Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What can we do?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by SnickerSnack, Aug 25, 2012. | Replies: 17 | Views: 1392

1. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Even now, The D2 SPF often has more people viewing than this forum, and Shagsbeard was right when he said:

I want this thread to be a place to put up ideas for making the D3 SPF what the D2 SPF is/was. There are definitely barriers (like no offline - the main barrier), but I think we can come up with ways to make, for example, tourneys. We could make rules for tourneys like: you must make a character in a region in which you currently have no characters. No crafting, and if your tournament player dies, you must clear out your stash.

I think we need to find ways to draw mature, conscientious posters here and to show the D2 SPF that there's community in D3 as well. I don't know, but I have to guess that the D2 SPF had modest beginnings. Well, that's what we have now, but we'll soon become the powerhouse that the D2 SPF is/was!

Yes, soon we'll become the 8th most posted in board on the forums! Friendly jabbing there...... :)

2. DZJB

DZJB IncGamers Member

What's been pointed out on this forum before is absolutely correct: there are a lot of people still playing through the content. And our understanding of the game is just in it's baby shoes.

Tourneys are great, however, another barrier is the 10 char limit. I've started HC recently, and I plan on taking all classes through the content there too, which means I have no more room for mules, let alone tourney chars.

Also, we were different than others in D2 because of our special rule sets (single pass full clear people, GoMule, etc..) and there's enough of us that have similar rules in D3. I for one don't use the AH and practically never play co-op, and I've seen many people around here who do the same.

3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

D3 is in it's very early stages. People are still playing through the story (I've made it as far as Nightmare). There really isn't the game mechanic knowledge - or variety - that there is for D2. Add into the mix of constantly changing patches; which the D2 SPF have the ability to avoid and it's all a very different prospect to D2.

I'd love to see Tourney's - and I don't see why we can't use the honour system regards twinking - we've worked on that sytem for a long time. However, I think most tourney players are the ones happily trundling through slowly (which isn't a bad thing).

I've teamed a little but I prefer solo because I can read things. I won't use the AH.

To be honest, I think the biggest strength of the SPF was always game mechanic knowledge and until we can build that up, it's going to be tough.

4. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

Also keep in mind that most everyone in D2SPF was a refugee. At one point, most of us were Bnetters. Many made the switch because of duping and atmosphere on Bnet, while some came to the SPF after many years away to find the only really strong, knowledgeable D2 community left. None of those factors are in play, at least not yet.

Even the class boards are populated mostly by a few knowledgeable posters and a bunch of lurkers. Vast majority of the game population is still going to official forums for discussion. I wouldn't dream of it...dii.net ahem diii.net cough diablo.incgamers.com is the only place to be as far as I'm concerned. But it's going to be quite a while before truth, justice, and the grognard way win out and all the best come here.

5. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I typically come to forums because there are posts that inspire me to enjoy the game. I can't quite figure out why, but very few posts about D3 do this. The item find thread was a constant inspiration in D2SPF. Here, it's not... items just aren't interesting. They're better or worse, but nothing exceptinally different or oddball. The new legendaries work to some degree, but they're so rare as to not be a motivation to play. Storys about play are pretty bland too. All of them seem to be around ways of defeating inferno... which doesn't excite me to play either. I wont be in inferno for quite some time yet.

People are just too focused on beating the game rather than playing it. Those that have gotten past beating the game are out to change it. No one seems to want to talk about play.

6. Eric Xanthu

Granted, I'm pretty old now (35!) and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't remember a whole lot of "Just finished Act 3 NM!" threads in the good old D2SPF. I do remember a whole lot of Mat/Pat threads. Similarly, not a lot of MFOs were designed for level 49 and below. One of the main emphases of the D2SPF was "end-game play."

One thing that D2SPF had plenty of was odd build guides. There's a ton of underused skills in D3 and while many probably just stink I'm sure there's fun stuff to be found. That takes time to discover and perfect but there's no reason we couldn't have people discussing and sharing while they do it.

7. SnickerSnack

Hmmm, so what I'm getting is that we just need to do those things that are done in the D2SPF. I know that that is probably many months away (I was one of those people saying that we're still playing through the content), but I was hoping that some people would come up with kinds of tourneys (or whatever) during that time and post them here.

Also, there are three server regions, so you really have a 30 character limit. I'm pretty sure the only restriction to playing in a region you didn't register your account in is no RMAH. Although, lag might be a problem.

8. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

With the new legendaries we may be able to get more unusual builds. I saw a legendary weapon, on the AH, with high dexterity and boost to fire damage spells. If I got that on my Monk I'd investigate a build using fire skills such as Backlash.

I can't see myself playing D3 for that long, once I've played all the chars up to 60 and beaten Inferno on one of them I won't have much more left to do. I was going to try hardcore but between crashes and disconnects I don't fancy it. I had a crash yesterday and two disconnects today, imagine if I had lost three level 60s!

I can see myself going back to D2, I never did do that IK Barb :eek:.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  9. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Another thing to consider is that solo play in Diablo 3 is actually the norm. According to Blizz, more people were playing alone than in groups, a big reason for the recent HP scaling nerf for group play. I'm really hoping to see Pat/Mat threads. I always like reading about other people's journey through the game, what worked, what didn't.

10. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Solo play was the norm in D2 as well, we just didn't have statistics to prove it. Most players of D2 were happily playing solo/offline.

11. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

The trouble in attempting to make this forum rival the original SPF is that the source material is, in my opinion at least, vastly inferior. Not that Diablo III is a bad game. Diablo II is simply that good. It's bit like The Legend of Zelda series. Ocarina of Time was so good that all its successors, despite being very good games in their own right, inevitably fail to measure up.

12. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Let me educate you then.

Prior to the SPF being formed, as a general rule anybody professing to be a single/offine/open battle.net was considered to be a down right dirty hacking cheater. It led to quite a few heated arguements and a few people leaving (temporarily such as myself) and the mods busting out the two handed cruel collosus sword of banning.
    The SPF was formed so that people who wanted to stand up as legit single players could band together and form their own community. The rest is pretty much history as the SPF as we all know it developed.

D3 SPF doesn't have such a "beginning" derived from a need. Unlike D2 there is no single player, no open battle.net, we are all tossed into the same pool as all the "online" players.

More to post on the subject but im getting too many interuptions atm.

13. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

I haven't thought back to that period of D2 discussion in a long time (it was before the Great Wipe of '03), but you're quite right, I believe.

I would also have to agree that that game is still so new... things need to shake out. Maybe in a while, we'll see some oddball mat/pat threads as the new legendaries start to drop for people and perhaps make neat stuff possible.

That, and we still don't have the expansion. D3 currently reminds me a lot of D2C. Remember way back when the best thing for a bowazon was a well rolled rare gothic bow? We're not very far past that stage right now.

14. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Memory is a bit vague, but I thought it preluded the wipe of 2003 and possilby the wipe of 2001. I joined late 1999 a couple of months after release date (july 1999 if memory serves), got my butt flamed by several people dishing out on another self proclaimed "single player but i don't hack" so I left soon after. I posted on another D2 forum for a while untill mid to late 2000 when somebody told myself that there was now a single player forum at Dii for us. So I returned, worked up about 450-500 posts before the wipe in march 2001.

That's how I recall the events in amy case. Anyway, besides the point. back to the issue of the D3 SPF.

I feel that the SPF can exist with D3 along a similar theme. Players who either solo or multi player with other SPF'ers and self find items wise or trade only amongst ourselves and not the general D3 public.

For myself, Im outside of this however. Much as I loved d2 solo and using item mules then atma/go mule to accumilate thousands of pretty shinies, I find that this part of the game is gone with D3's restricted character and stash limit. How the heck would I store a D3 grail? Then there is the issues of trading with other SPF'ers across three different servers and time lines. I've got a number of fellow SPF'er in my friends list and I only see 3-4 of them online regularly.

So the exposure and potential to trade with other SPF'ers is pretty limited.

The other issue for myself is the attaction of the AH and the way the game is built around it. You could play self found and never use the AH if you wanted. But personally Im used to the shinies. Im a bit lost in D3 without my uberdin's, IK barb, 17k cheezer and tal rasha's forber. I'd never, ever be able to self find anything like those toys in D3 currently with it's current drop chance.
    So for myself I have to choose between self found and only find a handle full of legendries. The one's I have found are mostly monk and DH items and I play a wizard & barb currently. :badteeth: so practically if I play self found, I won't have the pretty shiny toys that I like and for myself, playing the game blizzard intended, a mixture of multi and solo play and trading in the AH, is more enticing while I realise that doing so puts myself outside the parameters of what I consider the SPF to be currently.

I've been a part of the SPF for a very long time as you can probably work out. So to put myself outside of it for D3 is a big issue for myself. Im torn between what I have known all these years and how I want to enjoy playing D3. Ultimately I feel that D3 is a flash in the pan game, that i'll enjoy playing it 2-3 times thru, similarly to playing mass effect on the xbox, then move on and play something else. This game is disposable so why does it matter if Im still a part of the D3 spf?

I'll always play d2 the way I have all these years. But d3 is a completely different kettle of fish without a single player off line mode.

15. Eric Xanthu

Just found a Maximus with crazy high int and fire%. I might have to make a Volcano Wizard. I have no idea what skill that will entail, but I'm copyrighting the name now!

16. angeldesignpro

angeldesignpro IncGamers Member

Nice! Probably meteor is the best target. Fire-based hydras are a little underwhelming, but the only fire-based signature spell is pretty good DPS wise, though not very useful strategically (erratic/short ranged).

Sadly disintegrate is arcane damage, that would have been fun :(

17. Caris

Caris IncGamers Member

Was roaming through the forum and old thread and found this. And Asmodeous' post made me go down memory lane....
    Anyway, I have been thinking the same thing as mentioned here. It seems like there are very few people in this forum, and alot of people have either stopped playing or posting or both, while the D2SPF is still full with activity and not only D2 relatet posts. I know I like to come there now and then to read mat/pats threads and other stuff.

So I was thinking if we can merge the 2 forums and make it a Diablo SPF regardless of what version you play. That way we all can be part of the same community.

18. SnickerSnack

If there was a D3 thread title tag, that would probably be okay, but then wouldn't all the d3 threads get buried?

And while I'm here:

I found one of those too, and I'm using it on my witch doctor.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?830114-Wots-yer-build&p=8498735&viewfull=1#post8498735

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013