Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What class AND build would you recommend to someone like me? der=0

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Banglafish, Mar 29, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 1514

1. Banglafish

Banglafish IncGamers Member

What class AND build would you recommend to someone like me?

Hello, to the community of incgamers.com. I've been playing Diablo 2 for a long time, but I've never really reached any end-game stages within the game. The farthest that I've reached in the game was Lut Gholein, and that was with a shape shifting Druid. My brother used to play this game as well, but he had a hybrid Barbarian instead. I would just watch him play and whack things in his path with his Barbarian all day long, so I've started to develop a liking to Barbarians really. Also, I'm really "pro" when it comes to melee classes.:wink: Any game that I play, I usually go for the melee classes, because they just always seem to be easier to manage. So anyways, I want to know which class is best for someone who's going to actually finish the game for the first time, like me? Also, it'd really help if you suggested me a build that's both good at PvM and PvP. It doesn't have to be an overkill build or anything, just a well-rounded build. Also, I have no money at all on me, so I'll just build up my wealth as i go along the stages of the game. So what do you suggest that I should pick?
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: What class AND build would you recommend to someone like me?

I suggest an IK barb with a WW build. Combine it with Highlord's, Ravenfrost and a rare ring with life leech and maybe a bit mana leech as well. That's probably the cheapest melee build for soloing the game... which I actually did a couple of times..

Sockets: Something with 30% IAS in the weapon, That's how much you need for maximum speed WW with that weapon and only on-weapon IAS counts for it. Before putting anything into the weapon which is worth more than shael or plain IAS jewels, take care that it has 40% CB, the maximum amount. Helm+armor: Either ptopazes or %dmg jewels, that's a matter of choice. Or have two sets of armor+helm :).

Leveling+gear:

L1-5: Whatever you find. All stats points into strength.

L6: Equip Sigon's. Civerb's Cudgel at level 9. Cathan's ring, Manald and Nokozan/Ettlich/Mahim's at the earliest opportunity.

L29: Steeldriver

L34: Upgrade Steeldriver to exceptional (which will have a level req of 34 then)

L45: Go shopping for echoing spears. I recommend nightmare Anya. If you still have the portal next to her, you can reset her inventory in a second.

L68: Windhammer.

Start replacing IK parts and rings/amus as soon as you meet their level req. If you cannot meet the str req of the armor and maul at L76, respec your barb.

As soon as you have finished the set, FEEL THE POWER by whirling through monsters like a knife is cutting through butter. Killing e.g. flayers in hell act 3 si like mowing the lawn. CS will be no problem and you can finally take revenge for those IM kills from older patch levels. Just don't be too reckless here, the doom knights hit hard and your barb has no shield.

Skills: Use WW prereqs until you can use WW itself without too many mana problems. Mace mastery is the only skill investing more than 1 point into at low levels, but as soon as points can be invested elsewhere, do it there first. Put 1 point into the L12-30 masteries and into berserk as soon as possible. Points beyond keeping WW at max are going into battle orders. Then finish mace mastery. Then BO synergies. If you screw up something: Doesn't matter, keep on leveling until L76, then respec in order to get it fixed.

Stats: Don't be stingy with str if it makes you able to equip gear ASAP. All the rest goes into vit. Noting in dex or energy. Take care that you meet the reqs of your gear withoutwithout charms, even if it seems to be a waste, else your party mambers will see him wearing just the helm.. and somebody in his underwear wearing a helm looks very silly.

Merc: Griswold's armor with IAS jewels, Tal's mask, Obedience in an eth elite polearm or Reaper's. You won't need him much, however.
  3. Banglafish

So the way this whole Immortal King Whirlwind Barbarian build work is by using the skills of a Whirlwind Barbarian, but having the whole equipment set of Immortal King? Also, which weapon specialization would be best to use? I'm currently using axes and I'm getting along very fine with them, but I just want to know if there's a better option. Luckily as well, by random chance, I've found a pair of gloves that have increased my damage by *16, so that really helps by a lot. Also, please do keep in mind that I'm fairly new to this game, so I don't know how to get the armor that you're referring to.
  4. krischan

I mentioned the set because it doesn't need many recources on bnet to buy it and it's mainly the weapon which makes melee builds expensive.

The set includes the weapon, so you will obviously have to use mace mastery, as I wrote.

If you are on battlenet, collect let's say 30 perfect gems (it might be twice as much or just half as much, I'm not sure) and have a look at the trading forum of your realm here.
  5. Banglafish

Is it absolutely necessary that I switch to mace mastery instead? I mean, I'm not really that well-informed in terms of maces and how they fare, but my axes seem to be doing really fine and they have damage enhancers as well(which is pretty good at my stage in the game). So what I'm saying is; can I use my own weapons and just get the Immortal King set as armor only?
  6. krischan

Obviousloy, axe mastery will not give any benefits when you fight with the IK maul which is a mace class weapon :). There are a lot of benefits which you will only get when wearing the whole set.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/sets/sets5.shtml#immortalking

Your axes might do fine now, but later on you will need axes which deal a lot more damage. You can try the Oath runeword on an ethereal, elite 4 socket axe, like small crescent, but you will need other good items as well.
  7. Banglafish

Okay, thanks for being so helpful so far. Seriously, I can enjoy the game now, thanks to you. Just one last thing before I consider this thread to be officially answered; how do you get the Immortal King set in the first place?
  8. Banglafish

I'm sorry to burden you even further, but how do you get the Immortal King set in the first place? I mean, thanks a lot man, because of you I can finally enjoy this game, but I just want an answer to this one last question please.

9. krischan

You can find all items except the maul and the armor in nightmare. The maul drops anywhere in act 2 hell mode and later while the armor only drops in high-level ares of hell. If you are on bnet, better collect gems and crafting items, in particular Ral runes, perfect amethysts (worth twice as much as the other perfect gems) and junk jewels and buy the set from that.
  10. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

In what realm do you play?