Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What can Blizzard do to make the game multiplayer centric again?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by RazeBarb, Dec 11, 2012. | Replies: 21 | Views: 1154

1. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I don't know about you, but I stopped playing 6 weeks ago at paragon lvl75.
    Recently I jumped into a few runs again but that's it.

I played daily from release until 6 weeks ago. And I WANT to play again, but right now the game punishes you for playing with your friends.
    Play alone and you get: more XP, more gold, more items, fewer deaths and thus lesser downtime
    Play in a group and all of these perks are gone.
    Their approach of increasing monster health/damage for each additional player was flawed from the beginning.

The game should get easier and more rewarding when playing in a full group, or else I'll just play alone like I did since monster power got introduced.

So, what do you think? The best idea I've heard on the forums: An endless dungeon/tower where each floor has harder enemies and a chest which appears after clearing them out. Every 10 chests you get a really high - but not guaranteed - chance of finding a legendary.
    On top of that, the tower can only be entered with a full group. Only got 2 friends? Well, too bad! FULL PARTIES ONLY.
  2. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

They could for example make the random events and caves much, much harder and more rewarding so you needed to get a friend if you found one in the game (they should ofc not be that commonly found)

They could increase monster density in multiplayer games

They could add in more events such as hellfire. That's the only time I play multiplayer.

I'm quite sure they will do something, they've already tried with decreasing the amount of extra health monsters get from additional players. Problem is, all monsters die instantly on MP0, for some on MP1-3, and it's hard to run together with another person. So there's no gain from running with others, it's just more troublesome. And some classes, like barb and monk, need to gain resources from killing which is hard in multigames where others kill the monsters also. Better to play alone where you kill all the mobs easy yourself.
    If they made it more rewarding with higher difficulty games we maybe would've started to see some people playing together. But 25MF does not equal the extra 50% HP mobs get for each extra MP...
  3. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Like I said: make classes have more synergy.... Simply THAT would make people actually willing to go multiplayer. Make it so that 2 classes are not "2 single players beating the same group of mobs". Take the monk for example (the monk is the best class I know): he has a few skills that are superb for teams. Yet the numbers just lack:

-Healing: waay, waay to low range - it is next to impossible to "aim" this at your friend who quickly needs health.
    -sanctuary: also way to small/local. Again can't help a kiting class to really "kite less & hit more".
    -7ss: you disappearing means the mobs will full-target your friends. This isn't really bad, can be considered good actually: however top of that your friend will "draw them away" from the 7ss area, meaning it only hits about 3-4 times (and like 2 times for extra fast packs). So 7ss should "follow" the mobs, and choose the next target based around the current location of the target, not based on the casting location.
    -Mantra's: simply not enough range. Well range is good, however it would be much better if someone leaves the range the buff/debuff isn't removed instantly but instead over a duration of like 1-2 seconds. Gives the aura a more soft edge and easier to play with.

On top of that: as long as the ai is so unpredictable (who will the mobs target) there is no real teamplay. You might say "but it is better to target to glasscannon first". Yes in pvp that would be the case, but then in most moba games there are "taunts" to force you to attack someone else. As those are not there in d3 the mobs should be predictable so a tank can tank. And not have half the group suddenly run off.

Bottom line: I don't think multiplayer should become more rewarding (directly). But rather multiplayer should become more natural.
  4. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

I've been racking my brain and at this point, I can't think of any feature they could implement that would make me want to play multiplayer. On the other hand, I can think of a boatload of forced multiplayer features that would lead to me quitting the game if they were implemented. I'm curious to see what other posters come up with.
  5. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

I have lots of ideas to boost multiplayer, some easy and well-known, others off-the-wall.

1. Encourage people to use general chat. Switch it ON by default. Force people to switch it off if they don't want it.
    2. Split-screen / picture-in-picture mode, with objectives. Some of the most fun times I've had playing video games is Super Mario Kart, with its split-screen mode really adding a lot of fun to it. So this is my youve-got-your-chocolate-in-my-peanut-butter moment. You can race to be the first one to kill the Butcher on a new character. Or get the furthest without dying in 30 minutes. Multiplayer loses its appeal when your group member is several screens ahead andyou are feel like you are just racing to keep up. This way, you can always see them.
    3. Observer mode.
    4. PvP
    5. Battlegrounds
  6. themeros

themeros IncGamers Member

1. Random events that unlock when you have a specific multiplayer set up like:

- In a four Wizards party, if one casts Teleport, there is a slight chance the whole group gets randomly teleported to the act boss with added gold and MF % oO
    - Demon Hunters have a random chance to be overcome by their "Dark Side" and automatically start a 3v1 (in the middle of PvE) against his/her own party. Any slain player has a chance to drop an item as if they were a monster (not from inventory, but a new RnG item. Cannot happen during bosses)
    - If four female characters kill Azmodan, he drops exxxtra gold. Even more if they weren't wearing any armor (I had to add this one xD).
    - A four monk group can influence mobs to become "good" and fight on their side.
    - A four barbs group can randomly generate fear on mobs.
    - A "one of each" group (one is left out of course) has better chance to find item types for your class.

2. Certain new items, maybe new legendaries that can only drop if there are two or more players in the game. The item is not exclusive to multiplayer or anything, it just has a chance to drop only if there is more than one player in the screen.

2.5 Certain items have substantially higher chance to drop in multiplayer games and other items have higher chance to drop in single player games

3. Multiplayer specific random dungeons and events

4. Kills/deaths count for each multiplayer session every x minutes. The winner of every session gets a random bonus, buff, item or whatever.
  7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Maybe it would be enough to simply raise the mf/gf % cap by 50% for each additional player in the game.
  8. JEB90

JEB90 IncGamers Member

Well, they could do the three simplest fixes: scale experience, scale drops, and let people bring their mercs. I'm pretty sure some other game did that successfully in the past.
  9. Odoakar

Odoakar IncGamers Member

More synergy between skills...remember sorcs running with conviction pally, barbs with fanatic pally, druid with heart of oak, barb with shouts...it was a great game to play in mp.

Also, 4 players is too few.
  10. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Why does everyone keep focussing on the rewards? Instead of focussing on making multiplayer actually more enjoyable/usefull? Really take a look at league of legends: there you know that 1 v 1 is not even close to a real game (4v4), they should do that in d3 too: 4-man should give a whole different feeling, a more complete feeling than 1 man teams.
  11. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Simple and effective. I like it. :thumbup:
  12. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Because the rewards are what multiplayer is missing compared to single player. Equalize the rewards and you've equalized singleplayer vs multiplayer; people who prefer to do either one are now on a level playing field instead of feeling like they should be doing just one of the two.
  13. Tomsch

Tomsch IncGamers Member

Well, multiplayer games are easier because monsters only get 70% more health by player, plus you have mantras and other shared skills.
  14. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

In lol the fastest way to rack xp & ip (all the rewards that directly are available) is much, much faster when one goes custom games & solos the game.. Than using normal 4v4 games.

YET THE FUN MAKES MULTIPLAYER MUCH MORE POPULAR. - even for low lvls.

Why can't diablo 3 do this? Make me (or the others) feel actually useful in multiplayer. Now it is always 1 person who carries the whole group, someone whos equipment outshines others simply does everything. And the rest is just walking behind him. They can't even support him - because there are no ways to support someone directly
  15. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

League of Legends happens to not be an ARPG; as far as I know PVP is the main point of the game, not finding items and gaining levels. It is a strong contender for the "Game Least Relevant to D3" award. Looking to it for pointers is ridiculous.
  16. Tomsch

Tomsch IncGamers Member

You didn't play this game, right?
  17. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Criticizing D3 because it's not like LoL warrants the red herring of the year award. One is a PvP game where teamwork is mandatory... one is a PvE game designed for drop-in/drop-out multiplayer. No one plays LoL because they want to solo -- if they do they must be really cash-constrained and are playing the wrong game. People play it because they like PvP -- that's why "multiplayer" (aka the game) is much more popular. That's like saying "Playing multiplayer is more popular in TF2, " which, duh.

I'm sure there are tons of people doing ubers or key runs at high MP which all feel useful as part of a group. Yes, MP0 is a zergfest brainless cakewalk, but that's not entirely the game's fault for making you feel unvalued in multiplayer, that's also your fault for not finding a group of people with which you can take on the appropriate content. (And I say this as someone that has never played a second of multiplayer D3.)
  18. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

They should just create a whole new gamemode for D3, like the endless tower I mentioned in the OP.
    I agree that forced groups may be a bit much, though. They should give us bonuses that make it worthwhile to play in a full group.

I don't know if more MF/GF is a solution because soon every core gamer would play in a 4xlvl100 game where everyone has really high MF anyway.

An expansion could add more different item system to accomplish more depth. If we get charms AND talismans as drops, there would already be 2 new itemtypes which could be used as special rewards.
    But maybe they keep the talisman as a static "enhanced paperdoll" and don't make it an itemtype, who knows.
  19. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

What does a moba game make so much different from an RPG?

Seriously...

It is both about beating enemies: and in one game you beat other humans, in the other game you beat endless hordes of ais. The gameplay is strikingly similar to be frank: both you control 1 character, who can use a few (4?!) skills to beat the opponent. In both you can use the environment to get minor - but decisive - advantages. Both depend on fast reaction/decisions making skills to actually become stronger. And with the suggestions I gave (a taunt to take aggression away from your friends, a heal that actually is target-able, aura's that actually make a team stronger) also multiplayer gets the a similar feeling.

Really I (and my playstyle) in diablo 3 is closer to league of legends than -say- dragon age:eek:rigins, or elder scrolls:eek:blivion. Heck I find diablo 3 to have more similarities to league of legends than to diablo 2.

Anyways the main point I keep trying to make is:
    To make multiplayer succesful, blizzard has to make sure the sum of the parts is better than the parts alone. - Really better rewards would just make the game in a 4-player-single-player-mode. Everyone does his own thing in public multiplayer at the moment, hardly noticing others. THAT should be changed; a team with teamwork should far, far more than currently outshine a team without good teamwork.
    Teamwork itself should be the reward.
  20. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

The game shouldnt be more multiplayer centric. People "should" play multiplayer because it is more fun and enjoyable for them.

If that is lacking (and to some degree it is), then that is what Blizzard should try to improve.

Making myultiplayer give more rewards etc. than solo would hurt the game much much more than it would help it.