him... lulz.